Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marnetmar

Night Dive's System Shock Remake Unveiled

http://www.polygon.com/2015/11/25/9801434/system-shock-remake-first-look-art

"We have been in contact with members of the original System Shock team and any future iterations of the System Shock games, and by this I mean both new titles in the series as well as major updates to the existing games, will be very true to the spirit of the originals," Kick told us.

That commitment to preserving the essence of the 1994 release is made apparent in concept artist Robb Waters' participation with the remake, which will be powered by the Unity engine.

I know some people on other sites aren't as pumped for a 1:1 system shock remake with (more) modern tech but I'm fucking stoked about this!

Also that concept art for those monsters makes me that realize that system shock 1 era trioptimum was even more morally dubious then I thought: I always assumed the mutants where due to SHODAN converting the crew with genetic fuckery. Nope, trioptimum made the poor buggers.

This basically looks just as stupid as any 1:1 remakes. Mods and games alike. From the screens it really shows how the level design doesn't make any sense today.

They should do it like Black Mesa: Source and make something new, based on the designs and not go entirely 1:1. That almost never works IMO. Just look at any Doom 1 or 2 mods for Doom 3 as an example.

geX said:

This basically looks just as stupid as any 1:1 remakes. Mods and games alike. From the screens it really shows how the level design doesn't make any sense today.

They should do it like Black Mesa: Source and make something new, based on the designs and not go entirely 1:1. That almost never works IMO. Just look at any Doom 1 or 2 mods for Doom 3 as an example.

Quoted for truth. Remaking something one for one is always a bad idea because the old version was always held back in some way by technology of the time, and those limitation become super apparent in the new tech.

There's another thing too. Who wants to play a 1:1 remake of something they've already played? Don't you want something new and different? If you want to play the original, it's still there. You can still play it.

commitment to preserving the essence of the 1994 release

screenshot with bloom cranked up to eleven

Made my day. :)

Phml said:

Made my day. :)

And a quote from one of the comments: "This is the best use of bloom I have ever seen" heh.

As I've said elsewhere, this seems completely redundant with the already existing System Shock: Enhanced Edition. So they're creating System Shock: Enhanced Enhanced Edition (What would that make it? Double enhanced?) and I'm wondering what is even the point.

Gez said:

As I've said elsewhere, this seems completely redundant with the already existing System Shock: Enhanced Edition. So they're creating System Shock: Enhanced Enhanced Edition (What would that make it? Double enhanced?) and I'm wondering what is even the point.

That collection of hacks is impressive for a bunch of code injection into a 1994 exe but it's still pretty far from approachable to modern gamers. I don't see a conceptual problem with the remake but I don't want to get my hopes up yet.

These screenshots don't really excite me at all, but it is literally the starting room so maybe we shouldn't be drawing too many conclusions from it. It's actually a bit odd that they have the serve-bots in here rather than taking shots from the next room... This almost feels like they barely have any content so far.

There's an unofficial remake called Citadel that looks a lot more appealing to me but given the track record of abandoned SS remakes I'm not holding my breath for that one either.

david_a said:

These screenshots don't really excite me at all, but it is literally the starting room so maybe we shouldn't be drawing too many conclusions from it. It's actually a bit odd that they have the serve-bots in here rather than taking shots from the next room... This almost feels like they barely have any content so far.

I'm pretty sure what we're seeing in those screens grabs are proof of concept shots more then anything else.

Oh wow so someone's remaking Dark Forces 1:1 you guys! Isn't it sweet and awesome!

This is like 95% the same thing! That's 95% good in oldschool ratings!
I sure hope someone will do the same with Wolfenstein. That would be so sweeeet!

Those screenshots look really weird. I'm with the guys saying the Black Mesa route of "reinterpretation" would work better.

Shaviro: I'd say there's a difference between engine recreation (an agnostic tool to run the content) and remaking the game in a modern engine. And btw, isn't level3 in DarkXL drastically different from vanilla?

Shaviro said:

Oh wow so someone's remaking Dark Forces 1:1 you guys! Isn't it sweet and awesome!

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/RDZp3Oms4qY/hqdefault.jpg

I sure hope someone will do the same with Wolfenstein. That would be so sweeeet!

From what I played of that Dark Forces mod so far not all of the maps were entirely accurate so it wasn't exactly 1:1, also the weapons still pretty much functioned the same way they were in Jedi Academy unlike the original DF.

I remember finding it odd how the people working on that Dark Forces mod for Jedi Academy translated the leather from the original HUD artwork to rusted metal.

