Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

[Released] Doomworld Roulette: Session 1

Jmickle66666666's map theme generator is a neat and wacky little tool that you can use to inspire new ideas for level design, complete with tons of different rules and playstyle suggestions. Using this tool, I'd like to trial a small mapping competition. If you're looking to challenge your imagination and mapping ability and don't mind gambling with your luck a bit, then this could be the coolest little project for you!

The rules are simple, and are as follows:

• Make a post in this thread that lays claim to any number listed 1 through 6.
  • You will be assigned a pre-selected map theme generated using the map theme generator. That theme and your name will then appear in the OP.
  • The maps must be made using Doom 2 and in Boom format.
  • You may use custom textures of your choosing. No other custom content permitted by default, but you can make requests if your map demands it!
  • You may name your map. The root themes will be listed in the /idgames textfile.
  • Post the completed map in this thread before 00:00 EST on the 6th of December.
  • The winner of the competition will be determined by His Eminence The Mickle. For who could possess a superior taste or ability in judgement?
There are six slots because a revolver has six chambers and I'm a really funny guy. However, if there are more than six participants then I will simply introduce another gun! Map themes for everyone! If I feel like participating I'll just take the last remaining chamber, assuming there are five participants, so as to not pick a theme of my own choosing.

PLEASE NOTE: One of the six chambers is flagged as eccentric (designated - a cute little cylinder!). This means that it uses a unique set of words and phrases that don't appear in the regular, non-flagged generator. These words are "not useful, but funny." If you are (un)fortunate enough to have selected one of these chambers, then you'd better hustle up! Good luck!

>> /idgames link <<
(The submissions are in! The judging process is over! Congratulations to Rayzik, scotty and Obsidian!)

MAP01 - The Quirky Forum Ignited by Yuletide New York (walter confalonieri)
MAP02 - Several Mayan Cliffs (Jimmy)
MAP03 - Yrttpt (Scionox)
MAP04 - The Serpentine Dune above Hell (Obsidian)
MAP05 - Macro Station (Impie)
MAP06 - The Orange Quagmire stuffed into The Serpentine Feeding Pit (joe-ilya)
MAP07 - The Bunker (Doomkid)
MAP08 - A Refuge Below The Brutish Strait (scotty)
MAP09 - The Massive Pipeline around The Grain House (AD_79)
MAP10 - A Light Paradise protruding from The Tropics (Rayzik)
MAP11 - A few Ridges Around The Parkways (gaspe)
MAP12 - The Ruckus deflowered by The Pleasure Dome (cannonball)

@gaspe: Not the most exciting one, that. Still, you might be able to rumble up something interesting!

Alfonzo said:

@gaspe: Not the most exciting one, that. Still, you might be able to rumble up something interesting!

I think I have it, I hope it will work.

So it's like Indie Speed Run for the Doom community? I'll take (rolls 6-sided die) Chamber 3 of Gun 2, in case more people wanna partake.

Ok i'll give this a go. Chamber 5...

Sweet mercy, they're coming in thick and fast! Manuel, prep another one of those colts!

EDIT: There was a small malfunction with the generator preventing any eccentric words and phrases from being generated (hard to believe, I know!). This has now been fixed, so you can go back to quaking in your little designer boots.

How am I to do a tropical map without any tropical trees and props? O.o

Challenge this will be...

You can still use as many custom textures as you see fit! There should be plenty of tropical-ish walls and floors out there to decorate your paradise with.

I might devise a way to free up some things so that you can implement your own decorations, perhaps by creating a shortlist of rarely-used decorations for participants to avoid or swap out. Splitting up the mapset into separate wads for each "gun" set, and then having 6 such things on the blacklist, might be a way to go about it.

The OP says "you can make requests if your map demands it", so I suggest just whining at Alfonzo about it until he gives in just to make you shut up :)

Time to grow another holster... here comes gun number 3. This one's actually loaded with an eccentric bullet this time, so look out!

I won't have time to seriously start mapping sooner than 2 days before the deadline, but I'd like to take Chamber 4 anyway.