Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GoatLord

What ought to be in the game (that we haven't been shown)

Recommended Posts

I'm one of the bigger supporters of Doom '16. My complaints have been pretty minimal--the new version has, on a fundamental level, most everything I'd want in a Doom game. Of course, as the months have worn on, I've thought about a few Doom tropes that weren't shown in the released footage, and whether or not they'll actually be implemented at all.

Automap: Maybe we won't need it in a modern game? Or maybe it's too difficult to switch between multiple tiers in a 2D manner. If it were brought back, it would need to be updated. I imagine it would happen in your helmet visor.
Infighting: This has already been mentioned. It's such a basic tactic in Classic Doom, I think it would be safe to assume it will be implemented. Might be the optimist in me.
Phobos and Deimos: We know for sure that the game will be set on Mars and eventually Hell. It is difficult to imagine why the moons would fit into this. It's clearly trying to be a much bigger game, thematically, than Doom 3 was, so maybe the moons will serve as additional locations. It would be a nice surprise.
Elevators and teleporters: These are two very common interactive elements in Doom that, in later episodes of D1 and later entries in the game, are found in almost every map. I'm positive about the former--elevators aren't abstract or outdated in any particular way--but teleporters are kind of school school, at least how they were depicted in the classic games. We already know some of the demons teleport. I'm pretty sure we'll see some form of it happening to the player in Doom '16.

Share this post


Link to post

As for the Automap, Wolf TNO already did it, even if it wasn't displayed while moving.
I'm imagining they could do a simple overlay on the visor that just shows the walls/general layout of whatever layer of the level you are currently on.

Infighting was already confirmed by several people at Quakecon 2014, and I remember hearing Marty Stratton talk about it being in the game somewhere, not to mention you can catch a glimpse of it in the shortened gameplay trailer, at the hell portion.

Phobos and Deimos are definitely possibilities. If you watch the Multiplayer Alpha trailer, you see both a part where the camera flies through a shiny silver and blue laboratory style map, and an orange and gray, almost rusted style map, that's much darker looking. While these may just be different sections or buildings on the Mars base, it wouldn't be much of a stretch to say that the silver techbase is Phobos, and that the dark looking rusted map is Deimos.

Considering the player has Personal Teleporters in the Multiplayer Alpha, I'm almost certain some form of teleportation will be used in the Singleplayer. Can't be sure about elevators, but I'll bet they'll be used at least a few times.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm pretty optimistic with the new Doom without even touching the closed alpha.

In regards to the GoatLord's mentioned tropes I feel most are insignificant issues other than infighting. I definitely want the new Doom to have sufficient sized arena's and monster behaviors (turret, charging, range, mixed etc) that can result in infighting if the player uses the correct foot work. I would be even more impressed if they included some little extra monster vs monster kill moves on each other.

Elevators sure, probably won't be many platforms equivalents, more likely they will be designed to transition between levels. I won't be disheartened no matter how they are implemented.

Phobos and Deimos won't matter as long as the story isn't too cheesy and the gameplay fun, it's exactly how I feel about the original Dooms.

Automap would be appreciated, or at least something to help me backtrack to critical locations and avoid being lost too long if there are open levels with many optional paths.

Share this post


Link to post
GoatLord said:

I'm one of the bigger supporters of Doom '16. My complaints have been pretty minimal--the new version has, on a fundamental level, most everything I'd want in a Doom game. Of course, as the months have worn on, I've thought about a few Doom tropes that weren't shown in the released footage, and whether or not they'll actually be implemented at all.

Automap: Maybe we won't need it in a modern game? Or maybe it's too difficult to switch between multiple tiers in a 2D manner. If it were brought back, it would need to be updated. I imagine it would happen in your helmet visor.
Infighting: This has already been mentioned. It's such a basic tactic in Classic Doom, I think it would be safe to assume it will be implemented. Might be the optimist in me.
Phobos and Deimos: We know for sure that the game will be set on Mars and eventually Hell. It is difficult to imagine why the moons would fit into this. It's clearly trying to be a much bigger game, thematically, than Doom 3 was, so maybe the moons will serve as additional locations. It would be a nice surprise.
Elevators and teleporters: These are two very common interactive elements in Doom that, in later episodes of D1 and later entries in the game, are found in almost every map. I'm positive about the former--elevators aren't abstract or outdated in any particular way--but teleporters are kind of school school, at least how they were depicted in the classic games. We already know some of the demons teleport. I'm pretty sure we'll see some form of it happening to the player in Doom '16.