I think it looks pretty damn good, personally. It doesn't look like a Bad Hi-Res Texture Replacement to me because the artwork is good and consistent and (just as importantly) the geometry and lighting have been updated to suit, even while keeping all the major shapes intact. It's videogame-y and abstract-looking for sure but IMO it pulls it off well.

Looks like the Polygon article mixed up a couple of the screenshots, though -- the before/afters of some of them seem to be mismatched.

geX said:

This basically looks just as stupid as any 1:1 remakes. Mods and games alike. From the screens it really shows how the level design doesn't make any sense today... Just look at any Doom 1 or 2 mods for Doom 3 as an example.

People who don't have an eye for things don't seem to notice this. Inconsistent HD textures and color palettes, awkward looking models, blocky layouts, etc. Some things ought to stay in the past. The screenshots look good, but as soon as you look around the room you're scratching your head thinking, "The fuck?"

In all honesty, the worst change in Maverick Hunter X is that you now need to actually defeat Vile at the end of the introduction stage, after which point he fires his stunning shot at X in a cutscene. Compare to the SNES original, where there actually was no way to defeat Vile, and the battle was over when X's own HP were reduced to 1, at which point Vile starts shooting stunning shots at him which then trigger the cutscene.

It's a stupid change because, like a lot of other players, I hate it when I'm required to "win" battles that ultimately end with the player character losing the fight anyway. As if to say, "You will lose only in the very specific method as described in the script." That's not really a fun game anymore, that's just blindly following invisible directions.

I haven't finished the original SS because of the clunky controls. I am a big fan of SS2 though, which I have finished a couple of times.

So I'm really interested in this remake. But if the original has some stupid design choices I'd like them improved. Kind of what Strife:VE did.

Maybe in the future someone will compile a SS:remake texture pack for atmospheric Doom cyberpunk maps.

WildWeasel said:

In all honesty, the worst change in Maverick Hunter X is that you now need to actually defeat Vile at the end of the introduction stage, after which point he fires his stunning shot at X in a cutscene. Compare to the SNES original, where there actually was no way to defeat Vile, and the battle was over when X's own HP were reduced to 1, at which point Vile starts shooting stunning shots at him which then trigger the cutscene.

It's a stupid change because, like a lot of other players, I hate it when I'm required to "win" battles that ultimately end with the player character losing the fight anyway. As if to say, "You will lose only in the very specific method as described in the script." That's not really a fun game anymore, that's just blindly following invisible directions.

okay, that's even more stupid. why would you change a plot battle to an actual battle and not make it make any sense in the context afterwards? i've played the game before, so i know what you're talking about. you're obviously supposed to feel overpowered by him, so i dunno what they were thinking here.

note i haven't actually played much of Maverick Hunter myself, but i've heard it wasn't very good.

geX said:

I agree with this wholeheartedly as well. The screenshots look incredibly dumb in my opinion. Kinda pretty, sure, but I would not be able to immerse myself in the atmosphere the same way an old game that leaves like 95% of the picture up to the imagination allows.

Shaviro said:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/RDZp3Oms4qY/hqdefault.jpg

Where is this screenshot from?

EDIT it's a gzdoom mod, I google a bit heh

Antroid said:

I agree with this wholeheartedly as well. The screenshots look incredibly dumb in my opinion. Kinda pretty, sure, but I would not be able to immerse myself in the atmosphere the same way an old game that leaves like 95% of the picture up to the imagination allows.

To me the game's environments were dumb made no sense then and are dumb and make no sense now. Except now it's been remade with modern graphics, so kind of like Sonic 1's Green Hill to Sonic Generations, in a way.

Jaxxoon R said:

To me the game's environments were dumb made no sense then and are dumb and make no sense now.

I can forgive a lot of nonsense if the graphics are simple enough, because when that's the case I don't even try to take everything at face value, instead seeing it as a vague description of what's there.

...Although that doesn't mean I would enjoy ASCII-based games, because I wouldn't :X

Doomhuntress said:

note i haven't actually played much of Maverick Hunter myself, but i've heard it wasn't very good.

It's almost the same game man... I actually didn't mind if I had to search any piece of armor. It was supposed to be hidden anyway.

Antroid said:

I can forgive a lot of nonsense if the graphics are simple enough, because when that's the case I don't even try to take everything at face value, instead seeing it as a vague description of what's there.

...Although that doesn't mean I would enjoy ASCII-based games, because I wouldn't :X

No Rogue, NetHack, Angband, Dwarve Fortress, etc?