Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Flammable

Duke Nukem wad

I was looking for a reissue of a Duke Nukem entirely on engine zdoom, but found only wads containing the first map of the game. Is there a complete etition of all the finished maps containing all of Duke Nukem 3D, supporting zdoom? I'm not realy interest in it enemies, just the maps, i'd like to play them in doom.

there is Samsara, a Zdoom mod where you can play as multiple characters, one of which is Duke Nukem. but he's balanced differently there to accommodate the changes of the Doom-engine games, so yeah.

Due to impossibility of Duke3D's true overlapping sectors and dynamic map geometry even in ZDoom, conversion of most Duke3D maps to ZDoom wouldn't be accurate. I don't think anyone ever made and finished one. You might want to see it out of your interest, but imagine the mentality of a potential author of such a conversion wad: Why would anyone bother with that elaborate mapping work (condemned to be inaccurate anyway), when he could just play Duke3D instead?

scifista42 said:

Due to impossibility of Duke3D's true overlapping sectors and dynamic map geometry even in ZDoom, conversion of most Duke3D maps to ZDoom wouldn't be accurate. I don't think anyone ever made and finished one. You might want to see it out of your interest, but imagine the mentality of a potential author of such a conversion wad: Why would anyone bother with that elaborate mapping work (condemned to be inaccurate anyway), when he could just play Duke3D instead?

One word: Recreation.
And illusions of perception.
Yes, creating Duke Nukem 3D maps with 100% accuracy is impossible. But creating them in a new way, while with the original layout, is technically also worth a try.

Voros said:

One word: Recreation.
And illusions of perception.

Would you make a recreation of (say) Eiffel Tower in 1-to-1 scale ratio to the real one, by your bare hands and out of mud/wood/something you have, just because it would be "interesting" and "worth a try"?

scifista42 said:

Would you make a recreation of (say) Eiffel Tower in 1-to-1 scale ratio to the real one, by your bare hands and out of mud/wood/something you have, just because it would be "interesting" and "worth a try"?

In Doom or in real life?

If I had motivation, then I would try to do so... it would take decades.

I meant in real life, though the example was kind of silly.

Voros said:

If I had motivation, then I would try to do so... it would take decades.

I trust you fully. My point is that it is highly improbable that a hobby-ist mapper will gain the motivation to dedicate hundreds/thousands of hours of clean time to actually do and finish such an extensive work only because he would be eager to see it happen once, knowing that a few other people would also see it and like it only once, and nobody would return to the wad again, because there is already a superior alternative: Duke3D itself.

scifista42 said:

I meant in real life, though the example was kind of silly.
I trust you fully. My point is that it is highly improbable that a hobby-ist mapper will gain the motivation to dedicate hundreds/thousands of hours of clean time to actually do and finish such an extensive work only because he would be eager to see it happen once, knowing that a few other people would also see it and like it only once, and nobody would return to the wad again, because there is already a superior alternative: Duke3D itself.

...hmm...is there a converter for DN3D levels to Doom levels?
Wait. that's impossible.
Duke3D is your best option...

Someone should start a Freedukenukem3d project.

Voros said:

...hmm...is there a converter for DN3D levels to Doom levels?

There's a converter from .WADs to .MAPs, if i recall correctly is in the duke nukem 3d folder, i also think to seen a map to wad converter somewhere back in the day...

http://www.dukertcm.com/knowledge-base/downloads-rtcm/duke3d-tools-build/

check this site...

Voros said:

Someone should start a Freedukenukem3d project.

Interesting idea, too bad that Duke Nukem 3D isn't a freeware / abadonware game AFAIK, maybe the idea of making a brand new game that uses the Build engine since the engine source is free as i known... something like Electric Highways that uses Build and Eduke32 and his a complete new game similar to the freedoom / blasphemer thing, since the game engine is free

Wouldn't it also be flat out illegal to use commercial Duke maps in a Doom mod regardless of any incapabilities of the engine and differences in the gameplay style seeing as they belong to 3D Realms? Minus the shareware episode I realise you're allowed to do whatever you want with those maps (besides selling them)

SavageCorona said:

Wouldn't it also be flat out illegal to use commercial Duke maps in a Doom mod regardless of any incapabilities of the engine and differences in the gameplay style seeing as they belong to 3D Realms? Minus the shareware episode I realise you're allowed to do whatever you want with those maps (besides selling them)

Straight-out copying the levels, yes. But I don't think it would be illegal if the levels were made from scratch.

This ? Although it doesn't feel like the real Duke3d because it's intended for the vanilla Doom, with some ZDoom DECORATE Tweaks and use of slopes, polyobjs and 3D Floors here and there and an ACS Script for glass it can be turned to a semi Duke3D Remake .

EDIT : Convert it to Doom in Hexen format of course .