Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
antares031

Is Strife: Veteran Edition worth to buy?

I realized that I've never played Strife before, while I managed to beat vicious puzzles of Heretic and Hexen to the end. And I watched a video review of Strife by Accursed Farms, which made me want to try that one. So I searched the internet to get one, and I found Strife: Veteran Edition on Steam with some positive customer reviews. But before I get that one on my Steam account, I want to listen the opinions about repackaged version of Strife from here. Any comments who tried this one will be appreciated.

If you want Strife, then this is the official and legal way to obtain it. Praise Night Dive Studios, Kaiser and Quasar for making it possible.

Is it realistic to hope to beat Strife without saves? Or does it have bullshit instant death traps like in Hexen? I'm not able to enjoy Doom-like games with saves anymore.

Memfis said:

Is it realistic to hope to beat Strife without saves? Or does it have bullshit instant death traps like in Hexen? I'm not able to enjoy Doom-like games with saves anymore.

It's got a few instant-death pits if you happen to fall into them, but as far as I know there are no actual instant death traps.

Memfis said:

It's not really that kind of game. The game is basically one big hub with quests to perform. So playing pistol start on each map or whatever isn't really an option.

Memfis said:

Has traps, but even worse, some enemies can kill in seconds, especially cyborgs and mechs, so don't count on it, unless you play carefully and tactically.

Unlike Doom and like Hexen, deaths aren't so drastic: they just reload the game from the moment you entered the map. You don't get penalized for it with the risk of ruining the game.

To answer OP, yes it is worth buying.

To answer Memfis' question, yes it is possible to get through without saving... but don't expect to do so without trouble the first time around; the Sigil-wielding bosses will probably paste you a couple of times.

I can see some positive comments here. I might get one in the next week since the thanksgiving sale season is near. Thanks, guys. :)

It is the best way to play Strife. And you can choose between vanilla or improved.

I got it on Steam, day 1!

i'm not sure why you would try to beat this game without saving manually a couple of times, just because it's a Doom-engine game. it's a wholly different beast from Doom, focusing on story, dialogue-choices leading to branching paths, and upgrading your gear with gold and such as you progress through the game. Doom is an arcade-style run and gun shooter with some switch-puzzles and keys thrown in to keep you busy.

that being said, i've never actually beat Strife myself, so i dunno how good it is because i've gotten bored by it early on. it's definitely not a bad game though, i'm just spoiled at the mods and content that Doom has.

There's only one real game over and its very early on, basically if you run into someone that seems shifty, DO NOT TAKE HIS ADVICE.

Strife is an awesome RPG Doom game!
so...if you enjoy reading text to understand your goals and love that exploring and firefight zones/events, then it is worth it!

I remember the first time I tried Strife...LOL... Thought you only had to kill everyone like in Doom!

I dunno, do people still play games with saves? Personally I don't see the point since obviously you can eventually win if you have such godlike abilities. Eternally living unkillable human couldn't get excited about anything in a war.

In my experience, the game got stale and showed signs of being unfinished in my later replays, but it's certainly a good time the first time around before you become acutely familiar with it and its flaws.

Veteran Edition is a damn good update, very worth it. I'd say get it just to support Quasar and Kaiser. Sure would be nice if Nightdive would be a little more active with GoG...

Since Strife is such a big game (especially if you don't know the fastest solutions to the quests), you're gonna have to save, no doubt about it, unless you just sit there for hours upon hours. However, you could punish yourself by deleting the save after a death, a.l.a. rougelikes.

Cyanosis said:

There's only one real game over and its very early on, basically if you run into someone that seems shifty, DO NOT TAKE HIS ADVICE.

Veteran Edition changed it to not game over you. Instead you just end back up at the original start point.

Memfis said:

I dunno, do people still play games with saves? Personally I don't see the point since obviously you can eventually win if you have such godlike abilities.

Depends on the game, really. Are you saying you'd play any game without saving progress at any point? I find this hard to believe, unless you only play a small pool of some very specific (and/or short) games. Anyway, on topic, Strife isn't like Doom; it doesn't have independent levels in the same sense that Doom does, and you can't just skip around pistol (or punch dagger) starting random maps out of sequence hoping to win, because you won't have required inventory items to do so.

Strife is one big adventure that doesn't explicitly require saves to go through it entirely, but in that case you'd better be ready to sit down for one long session.

Memfis said:

Eternally living unkillable human couldn't get excited about anything in a war.

Well, speak for yourself. If that was me, I'd just use each war to see if I could improve my personal kill count while winning said war myself at the same time.

I wish I didn't have to pay for it since I already have the original Strife, but I guess I'll just have to.

I guess I was just too young or something when this game came out but I could never get past the first or second area, or something. Maybe I just had the demo and I can't remember now? I always thought it was extremely difficult and I specifically remember getting stuck at one point - not physically stuck, but locked in one area.

BaronOfStuff said:

unless you only play a small pool of some very specific (and/or short) games

Well yeah, that's pretty much it... Imo after playing a lot of wads from pistol start without saves it's almost impossible to find another good game. Almost nothing compares to that thrill, only other games with "pistol start" where you can play levels in any order, like Supaplex for example.

What is actually the difference between the '90's version of Strife with this "new" Veteran Edition? Revamped graphics don't count unless something else came into the picture. Is Veteran just compatible without DosBox? Really, what's the main difference that makes it called"The Original Strife: Veteran Edition"? Please don't say graphics. PLEASE...

Voros said:

What is actually the difference between the '90's version of Strife with this "new" Veteran Edition? Revamped graphics don't count unless something else came into the picture. Is Veteran just compatible without DosBox? Really, what's the main difference that makes it called"The Original Strife: Veteran Edition"? Please don't say graphics. PLEASE...

If only the Doom community had some sort of collaborative website where we could document in detail the answers to this kind of question... It would be so great.
http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Strife:_Veteran_Edition

Memfis said:

elitism about pistol starts and no saves

This is my total playtime after finishing it once

Probably not a great plan to go through the entire thing not saving your progress unless you're a speedrunner or you have a really big appetite for running around a confusing map and getting shot by complete cunts who don't know what the easy difficulty is meant to be.

Avoozl said:

I wish I didn't have to pay for it since I already have the original Strife, but I guess I'll just have to.

Well it's not the original game in Dosbox, but a new engine/port. So I think it's worth it even for people that have the original game.

BaronOfStuff said:

To answer OP, yes it is worth buying.

To answer Memfis' question, yes it is possible to get through without saving... but don't expect to do so without trouble the first time around; the Sigil-wielding bosses will probably paste you a couple of times.

In all honesty, the only enemies to really give you trouble are Inquisitors. Imagine a cyberdemon that shoots two fast grenades at you. Now imagine it flying.

VGA said:

Well it's not the original game in Dosbox, but a new engine/port. So I think it's worth it even for people that have the original game.

The point is source ports used to be free and simply require the wad file from the original game regardless of DOSBox, it's just that I'm too used to that idea.

Avoozl said:

The point is source ports used to be free

It's still free.

https://github.com/svkaiser/strife-ve

Feel free to compile it yourself, or ask for someone to compile it for you. Then tada! free SVE port. You won't get the extra content such as new maps, bugfixed maps, etc. but you'll get the port and it'll work with the original game data.