Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Nictendo

Automatic Pistol Start?

Recently, new and awesome WADs such as Sunlust and Valiant are being released with pistol starts as the intended way to play. Are there any source ports in existence that support auto-pistol start? It'd be nice to play each map in sequence without needing to resort to a console/idclev/dying.

In my brief preliminary search on the topic, most of the answers seem to come down to console/idclev/dying. If it isn't an existing feature, would it be challenging to implement it into an existing sourceport?

If anyone has any leads on this subject, or the know-how to accomplish it, I believe it will be a valuable and convenient feature for the community.

Thanks for the help!

The problem you'll probably run into is that PRBoom+ and Chocolate Doom don't have scripting languages that can manipulate the player. If such a mod were to exist, it would have to be done at the source code level.

WildWeasel said:

The problem you'll probably run into is that PRBoom+ and Chocolate Doom don't have scripting languages that can manipulate the player. If such a mod were to exist, it would have to be done at the source code level.

Yeah, I figured, as why I also wished to make this thread as a call for any coders who think they might be up to the challenge. It would be nice to have such a feature for a vanilla-compatible engine.

If you play with PRboom+, you can just press the "home" button on your keyboard and the map will restart with a pistol start.

joe-ilya said:

If you play with PRboom+, you can just press the "home" button on your keyboard and the map will restart with a pistol start.

Interesting. I didn't know that.

joe-ilya said:

Wow, I had no idea, thanks! /thread :P A one-button solution is nearly as awesome as a no-button solution. More so in some cases if you don't want to go to the effort of toggling such a feature on and off.