Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FLAW_88

My only real complaint from what's been shown

Chezza said:

I start all my games on medium all the time, I believe it's as intended difficulty for most games, especially if you're not new to gaming.

Pretty Much this.

Some games even go so far as to tag the difficulty levels as like, Manshoot3000 might have "Easy - for new gamers", "Medium - for experienced gamers", "Hard - for very experienced ManShoot3000 players who want an extra challenge"

Chezza said:

I start all my games on medium all the time, I believe it's as intended difficulty for most games, especially if you're not new to gaming.

Same with me, afterwards I'll bump up the difficulty.

Am I the only person who likes Hugo Martin's work?
I honestly think the glowing lights and shiny surfaces really fits DOOM well.
It really accentuates the whole "Futuristic Techbase on Mars" kind of feel.

And I think his work is definitely colorful enough.
Color is very good, and he does it well, in fact, if anything, even better than the original DOOM games.
Now look, I know I'm going to piss someone off when I say this, but the original DOOM games didn't have a very good sense of color balance. I understand that the whole point was "Would it look cool?", but the issue is that they didn't set enough limits for themselves.
Blue carpets against green brick walls covered in some sort of red metal and grey computers may look ok in a low res game, but you try doing that in a more realistic setting and style, and it won't transfer well in the slightest. You simply can't re-create DOOM 1 and 2 well in a realistic environment, while sticking to the original art style. In all honesty, it's just far too cartoony, which isn't a bad thing in those games cases. As I said, it's fine there.
But Hugo martin is kind of sitting down and saying, "Ok, these few levels here need a theme. Some sort of lava filled foundry sounds good. Great, now, what colors will compliment this environment?"
It works very well, and every area we've seen so far, has a very distinct, and memorable look. Toxic Waste Areas, some sort of Silvery Research Base, and Hell all have a very specific, and well designed look.
And as for the "Neon and Bright Lights", they add plenty of interesting, and honestly pretty accents to keep areas from looking flat.

The Civ said:

You simply can't re-create DOOM 1 and 2 well in a realistic environment, while sticking to the original art style. In all honesty, it's just far too cartoony, which isn't a bad thing in those games cases. As I said, it's fine there.

I never wanted to see Doom 4 being exactly like the original game, since each one works with a complete different language. So, this is not my concern.

For me, the color scheme is just terrible in any sense of the word (until now). The environments are bland, lifeless and the orange\teal (yellow\cyan) trend is used systematically (as always). It's uninspired, ugly and recycled a thousands times in the current pop\media culture.

The Civ said:

Am I the only person who likes Hugo Martin's work?
It really accentuates the whole "Futuristic Techbase on Mars" kind of feel.

And I think his work is definitely colorful enough.
Color is very good, and he does it well, in fact, if anything, even better than the original DOOM games.
Now look, I know I'm going to piss someone off when I say this, but the original DOOM games didn't have a very good sense of color balance. I understand that the whole point was "Would it look cool?", but the issue is that they didn't set enough limits for themselves.
Blue carpets against green brick walls covered in some sort of red metal and grey computers may look ok in a low res game, but you try doing that in a more realistic setting and style, and it won't transfer well in the slightest. You simply can't re-create DOOM 1 and 2 well in a realistic environment, while sticking to the original art style. In all honesty, it's just far too cartoony, which isn't a bad thing in those games cases. As I said, it's fine there.
But Hugo martin is kind of sitting down and saying, "Ok, these few levels here need a theme. Some sort of lava filled foundry sounds good. Great, now, what colors will compliment this environment?"
It works very well, and every area we've seen so far, has a very distinct, and memorable look. Toxic Waste Areas, some sort of Silvery Research Base, and Hell all have a very specific, and well designed look.
And as for the "Neon and Bright Lights", they add plenty of interesting, and honestly pretty accents to keep areas from looking flat.

The last thing I want to play is a 3D classic Doom.
Doom 4 is an awesome recreation of Doom 3 mixedwith Doom, where classic Doom is the star.

AirRaid said:

Well influencing the gameplay is the entire reason for the decision. It was touched on in one of the reveal videos, I forget which one. A dev mentioned how having the enemies drop health and such makes the game so much faster and more fluid. It means less downtime from combat.

But some of the better moments from Doom is item farming and resource conservation. I don't want Serious Sam.

The Civ said:

I agree. This game has a very sleek look that really pleases the eye. While the majority of the color palette isn't anything new, the overall style is a bit different, mainly due to the neon glows and the rounded, smooth surfaces.

