Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wallabra

Castle Dasböurg: Community Project (MAP10 and MAP11 now open, seeking for musicians!)

This map DOES deserve a separate thread! Or does...
Here is the Castle Dasböurg, the castle in Germany that was taken by demons a very long time after the end of WWII. So now you must battle through it.
=========
Castle Dasböurg is not only the name of the MAP01 of the WAD, but the community project for castle maps that goes after this map (up to MAP10MAP11!!!). Send your entry and Good Luck!

Contest Rules:

• Only <a secret small amount> will be accepted into the final wad!
  • Unlimited limit entries per contestant.
  • No WAD from people other than the submitter!!!
  • ONLY castle-themed maps! (think of it as something similiar to my map here)
  • DON'T submit entries for slots after MAP11, nor for the MAP01 (which I already have a map)!!
PS: This wad has only MAP01.

This map is a result of me trying to think larger, in larger maps. Three traps! (and their appropriate script)

Download! Then play then submit your entries to the castle maps contest.

Mappers and Slots
MAP02 - None...
MAP03 - None...
MAP04 - None...
MAP05 - Memfis and rayzik - unnamed (WIP)
MAP06 - None...
MAP07 - None...
MAP08 - joe-ilya - Bloody Barrack (WIP)
MAP09 - None...
MAP10 - None...
MAP11 - None...

MIDIs
None so far...

walter confalonieri said:

looks pretty 1994-ish... downloaded.

Good luck with the project!

Thanks. It is a try I won't give up.

Gustavo6046 said:

It is a try I won't give up.

Yeah, why would you give up a try to make other people work for you and then release their work associated with your name.

scifista42 said:

Yeah, why would you give up a try to make other people work for you and then release their work associated with your name.

I will give credits to them and upload the project to /idgames. Try not to stress me :D
Do you at least know what is a community project!? We don't steal other people stuff like you said.

I meant it a little differently: Not that you would misadvertise their works as your own, but that you would feel like the project's outcome is your own merit, while it's really the merit of people who actually contributed the good stuff. Honestly, there is probably a reason why people don't accept your maps into their community projects, the reason being that your maps are not very good, and it seems like a desperate move from you to compensate it by starting your own project and inviting other people to make maps for it instead.

scifista42 said:

I meant it a little differently: Not that you would misadvertise their works as your own, but that you would feel like the project's outcome is your own merit, while it's really the merit of people who actually contributed the good stuff. Honestly, there is probably a reason why people don't accept your maps into their community projects, the reason being that your maps are not very good, and it seems like a desperate move from you to compensate it by starting your own project and inviting other people to make maps for it instead.

Please don't be rude! Playtest the map or submit a entry if you want some job in the Castle.

Memfis said:

it was intended to be a relatively easy map

I didn't made it so far, I got lost on your map! Can I put it in slot 05 or 06 instead?

I played Dasböurg. There's really not much there to talk about. It's extremely short, the combat can be easily avoided, scripting is unnecessary, texturing/lighting is drab, and it's kind of impulsive to create a community project when you're still somewhat "unproven". I'm sounding like a wet blanket here but I think you should be realistic. Work on a single map and try to refine your strengths, rather than attempting to start a project you're likely to abandon two months down the road. I mean if the project works and gains traction, that's great! But something tells me a lot of people won't likely participate, and that opening map is a good indicator of why they won't.

Memfis said:

Yeah sure, you can decide the slot by yourself, I won't mind.

I also grabbed your map, and with a lack of anything else to do lately, I'm taking a shot at finishing it. So far I've gone through and replaced all the textures that were missing and did a bunch of texturing changes to make the theme a little more coherent. Will update here at a later time.

Judging from the screenshot, there really doesn't seem to be that much thought put into this project or its goals yet. Sure, there might be people interested in this (and I can say, the idea sounds cool though: single player campaign set in a castle), but I wouldn't have too high hopes because of what you've shown so far. Idea doesn't get you far, you need execution and you're relying too much on others' work.

I'd really suggest you just make some big bad-ass map that you spend time on (design and visual) and show what you're capable of. So far, your stuff is mostly just about counting clock on how fast you can make some kind of map that really doesn't give player much, if anything. Also, you seem to start too many projects (which is not good in this stage of your development of skill). Just focus on one thing and don't clock your time spent on it.

I recently talked with people at Zandronum IRC and some agree to join the project. The(ir) maps will be very good imho!

SotaPoika said:

Judging from the screenshot, there really doesn't seem to be that much thought put into this project or its goals yet. Sure, there might be people interested in this (and I can say, the idea sounds cool though: single player campaign set in a castle), but I wouldn't have too high hopes because of what you've shown so far. Idea doesn't get you far, you need execution and you're relying too much on others' work.

I'd really suggest you just make some big bad-ass map that you spend time on (design and visual) and show what you're capable of. So far, your stuff is mostly just about counting clock on how fast you can make some kind of map that really doesn't give player much, if anything. Also, you seem to start too many projects (which is not good in this stage of your development of skill). Just focus on one thing and don't clock your time spent on it.

I fail at calming down, I should take a coffee, and making maps slowly, doing linedef by linedef, detail by detail...

Your screenshot is horribly horrible, I can tell that by the screenshot, is that the best section in the map?
Not saying I'm better than you, but you need to develop your mapping skills more, I tried to make you understand mapping by tuning-up your other map, but you just don't listen. That said, I can make something simple for this simple CP(which will probably fall apart before I even finish my map)

Gustavo6046 said:

I recently talked with people at Zandronum IRC and some agree to join the project. The(ir) maps will be very good imho!

