Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fonze

Help getting NRftL from Xbox to computer

So as the title suggests, I own the Xbox version of Doom 2. (Ironically, I own the BFG Edition of Doom 3 but found out I had to buy the XBLA version just for this; so I did) In a second ironic twist, the most helpful thing I've found so far is from the evil website, but this is what it said:

The Episode is implemented as a PWAD which can be extracted if you own the XBLA version and a USB stick.
1.Copy the Arcade Game to a USB stick on the Xbox 360
2.Get the Xtaf USB Explorer
3.Connect the USB stick to your computer
4.Use the Open Disk menu option
5.Locate the 32MB large DOOM2:XBLA file and Extract it to Disc
6.Open the extracted file with wxPirs
7.Extract a file called Doom2.disk (This Contains all relevant Game Data)
8.Open Doom2.disk with a Hex editor and search for the string PWAD
9.Extract everything from PWAD to the last SECTORMAP string you can find after that
10.Save this data to D2_NRFTL.WAD and use it with the source port of your choice

Please note that the secret exit of level 4 will not put you to Level 9 unless a MAPINFO lump appropriate to your port of choice is used. An example is available here (does not specify music or sky).

The good Doom wiki says this:

The Eternity Engine has built-in support for the episode if the entire doom2.disk file from the Xbox 360 version is loaded, or if a path is configured to point to the BFG Edition PWAD file. It uses the metadata.txt included in the diskfile. ZDoom and GZDoom recognize NERVE.WAD by its size and MD5 sum and allow to play it as a Doom II episode.

But I don't use Eternity and the second half of that paragraph hinges on whether-or-not I need to extract NERVE.WAD in the first place.

I've now got the Doom2.disk file and I opened it in a Hex editor, but there is no PWAD string. So I'm at a loss here. How do I take this that last step to be able to play this great wad on my computer?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Fonze said:

I've now got the Doom2.disk file

SLADE should be able to open it. However, that you mention there's no "PWAD" string makes me wonder if you didn't make a mistake at some point?

Thanks for the link Zed; unfortunately that video was worthless, as it was basically just finding the wad as downloaded from Steam. The NERVE.WAD was just sitting right there. Not the case here, so no dice on that. Still, good info there anyway!

That's possible Gez; I'll recount my steps. I copied the XBLA version, didn't need Xtaf USB Explorer (outdated information there), opened wxPirs and found Doom2.disk, extracted it and that's about where I am now.

This is a shot of the Doom2.disk file (location not important) and it open in a Hex Editor. I didn't get the find in page function in the picture (because I lack foresight) but it's not hard to do so likely unnecessary to show. It makes me wonder if I've made a mistake as well. I'm certainly not infallible.

Slade is having trouble opening it, so likely it is an error on my part then. The current file size is 880 KB.

That's about all the information that is relevant that I can think of. Thanks again for helping :)

Which version is your 360? You can check in system preferences and such.

Also, are you sure you copied the full game instead of just your save games? It is possible that the 360 encrypts arcade games now or just does not permit it at all (for "hacking" purposes).

I get the feeling that file isn't what he needs, as it's only 880KB. Nerve.wad is at least 3MB.

Must not be then. I'm sure I copied everything correctly, though. Perhaps it was a mistake somewhere else. The file I got from the Sexbox is 35.308 MB.

As for what version my Xbox is; I have no idea. "System" and "preferences" are two different categories and neither contains version info. System contains the serial number and all that stuff, but no version info. Not sure this matters anyway. Rechecking my work, I see that the file is listed as the "Xbox Live Arcade Game" file and it's 35 MB while the saves are in the lower hundred KB. It's gotta be something I did wrong after the copy.

*Edit*
After further double-checking I see now that part of the problem was that the extractor gave up on the file 880 KB in; that's why the size was so small. Now I have a file that is 29.030 MB. I have found the PWAD string, but no subsector string(s). I apologize, but most of this stuff is over my head at this point and I'm much like a monkey following a recipe. This is the part where feces usually starts flying, to keep with the colorful metaphor.

