Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zandor

BRUTAL DOOM editor?

I've been asking a few questions around the forums recently, and after some research I stumbled across brutal doom. Is there a way to make and edit levels for the brutal doom mod, just like we can for doom and doom 2?

More specifically, I guess you would load the Brutal Doom PK3 as a resource, in either of those programs

Dunno, I don't play the mod. I see no reason why it shouldn't though.
I just realised though, you could also just make a normal map in whatever format (still using either of those programs) and test it only with brutal doom since I guess that would amount to the same thing, without use of resources.

Looks like I've got some testing to do tonight. I wanna make a chapter of 9 levels. Already got 1 down, but I'm still trying to decide which version of doom i want to use along with setting rules and whatnot to my map making.

SavageCorona said:

No, there is no such thing.

Awwww don't tell me that! Totally just crushed my dreams!

Wouldn't mapping for Brutal Doom just be the same as mapping for regular Doom? Unless they've added all kinds of new decorate stuff, I thought it just heavily altered the gameplay...

Zandor said:

Awwww don't tell me that! Totally just crushed my dreams!

Brutal Doom isn't something SO special, that everything that's not Brutal Doom wont work. Brutal Doom is a GAMEPLAY mod, not a MAP mod.

Say, you made a map for vanilla Doom II, and load it with Brutal Doom... It. Works. Fine. It depends on you whether the map...suits

Maps and gameplay are two elements of Doom. They both can run with each other no matter what.

So... Your answer?
A normal Doom editor, like Slade, DoomBuilder and etc.

Remember: GAMEPLAY MOD. Any map can have that gameplay and any gameplay can be in any map.

NOTE: unless you are talking about editing the game logic of Brutal Doom, Then at least try Slade.

See RayZik? Same thing he's/she's saying.

PS- Yes. Brutal Doom maps are just plain Doom maps. Literally

Voros said:

Brutal Doom isn't something SO special, that everything that's not Brutal Doom wont work. Brutal Doom is a GAMEPLAY mod, not a MAP mod.

Say, you made a map for vanilla Doom II, and load it with Brutal Doom... It. Works. Fine. It depends on you whether the map...suits

Maps and gameplay are two elements of Doom. They both can run with each other no matter what.

So... Your answer?
A normal Doom editor, like Slade, DoomBuilder and etc.

Remember: GAMEPLAY MOD. Any map can have that gameplay and any gameplay can be in any map.

NOTE: unless you are talking about editing the game logic of Brutal Doom, Then at least try Slade.

See RayZik? Same thing he's/she's saying.

PS- Yes. Brutal Doom maps are just plain Doom maps. Literally

Hope remains! No I don't wanna change game logic, just load up a map that I make in the Brutal Doom mod.

Isn't building and populating the antithesis of Brutal Doom? Unless you want to open other people's maps and delete them piece by piece with gory effects...

I wonder why Brutal Doom is so special. I must admit it's hilarious (just like John Romero said during the interview with IGN), but it's just another gameplay mod for Doom; It's not a standalone game. Why do you need Brutal Doom editor while you can create a level for brutal doom with conventional level editors?

Are the levels exclusively for Brutal Doom stand out? I don't think so.

Zandor said:

I've been asking a few questions around the forums recently, and after some research I stumbled across brutal doom. Is there a way to make and edit levels for the brutal doom mod, just like we can for doom and doom 2?

... Eh?

Just use GZDoom Builder with BD's .pk3-file, that's easy.

Zandor said:

Has anybody done this though, and does it work?

Sure it does. By design any Doom Builder use any .wad\.pk3 as resource package. So then, if you'll try to test your selfmade level with Brutal Doom it will work. BUT, only if you starting it with correct port ({G}ZDoom\Zandronum)

Lie everyone else said here, add brutalv20.pk3 to the resources with your Doom Iwad in Any level editor you want to use .

You need to use Brutal Doom Builder, which is the only editor that supports the Brutal WAD format. Then you can run your map in GZBrutalDoom. You will need the official Brutal Keyboard and Brutal Mouse to play, though.

Spoiler

That's a joke!

J.B.R said:

Also Sgt.Mark IV is creating a megawad that will make use of Brutal Doom.

I made something that was originally for BD but it is now for any mod and vanilla play: http://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/addons/brutalized-doom-and-doom-ii . It's more faithful to the original maps since I built on top of them for a bigger challenge.

Also, play other mods as well as some definitely do deserve more love.

@Technician: lol

Brutal Doom is just a gameplay mod. You can make maps for Brutal Doom by making normal maps as you normally would, and play them with Brutal Doom. How simple!

As many already stated, Brutal Doom is a game mod. It piggybacks off current assets and adds its own alterations and additions. It doesn't have a dedicated builder however existing builders can be used and tested immediately via the builder (testing the map directly through the builder will cause anomalies but don't be alarmed, it will work perfectly when launched correctly).

I strongly recommend GZBuilder (as editor) and Zandronum (as sourceport) like I am. Just be aware that once you make a map dedicated to a Brutal Doom using any other BD version or Doom sourceport will likely break the balancing and any triggers. My current project is strictly BD v19, using v20 or ZDoom / GZDoom will cause strange behavior and some half broken triggers. Any sourceport designed for vanilla Doom probably can't even load it, therefore limiting your audience to a niche (in the doom world parts anyway).

Title makes me think of a version of doom builder that creates blood splats everywhere you click, and every time you delete something from the map it blows up. Meanwhile, the dialogue bar at the bottom left keeps telling the mapper to go fuck himself in all caps.

Marnetmar said:

Title makes me think of a version of doom builder that creates blood splats everywhere you click, and every time you delete something from the map it blows up. Meanwhile, the dialogue bar at the bottom left keeps telling the mapper to go fuck himself in all caps.

And earraping screams each time you save etc.

And while the program is running the wallpaper should be changed to some brutality close-up.

Closing the program will tear the window apart with blood, guts and bones and a revenant will come out of your monitor and slap you brutally (you'll explode)