Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Soundblock

Doom Builder(s) random misalignment

Is there a common mistake or bug that causes random misalignments to get splashed across large portions of a map? I get this from time to time, and its a time killer to fix. Happens in both Doom Builder 2.1 and GZDoom Builder.

So the problem is, that perfectly aligned portions of the map (often ones left at 0x, 0y) will without warning become a seemingly random, and usually small, number.

Anyone experienced this and found a remedy?

Usually this happens to me when one of two things happens:

1. A vertex is moved or a line is split by a vertex.

2. The autoalign function is managing to find a connection composed of the same textures between two areas.

Change of alignment legitimately happens in multiple ways, for example by:

-Deleting vertices (changes linedef offsets to "random" one of adjanced linedefs).
-Accidental autoalign (either accidentally pressing "A", or due to an overlooked same-texture connection between unrelated areas, making autoalign affect more areas than intended).
-Accidentally holding and dragging a walltexture in visual mode (changes linedef offsets).

The mapper is to blame for his own problems in these cases. :)

Let's not forget differing ceiling heights will lead to walls without unpegged flags to not only be misaligned, but to constantly misalign when the autoalign feature is used. I would think that the unpegged flags would be used more often, but I suppose some mappers just manually align them and leave em. Idk though, I'm a slow mapper, so maybe I just do everything the long way.

scifista42 said:

Change of alignment legitimately happens in multiple ways, for example by:

-Deleting vertices (changes linedef offsets to "random" one of adjanced linedefs).
-Accidental autoalign (either accidentally pressing "A", or due to an overlooked same-texture connection between unrelated areas, making autoalign affect more areas than intended).
-Accidentally holding and dragging a walltexture in visual mode (changes linedef offsets).

The mapper is to blame for his own problems in these cases. :)

I must have been occasionally clutzing the "A" button while using ESDF to move. Oh well. Saved me from starting a new thread on where the autoalign functions are!

Remapping "A" to somewhere more human friendly...

Soundblock said:

I must have been occasionally clutzing the "A" button while using ESDF to move. Oh well. Saved me from starting a new thread on where the autoalign functions are!

Remapping "A" to somewhere more human friendly...

I use ctrl-a to avoid hitting it accidentally all the time, with the nice side effect of being able to put the movement keys on wasd where they belong.

Although possibly unrelated, this happened to me with node builders (such as the one intended for ZDoom) which created a bunch of misaligned wall textures when played in some ports such as Vanilla.

GhostlyDeath said:

Although possibly unrelated, this happened to me with node builders (such as the one intended for ZDoom) which created a bunch of misaligned wall textures when played in some ports such as Vanilla.

This was a bug in some versions of ZDBSP from around a decade ago. If it's still happening to you, you're waaaay overdue to update.