Automap-not confirmed, possibly its part the helmet GPS system.
Infighting-ohh yeah. Check out my post on the Amm infighting thread.
Phobos and Deimos-possibly not. Maybe as a secret.
Elevators and lift-Why not?

Share this post


Link to post

Well, we've got a for sure on infighting, the rest is up in the air. I'm feeling like the automap may be a 50/50. There's been utterly no mention of it yet. I actually had an idea for its implementation. It could be an non-intruisive overlay that could fade in and out of different layers depending on the altitude of the environment. There could possibly be an upgrade (maybe downloadable from one of the computers) that gives you something akin to the (Classic Doom) IDDT cheat code vectors used to represent enemies and projectiles.

As for Phobos and Deimos, there's not really a good reason for us to build facilities on them. They're lumpy and have low gravity. They looked cool in the original game, but Doom 3 was set mostly on Mars, and that's ultimately more realistic. I could imagine there being say, a single facility on either moon, something for extracting resources and not much else. Something like that could make for a cool change of scene. Going into a cave on either moon, and seeing bits of hell stuff, would be cool. A lone facility with the dead of space around you and endless rocks. That can work.

Share this post


Link to post

Two dimensional maps were easy to draw. You could look at it quick without having to Metroid prime the shit out of it.

It with either be DLC or made by a SnapMap fan. I hope to see both!

Share this post


Link to post

I was thinking of something about Doom 4's automap.

If there is one, then the layout of the map would be hard to tell.
But, maybe of the developers gave SnapMap an, IDK somekind screenshot system. It would take an above view screenshot of the finished map, and would simultaneously use this picture to work as an automap. It kinda worked in Counter Strike 1.6, although that was just viewing the player from outside the map, where the player was some circle/triangle.

I'm sure that could function as an automap, bit with a few changes to suit the classic Doom games.

Share this post


Link to post

Nope, that would be fucking terrible.

Unless you have really clear, distinguishable textures (which Doom 4 clearly doesn't - See Rocky Hellscape and Grey Industrial Techbase) and very well defined pathways and routes (which CS did), then all you end up with is a messy splodge which might be the map you're in, or might be the result of the last time the Cyberdemon sneezed.

Share this post


Link to post

What about the HUD with doomguy's face? It should be an option that you can toggle on/off. That would be pretty sweet. Btw, do you guys think the classic doomguy face will be included in the game somehow? Perhaps an updated version?

Share this post


Link to post
AirRaid said:

Nope, that would be fucking terrible.

Unless you have really clear, distinguishable textures (which Doom 4 clearly doesn't - See Rocky Hellscape and Grey Industrial Techbase) and very well defined pathways and routes (which CS did), then all you end up with is a messy splodge which might be the map you're in, or might be the result of the last time the Cyberdemon sneezed.

Well, after the screenshot is taken, a bit of editing could be given to make it more clear.

Also, the game seems to work like 3D models put in as either walls or entities (like demons and decorations).
Maybe, some special code could proces the map, and take the wall models instead and represent them as lines and curves, depending on the map.

Although an automap wouldn't really fit for a Hell level... it would mean that mankind knows what Hell is like and recorded its structure in a digital database.

Anyway, I know that seems farfetched for an automap, but it would be worth a try.

Share this post


Link to post
Voros said:

Although an automap wouldn't really fit for a Hell level... it would mean that mankind knows what Hell is like and recorded its structure in a digital database.


Considering that the UAC was doing experiments and did an huge accident. I'm sure they would somewhat know.

Share this post


Link to post

I always just assumed it was a gameplay device and stood outside of any real world justification.

Share this post


Link to post
Tritnew said:

Considering that the UAC was doing experiments and did an huge accident. I'm sure they would somewhat know.


If the automap is just something that projects topology onto a top-down view, then there shouldn't be any reason it wouldn't work in Hell, unless Hell obeys a different set of physical laws and that for some reason disrupts the automap's scanning algorithms. That would actually be a really interesting gameplay mechanic.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×