I fail at calming down, I should take a coffee, and making maps slowly, doing linedef by linedef, detail by detail...

Yeah, it can be difficult at times when you start something cool and you get to create things, being so excited about it all. You've achieved already something many don't even if they want to: creating content for a game you like. Now just keep on making thequality stuff, as that is what matters from now on. :)

I decided to tune it up a bit and make it great, so...
- It has now varied lightning.
- More traps!
- More useful script.
- Fun, balancement and Boy, an Archvile! (of course, with lots of medikits)
- Longer map!
- And much, much more! (custom texture included)
Click this to download! (also in the OP updated)

joe-ilya said:

Your screenshot is horribly horrible, I can tell that by the screenshot, is that the best section in the map?

It was the worse one. I am a horrible screenshotter ;)
EDIT: Anyone to FDA the map?

I've done something I have never done before with this post: play a Doom wad offline without streaming/LP'ing for the purposes of providing feedback.

-Why do you have 2 secrets on the castle walls that arent really? An obviously lying around SSG is a "secret"?
-Yellow keycard room. Too easily avoided and the use of "invisible until they shoot" hitscan enemies was at least only done with the shotgunners, but I hated that crap in other wads and I didn't like it here either. You should perhaps consider adding a switch on the wall where the shotgunners/chaingunners are to deny the player an easy escape. There's enough health kits in the room it seems to absorb the damage from the ambush to make this possible.
-Godsphere/Cacodemon room. Might have been more interesting if it was a soulsphere instead (it's not like there's been any challenge up to this point), and the cacos werent immediately trapping the player in a box. Perhaps make the room a touch bigger, add some pillars in it so the encounter is more difficult/entertaining?
-The red key Archvile seems fine if it's meant to be one you quickly grab the key from and escape, as at this point I ran out of ammo after dealing with the Revs. If intentional, the ammo starvation seems just about fine for blitzing past this part and punching the chaingunner in the red door; otherwise, consider adding a tiny bit more ammo to the level.
-You can bugger off with the "invisible until it attacks" Pinky too past the red door.
-The text with the Baron at the end was painfully immature and reminded me of something you'd see in a dumb Terry wad. Not at all clever.
-Would a bit of texture variety/detailing really have hurt? This level looked dull.
-Also that giant outside area is dying for a bit more action to happen in the centre than just a few Imps.

Hope this feedback helps.

Suitepee said:

I've done something I have never done before with this post: play a Doom wad offline without streaming/LP'ing for the purposes of providing feedback.

-Why do you have 2 secrets on the castle walls that arent really? An obviously lying around SSG is a "secret"?
-Yellow keycard room. Too easily avoided and the use of "invisible until they shoot" hitscan enemies was at least only done with the shotgunners, but I hated that crap in other wads and I didn't like it here either. You should perhaps consider adding a switch on the wall where the shotgunners/chaingunners are to deny the player an easy escape. There's enough health kits in the room it seems to absorb the damage from the ambush to make this possible.
-Godsphere/Cacodemon room. Might have been more interesting if it was a soulsphere instead (it's not like there's been any challenge up to this point), and the cacos werent immediately trapping the player in a box. Perhaps make the room a touch bigger, add some pillars in it so the encounter is more difficult/entertaining?
-The red key Archvile seems fine if it's meant to be one you quickly grab the key from and escape, as at this point I ran out of ammo after dealing with the Revs. If intentional, the ammo starvation seems just about fine for blitzing past this part and punching the chaingunner in the red door; otherwise, consider adding a tiny bit more ammo to the level.
-You can bugger off with the "invisible until it attacks" Pinky too past the red door.
-The text with the Baron at the end was painfully immature and reminded me of something you'd see in a dumb Terry wad. Not at all clever.
-Would a bit of texture variety/detailing really have hurt? This level looked dull.
-Also that giant outside area is dying for a bit more action to happen in the centre than just a few Imps.

Hope this feedback helps.

Great review! It is surely something remarkably helpful in the story of this CP.
Overall, what do you think of the WAD?

Gustavo6046 said:

Great review! It is surely something remarkably helpful in the story of this CP.
Overall, what do you think of the WAD?

Seems like something I'd see from a newbie mapper to be honest, bar from the irritating "invisible until they attack" enemies. A functional but not terribly interesting map.

Gustavo6046 said:

Contest Rules:

• No WAD from other people!!!

This is my favourite community project: one that does not involve community contributions.

an_mutt said:

This is my favourite community project: one that does not involve community contributions.

It actually means you must not submit a WAD that isn't yours. For example. some guy post UACMN in this thread knowing it's not theirs. TOTALLY prohibited!

I saw 1st map.

I believe I ... errrr.... =\ my knowledge of eng lang makes me feel awful.

=====

Okay because some unknown reason I took DB and made simple 'entrance' map for your project. Because your map in Zdoom format I've done same thing. Now you have simplest level which greet player without anything but 'vanilla'-feeling.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3e0fifpjv9354gq/ent.wad?dl=0

And now I must to finish my current map for DWCMP'15.

Here's is Memfis's map after I got my hands on it. Populated with only UV difficulty settings currently and no multiplayer. Made it only require vanilla Doom 2 textures, not sure if it requires limit-removing capability or if it is within vanilla limits. I cbf to check that.

I tried to keep the map logic and original layout as it was, only modifying what was necessary to make it work, and then adding in parts in order to flesh it out into a state where it can be played through.

Link: http://1drv.ms/1Off5Ij

Yes it's a very cool map. Let me play through it and check it's slot.
EDIT: Very cool map, but I didn't found any way to the red key. Either way it gave me mapping thinking XD