Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
elbryan42

Comparing the speed of SNES Doom...

I own SNES Doom. It's pretty good, but tends to be pretty damn choppy and slow. I just got a new puter. Playing SNES Doom emulated now runs smoother than the cart! Just as fast as the PC, PSX and GBA Dooms. No choppiness whatsoever. I'm happy. :P

Think I'll play thru this thing again.

I'm running the newest ZSNES on my Athlon XP 1700 in 800x600x16. It WAS REALLY choppy on my P2-300.

I'm happy. I can play more old games faster! Screw the newer games!

Ok, I'll still play Warcraft 3 and Doom 3...

If the emulator is properly emulating the snes, then it should run exactly the same speed on your computer (no matter how powerful it is) as it does on the snes. The emulator should be duplicating the snes processors, instruction sets, clock speed, everthing.

It DOES for the rest of the games. However, Doom for some reason runs sweet. I'm not complaining. :P

I remember playing Doom on a Super NES emulator, can't remember the name. It was pretty crappy looking and playing.
The experience was about the same on the Super NES itself. Slow, choppy as heck, and grossly over-pixellated graphics. Ugh.

IMO snes doom was the third best console version before gba doom came out. Only the ps and jag versions were better. The saturn port was a joke and 3do doom was by far the choppiest piece of crap I've ever played. I think it ran at about 3 fps or something. The 32x didn't have enough levels and had an unfinished feel to it.

If you wanna see a ridiculous port, play Duke 3D for Genesis (Mega Drive). I dont know why they even bothered.

Arioch said:

Here's an idea. Play doom2.exe.

And here's another idea. Play ZDoom.exe, with Doom2.wad.

No, the worst game ever will be and always will be GOLDENEYE. God, that piece of shit sucked. I'll be making an anti-Goldeneye site when I get the chance. The singlemost reason why the N64 crahsed and burned.

elby, what is with you and Goldeneye? You seem to hate the game, for some reason. I've played the game, I own the game, I have all the cheats for the game, and I've also found both of the secret levels for the game, as well as all the multiplayer secret characters-and I mean all.
The game, IMO, does NOT suck, it's NOT a piece of shit, and it's sold millions of copies around the world.
Of course, this is all my opinion. If you don't like it, feel free to go ahead and still not like it, but you got me as to why you'd hate.

DooMBoy said:

elby, what is with you and Goldeneye? You seem to hate the game, for some reason. I've played the game, I own the game, I have all the cheats for the game, and I've also found both of the secret levels for the game, as well as all the multiplayer secret characters-and I mean all.
The game, IMO, does NOT suck, it's NOT a piece of shit, and it's sold millions of copies around the world.
Of course, this is all my opinion. If you don't like it, feel free to go ahead and still not like it, but you got me as to why you'd hate.

Because it sucks.
:)
But seriously... the graphics are so blurry that it feels like your watching a movie filmed with cameras that had petroleum jelly smeared on the lenses. Also the fact that you can hold a million weapons in your suit and tie. I didn't find it that fun either... and I uhm... have no clue why I replied to this because I don't own an N64

Goldeneye's slow, the weapons are boring, multiplayer is boring, no jumping, no gravity, no run (except the cheat), the enemies are the dumbest I've ever seen, and it's just NOT FUN. The multiplayer, which everyone loves, is the worst ever. Slow, annoying, and uninventive. DOOM IS MORE ADVANCED THAN GOLDENEYE. And that such an awesome company as Rare with a perfect track record made the game is inexcusable.

Funny, if I remember correctly Goldeneye was THE most popular N64 game. Practically everyone who owned a N64 owned Goldeneye. I guess they were all stupid.

Yes, and Backstreet Boys have millions of fans. That doesn't make them good.

I like Goldeneye, purely for the fact that James Bond is so cool. But yeah after playing Goldeneye for about the bazillionth time, it sucks harder than a Vietnamese Prostitute...

LordTrasher said:

PERFECT DARK ROXOR JOO ALL!!!!!

Did I just type that?

No you dreamed it.

The N64 had an extremely promising premise-"hey look kids, a 64-bit machine with Mario on it!"-but after a few years had passed, they began to realize that the N64 was a difficult platform to develop for.
Were people stupid because they bought an N64? No, they were not, IMO, since the tech was astounding back in '96 and '97, but by '98 people began to realize that the graphics weren't going to get any less blurrier, and that funky looking controller wasn't suited to all tastes (IMHO, I still think the N64 had one of the best controllers ever). Why did it crash and burn? How about lack of actual software? I remember having to 8 or 9 months before I finally got to play a game other than Mario 64 (which was pretty good, but was definitely over-hyped). How about the games themselves? I don't know about you, but I'm not going to sit around all day and play Pokemon Puzzle League. Sure, they're not-so-cute games available for the N64, but the majority of the games are/were cutesy (this is Nintendo we're talking about here, they=teh cute). Add this to the technology, which sadly looked quite old when compared to the mysterious up-and-coming Katana (aka Dreamcast) and the PlayStation2.
And thusly, I step down from the podium.

bah. goldeneye way the resion i shelled out $80 for a secondhand N64.
I guess goldeneye one of thoses games were you ether love it to bits, or hate it to buggary... as for it being blurry... umm, name a N64 game that WASN'T Blurry.

Mace wasnt that blurry and for being out early it was a hell of a gg. BTW...bottom line...snes doom runs like crap on anything..if it was the 3rd best console id hate to see anything ranked less than that. when i 1st got it sooo many years back for my snes i thought it was the best thing since sliced bread (sliced bread being invented the year before) b/c i only had SW doom to play on my ibm ps1/386x Y_Y.

SNES was the best console. There are a whole 5 games on it I actualy would spend money for, if I had known of it's existance while they still sold it.

Funny, I don't recall any N64 games being blurry. Anyway, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark are both great. If anyone thinks these games held back the Nintendo 64, they truely are idiots.

I didn't say that they held back the N64. They sold tons of units. Believe me, I worked for Sears the Christmas Goldeneye was super-popular. However, there are more great outstanding games in the first year that held MY interest than the rest of the N64's history. The first game that seriously pissed me off was Goldeneye. Since Goldeneye's release, there have been few games that were worth playing: Mortal Kombat 4, Zelda (Orcarina and Majora), Turok 2 and 3, Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie, Conker, Star Wars ep 1 Racer and Quake 64. A decent sized list, but for 2-3 years it's pitiful.

The BEST consoles ever to have existed are the SNES and the Playstation. The sheer amount of incredible and jaw-dropping (and damn fun) games for each system is almost endless. I'm not sure if I'd hoist any of the newer systems (X-Box, Gamecube, PS2) that high, but we'll see what happens. If I was a betting man, I'd put my money on the Gamecube, or a Gamecube-GBAdvance combo.