Technician said:

But some of the better moments from Doom is item farming and resource conservation. I don't want Serious Sam.

Item farming will still exist in the new DOOM. It just won't be quite as important. Ammo, health, power-ups, weapons and mods will all be placed around the environment.

While the piñata pickups will generally make you less reliant on getting ammo and health around the environment, you'll still need to scrounge the environment either when you're looking to get stronger or if you're running low and can't defeat the current enemy without picking up more ammo and health.

Doom '16 has upgrades/secondary fire modes on several of the weapons. It seems to me like resource management and defensive tactics will go hand in hand. There is clearly going to be a lot of depth.

GoatLord said:

Doom '16 has upgrades/secondary fire modes on several of the weapons. It seems to me like resource management and defensive tactics will go hand in hand. There is clearly going to be a lot of depth.

Just curious...why do you feel that weapon upgrades will lead to greater resource management? Finding the weapon upgrades themselves (I believe there's multiple upgrades per weapon) will be a good reason to explore, no doubt. But I believe the new Doom doesn't use weapon-specific ammo. There's just one generic "Ammo" item that increases the ammo for all of your weapons.

I really hope the music theme will be like this:
Beginning-fast paced action(Like E1M1)
Middle-discovery of something or being sad about what happened(MAP16)
End-payback(MAP30/E3M8)

ChickenOrBeef said:

Just curious...why do you feel that weapon upgrades will lead to greater resource management? Finding the weapon upgrades themselves (I believe there's multiple upgrades per weapon) will be a good reason to explore, no doubt. But I believe the new Doom doesn't use weapon-specific ammo. There's just one generic "Ammo" item that increases the ammo for all of your weapons.

Only in multiplayer. In the Hell gameplay video you can clearly see the player picking up "Bullets" and "Rockets" from enemy ammo drops as well as health. Watch him kill this guy then pick up some stuff - https://youtu.be/TgTJWvpqtGw?t=633

There might be seperate "ammo" or charges or whatever for the weapon mods in SP. Remember how there was an ammo counter on the chainsaw UI?

The unified "ammo" pickup in the MP makes sense because of the way loadouts work. Everyone can pick whatever gun they like so having Plasma Cells spawn specifically on the map might make no sense if no-one is playing with the Plasma Rifle.

Here is how I would do it.

Bullets and Shells are put in a single box but other types of ammo have individual boxes.

AirRaid said:

Only in multiplayer. In the Hell gameplay video you can clearly see the player picking up "Bullets" and "Rockets" from enemy ammo drops as well as health. Watch him kill this guy then pick up some stuff - https://youtu.be/TgTJWvpqtGw?t=633

I don't think that's actually what's happening there. If you look at the actual ammo items on the ground, you'll see they all look the same. And if you go to 1:24 and 2:38 of that video you'll see the player collecting the same general ammo boxes as in the multiplayer.

What I'm saying is that the player is always collecting general "ammo" pickups, and each pickup just replenishes some ammo for the guns that need it. Obviously we don't know 100% how it chooses to replenish your guns, but it seems to be along those lines. So it doesn't look like the player will be searching for specific types of ammo.

ChickenOrBeef said:

I don't think that's actually what's happening there. If you look at the actual ammo items on the ground, you'll see they all look the same. And if you go to 1:24 and 2:38 of that video you'll see the player collecting the same general ammo boxes as in the multiplayer.

No, at 2:37 the boxes are the same but the marks on the boxes are different. The shell box is marked with 3 shells and the bullet box is marked with 4 bullets, so no general ammo in SP mode. Only the drops are marked the same, ammo(blue) and health(red).

ChickenOrBeef said:

Obviously we don't know 100% how it chooses to replenish your guns, but it seems to be along those lines.

Enemies probably have a higher chance of dropping stuff that you need most, health or ammo type that you have the fewest.

ChickenOrBeef said:

I think you might be right for the generic ammo pickups that enemies drop, actually, but Hofmann is correct that there are seperately marked bullet and shell boxes at 2:38.

So a mix of the two perhaps? Unless the assets just aren't properly finalised for the little blue ammo pickups yet, which is always possible.

Hofmann said:

No, at 2:37 the boxes are the same but the marks on the boxes are different. The shell box is marked with 3 shells and the bullet box is marked with 4 bullets

Ah, you're right. It's odd that both ammo types have the same color.