Further experimentation reveals a gem in Gez's post from earlier! It opened in Slade and a few folders in there it is. Thanks y'all :) So now the question becomes: has anyone been successful in creating a MAPINFO lump for this thing yet or am I gonna have to monkey my way through that one as well? Heh.

ZDoom already provides one and treats it as a Doom2 episode. Just load Nerve.wad with a version a Doom2 (either vanilla or BFG, although BFG will autoload it) and you'll see the NRFTL episode in New Game.

Edit: Actually the Nerve.wad that XBLA Doom2 provides is slightly different from the BFG version, and thus ZDoom wont treat it as such. You can construct your own from it, though (rename the map entries form LEVEL## to MAP## and you're set).

Edit: Disregard that. XBLA should be the same as PC BFG. Both 108 lumps and hashes/filesize match. Don't know why the console BFG versions are different.

Interesting. Well zDoom treats it as you said, though I'm using the same Doom 2 iWad I've always used, so I suppose zDoom doesn't care one way or the other which version of the Doom 2 iWad you use.

I've just noticed that I will have to make a MAPINFO for this as level skip seems to be broken for it in zDoom. Then again, that's a minor issue. The music appears to be correct and ending a level legitimately still works.

On the other hand, in PrBoom+ everything except the music appears to work.

Ah the strange nuances of it all ^^

Still, I might just put this in as an autoload into the config file for Doom 2 for ease later. Just with I could get that level select cheat to work...

Fonze said:

so I suppose zDoom doesn't care one way or the other which version of the Doom 2 iWad you use.

I was talking about nerve.wad, not the IWAD.

Fonze said:

I've just noticed that I will have to make a MAPINFO for this as level skip seems to be broken for it in zDoom.

Which "level skip" are we talking about here? "map level03", for example, takes me exactly where I expect it to go (the 3rd NRFTL map).

ZDoom doesn't support (yet?) having several different maps in the same slot, so to load nerve.wad along with doom2.wad and allow to play either the NRFTL maps are renamed to be LEVEL0x instead of MAP0x. Because of that, idclev won't work on them, but you can still use the map and changemap console commands, so I don't see this as a real problem.

I don't understand, if you already have Doom 3: BFG Edition, what's wrong with the copy of NERVE.WAD that comes with it? What is it you're doing that requires the XBLA version specifically?

I'm assuming you have the PC version of BFG Edition, apologies if I'm wrong about that.

Ah apologies for the confusion. I own the Xbox 360 BFG Edition of Doom 3 (and ironically the PC and original Xbox versions of the original Doom 3). The Xbox 360 BFG Edition comes with both Doom 1 and Doom 2, including E4 for Ult. Doom and NRftL for Doom 2. However, though I own the game, I only had access to the D1 and D2 games on the Xbox; I didn't actually own those. My proof of which being that without the disc in the Xbox, I cannot access the games and installing the BFG Edition literally did nothing because still nothing is playable without the disc. This included both copies of old Doom and of course Doom 3 as well.

Attempting to find a game file for Doom 1 and Doom 2 is impossible as well, as they do not exist (in findable form). More likely that those files are on the game disc rather than my Xbox anyway.

So, despite owning D3 BFG Ed and "owning" a copy of Nerve.wad, I was unable to access the files to which Nerve.wad belongs. That is why I had to reluctantly spend more money just to buy the XBLA version specifically for these nine damned levels.

Good job Id; you squeeze me for everything I'm worth t[-_-t]

Maybe a hacked version of Doom+ if possible (to have the correct text/pars/music/etc). If not that, Doom Classic. I don't think having the BFG Edition should be a requirement for owning NRFTL.

You don't need to buy the BFG Edition to own NRftL anyway. At least not through the Xbox route. In fact, that kinda screws you over, as it did me. Though I assume you fellas are talking about the PC version at this point.