Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LanHikariDS

The Phobos Simulation (Community Project)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/pltm2xgyf5y349p/PhobosSim.pk3
Just a little experiment I wanted to try out, to see what you guys could come up with using the textures I made for my personal test map, under these restrictions and parameters:

THEME: Tron-esque
TEXTURES ALLOWED: Only those included in PK3
UNPEGGING: Door faces (Not tracks) must be Upper Unpegged
GRID: 64mp for map geometry, 32mp for Things
LINEDEFS: Straight, must either align North/South or East/West, no diagonals (Think Wolf3D)
FLOOR/CEILINGS: Floors & Ceilings, if raised/lowered, must be done so at a multiple of either 16 or 64
MUSIC: You may contribute your own music if you wish, otherwise, you can use a music track being used by another map
DIFFICULTIES: Mapper's choice
PLAYERS: Mapper's choice

I've done MAP01, if anyone wants an example to look at. Also, if anyone wants to contribute a better M_DOOM, that would be greatly appreciated.

(This is my first attempt at a community project, so apologies if I suck)

Screens from MAP01:

Screen from aforementioned test map:

LanHikariDS, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

Impboy4 said:

LanHikariDS, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

As I said, I've done MAP01. It's in the PK3 already.
Plus, it probably won't be 'mega-cool-and-whatnot', I just want to see what Ideas others have with this.

Well I like the texture pack and those chainguns look cool.

Question; why no diagonal lines? I can understand if you want it for the squares to all fit together nicely and all, but mappers are capable of stretching out and shortening textures, especially ones as easy to piece-meal together like these.

Same question for the grid.

Also, the unpegging rule. What's up with that?

Fonze said:

Well I like the texture pack and those chainguns look cool.

Question; why no diagonal lines? I can understand if you want it for the squares to all fit together nicely and all, but mappers are capable of stretching out and shortening textures, especially ones as easy to piece-meal together like these.

Same question for the grid.

Also, the unpegging rule. What's up with that?

They're to fit into the theme. In a real-world situation, having a door dissipate as it does with upper unpegged makes no real sense, but in the 'being in a computer' scenario, it does make more sense for the doors to act like that.

Perhaps I'm confusing myself here, but don't doors that open up look the same with no unpegged flags as they do with upper unpegged? Are you wanting doors that open down instead?

*Edit*
Never mind, I just realized you are referring to the outside textures of the door, not the inside track. Perhaps you should clarify that in the OP.

Fonze said:

Perhaps I'm confusing myself here, but don't doors that open up look the same with no unpegged flags as they do with upper unpegged? Are you wanting doors that open down instead?

*Edit*
Never mind, I just realized you are referring to the outside textures of the door, not the inside track. Perhaps you should clarify that in the OP.

Done

I'm doing some experiments just to see how a map with the Tron textures would come out... The reference port is zdoom, right (Doom in Hexen format)?

Angry Saint said:

The reference port is zdoom, right (Doom in Hexen format)?

I think I made my map in ZDoom (Doom in Doom format), but if you wish to use Doom in Hexen, that's fine, as long as it doesn't cause any issues.

I played around with it.

I like the Tron-Neon aesthetic, but using only the 64x64 grid is very limiting in the architecture you can create. For example, I have already add to my map some round obstacles.

I'm not so sure I will keep working on it, not because I don't like the idea, but because I already have started too many maps.

And I fear a megawad of only this blu/red/green neon lights can be quite boring after few levels...

I still fail to understand why youd reduce compatibility by going with a zDoom format, then not take advantage of the advanced features it brings. If you're not going for zDoom in Hexen or in UDMF, why not just map in Boom for better compatibility? Or just stop dipping your toes in the water and make full use of the source port that you're using.

Also, to AS: I love that sphere you made and I think I'd agree with you on the aesthetics of it getting boring after a while when everything's a square first off, and 64x64 to boot.

To Hikari: Those have got to be the close to the worst rules I've ever heard of for a project. I really hope after reading what AS typed and seeing that really sweet sphere you'll reconsider. I just don't see many decent maps being makable in this style.

Yes, the sphere is in the sky as texture. We should also discuss about the sky.

However, I just did some round columns to block a pathway, they look cools as they looks like neon lights around a black column.

Edit: And I agree we don't zdoom features with such a level but boom compatibility could be enough

Fonze said:

I still fail to understand why youd reduce compatibility by going with a zDoom format, then not take advantage of the advanced features it brings. If you're not going for zDoom in Hexen or in UDMF, why not just map in Boom for better compatibility? Or just stop dipping your toes in the water and make full use of the source port that you're using.

That's just what I used, I never said you guys couldn't.

Angry Saint said:

Yes, the sphere is in the sky as texture. We should also discuss about the sky.

Well, there are free sky patch slots, so if you want to throw in your own (As long as it fits the theme), that's fine.

Angry Saint said:

but using only the 64x64 grid is very limiting in the architecture you can create.

Kind of the idea.

Gustavo6046 said:

Why not these colors:

cyan magenta yellow shit brown purple lylas redbrick etc

The original 64x64 textures were made for a test map of a project I'm working on, and the three colors I was using was Red, Green, and Blue for grid textures, as placeholders until proper textures had been implemented. However, I ended up liking the Tron-motif it unintentionally had, and had the idea for this project.

Seems easy... hmmm...

I'll try later to do something...

TEXTURES ALLOWED: Only those included in PK3

Wait does it means it must be in zdoom\udmf-format?

CWolfRu said:

Seems easy... hmmm...

I'll try later to do something...

Wait does it means it must be in zdoom\udmf-format?

Any of the ZDoom formats will do.