Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zandor

Multi floor elevator, stacking floors...?

I recently saw in some really old DOOM wads, this guy made an elevator that could go up and down between like 5 floors, so basically the elevator would be at whatever floor you were on and the elevator would act as your hub to move between the floors.

Obviously to pull this off you would need to be able to stack floors, as in have a floor, then have another floor directly above that, I don't know if I'm just missing it, or using the wrong editor, but I can't put floors above or below other floors.

Help?

How do you make a multi functional elevator that can go up and down, and stack floors?

3D floors are a feature specific to advanced ports, specifically ZDoom. See here for usage reference info: http://zdoom.org/wiki/Sector_Set3DFloor. To have this very feature available, you should map in UDMF format, which means to use "ZDoom: Doom in UDMF format" editor config. (alternatively "ZDoom: Doom in Hexen format", but UDMF is better) (or alternatively "ZDoom: Doom in Doom format" and find the respective linedef action, but again, when you already map for ZDoom, UDMF is the best format to choose)

The elevator itself could probably best be coded in ZDoom's ACS.

You can do it in Doom Legacy using standard Boom's elevator linedef type with buttons for up/down and a bunch of 3D floors stacked on each other. You just need floors at specific heights (they can be hidden by being 0 units tall) so the elevator knows where to go to. If there are no more floors above or below the elevator will refuse to move.

You can also do it in standard Boom, although you cannot have sector over sector.

Alternatively in Vanilla Doom, you can have a switch which raises/lowers to the next floor when a button is pressed. Vanilla Doom might lack lower to next, but you can always lower to the first floor then raise back up again one by one.

scifista42 said:

3D floors are a feature specific to advanced ports, specifically ZDoom. See here for usage reference info: http://zdoom.org/wiki/Sector_Set3DFloor. To have this very feature available, you should map in UDMF format, which means to use "ZDoom: Doom in UDMF format" editor config. (alternatively "ZDoom: Doom in Hexen format", but UDMF is better) (or alternatively "ZDoom: Doom in Doom format" and find the respective linedef action, but again, when you already map for ZDoom, UDMF is the best format to choose)

The elevator itself could probably best be coded in ZDoom's ACS.

3D floors existed in Doom Legacy long before ZDoom got them, you can also use the Boom elevator action which would not require any scripting at all.