Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Cybernetic rose

huh.

Cool. Better technology than present day. And more expensive and useless in small numbers.

Great. First they'll succeed in making plant cyborgs, then human cyborgs.

YEARS LATER AFTER HUMAN CYBORG RESEARCH

Quake 2 in real life.
Quake 4 in realistic life.

More likey to be similar to Ghost in the Shell, given that we're not quite at the point where we're waging inter-planetary war with mutant horrors with a fetish for implanting weaponised machinery.

All that being said, we'll all be long dead by either point anyway so whatever.

BaronOfStuff said:

More likey to be similar to Ghost in the Shell, given that we're not quite at the point where we're waging inter-planetary war with mutant horrors with a fetish for implanting weaponised machinery.

All that being said, we'll all be long dead by either point anyway so whatever.

Exactly. Years laters. Maybe decades or centuries.
Just over time, Quake 2/4 will occur...

Ok back on topic.

I only skimmed through the article( I didn't have time).
So far it seems to be able to produce energy in an efficiant way, right?

But when you think about it, it really is painstaking to make, not to mention the expense needed to make one.

Thanks for sharing, this was a cool read. However...

"If all goes well, sensors and other devices could someday harvest electricity from the natural process of photosynthesis that enables plants to turn sunlight into chemical energy."

I wonder how far off we actually are from seeing technology like this become a commonplace reality. It would be cool to see within my lifetime but I'm not terribly optimistic.

RUSH said:

Thanks for sharing, this was a cool read. However...

"If all goes well, sensors and other devices could someday harvest electricity from the natural process of photosynthesis that enables plants to turn sunlight into chemical energy."

I wonder how far off we actually are from seeing technology like this become a commonplace reality. It would be cool to see within my lifetime but I'm not terribly optimistic.

Way too early.

They need to do more research to fully understand the process and how to use it efficiently as possible. This technolgy is like those Android robots, walking unrealisticly amd very slow.

RUSH said:

What like existing PV panels that are 2 or 3% or so more efficient than biological photosynthesis the way it is? And it's not like photosynthesis is efficient at all to begin with.

Quast said:

What like existing PV panels that are 2 or 3% or so more efficient than biological photosynthesis the way it is? And it's not like photosynthesis is efficient at all to begin with.

Photosynthesis is cleaner than diesel generators/wind turbines/etc.

With time, the worlds energy problem MIGHT be solved with this.

Voros said:

Photosynthesis is cleaner than diesel generators/wind turbines/etc.

With time, the worlds energy problem MIGHT be solved with this.

Wind turbines should not be causing much pollution (except for lubricants such as oil).

Ironically though, plants can spew greenhouse gases into the air.

GhostlyDeath said:

Wind turbines should not be causing much pollution (except for lubricants such as oil).

Ironically though, plants can spew greenhouse gases into the air.

Wind turbines can be unreliable and noisy, scarring the landscape.

How can plants produce greenhouse gases? Unless you're talking about carbon dioxide, which is normal since every living thing needs to breath. Only at night time do plants breath and daytime where they start photosynthesis.

RUSH said:

Just remember two things:

1) We have cybernetic fucking roses in 2015, so whatever direction that tech is going isn't very far off. Imagine what a decade of research into that field would yield.

2) We're figuring things out faster than we used to. I don't think it's an exact exponential increase over time, but the acceleration is more exponential than it is linear.

GoatLord said:

Just remember two things:

1) We have cybernetic fucking roses in 2015, so whatever direction that tech is going isn't very far off. Imagine what a decade of research into that field would yield.

2) We're figuring things out faster than we used to. I don't think it's an exact exponential increase over time, but the acceleration is more exponential than it is linear.

Leading to our destruction, caused by us directly or indirectly.

I feel like we're starting to take the logic of reality too seriously, mainly because of curiousity.

"Curiousity killed the cat"

We are the cat. But curiousity hasn't gotten that far of a situation yet.
I guess this pessimistic. But it is true.

We need a miracle.

I tend to be of the opinion that the future will yield a mix of utopia and dystopia--a bit like today--only more extreme on each end.

GoatLord said:

I tend to be of the opinion that the future will yield a mix of utopia and dystopia--a bit like today--only more extreme on each end.

That is guaranteed to happen.
Unless the end occurred.