Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LanHikariDS

Brutal Chex Quest

Recommended Posts

This is a simple modification I made to Brutal Doom v20 to fix an issue related to Chex Quest compatibility. While a lot of people may say this is silly or stupid to have Brutal Doom support that, BrutalV20 DOES already contain assets pertaining to Chex Quest, but it's just a little broken (Until now). I should warn you, before you throw out your old Brutal Doom PK3, that this DOES break compatibility with the regular Doom IWADS As it's a modification of Brutal Doom, it should work on any source port that Brutal Doom v20 does (Mostly ZDoom-based)

The mod at work:



The download:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/sj5dlnvfl89c9cz/brutalchex.pk3

DISCLAIMER: I do not take claim to any of the assets in this PK3. The code is from Sergeant Mark IV's Brutal Doom (With some slight modifications done by myself), as well as the graphics (Though he supposedly took them from other sources). All assets belong to their respective owners.

OTHER NOTE: This project is unrelated to Sergeant Mark IV's April Fool's joke (I didn't even learn about it until after I finished this), as it still uses regular Brutal Doom weapons

Share this post


Link to post

Um, doesn't this circumvent the fact that you need an actual Doom/Doom II IWAD to play PWADs? Just my 2 cents.

And wasn't Brütal Chex Quest an April Fools joke?

Share this post


Link to post
HavoX said:

Um, doesn't this circumvent the fact that you need an actual Doom/Doom II IWAD to play PWADs?

Just my 2 cents.

Not at all... I don't know where you get that idea... you still need Chex3.wad, and as I said before, this doesn't work properly with the Doom/Doom II IWADS

Share this post


Link to post
HavoX said:

Um, doesn't this circumvent the fact that you need an actual Doom/Doom II IWAD to play PWADs? Just my 2 cents.

And wasn't Brütal Chex Quest an April Fools joke?


You pretty much just asked why doesn't Chex Quest's IWAD work with Doom's IWADs.

Share this post


Link to post
HavoX said:

And wasn't Brütal Chex Quest an April Fools joke?

Actually, this has nothing to do with that video. I didn't learn about that until AFTER I finished this. I came up with this while picking through Brutal Doom's file system and finding a 'CHEX' folder in the graphics directory. I tried regular Brutal Doom v20 on Chex3, and there was a glitch that prevented ammo from being added to the player's stock. All this does is fix that glitch, at the cost of Doom/Doom II compatibility.

Share this post


Link to post
HavoX said:

And wasn't Brütal Chex Quest an April Fools joke?



Actually, no. I added Brutal Chex compatibility for v20 as an easter egg. Since Chex uses completely different actor names, it is possible to maintain both Chex and Doom actors "brutalized".

Share this post


Link to post
Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

Actually, no. I added Brutal Chex compatibility for v20 as an easter egg. Since Chex uses completely different actor names, it is possible to maintain both Chex and Doom actors "brutalized".

Not quite. Your Assault Rifle, for example, uses 'Clip1' as it's ammo type, which is unnoticable in Doom, as your set the clips to give ammo for 'Clip1' However, in Chex Quest, they still give 'Clip', so it is ignored by your guns. I just went in and changed all references of 'Clip1' to 'Clip' in the weapons and player classes. The Clip items in Doom still give 'Clip1' however, so when playing Doom or Doom II, you won't get ammo from clips or ammo boxes

Share this post


Link to post
LanHikariDS said:

Not quite. Your Assault Rifle, for example, uses 'Clip1' as it's ammo type, which is unnoticable in Doom, as your set the clips to give ammo for 'Clip1' However, in Chex Quest, they still give 'Clip', so it is ignored by your guns. I just went in and changed all references of 'Clip1' to 'Clip' in the weapons and player classes. The Clip items in Doom still give 'Clip1' however, so when playing Doom or Doom II, you won't get ammo from clips or ammo boxes


If I remember correctly, I replaced all Chex Ammo types to Doom's counterparts, but I might be wrong. Anyway, I acknowledge that I haven't completely finished this stuff yet, and I am going to continue working on it on v20b.

Share this post


Link to post
Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

If I remember correctly, I replaced all Chex Ammo types to Doom's counterparts, but I might be wrong. Anyway, I acknowledge that I haven't completely finished this stuff yet, and I am going to continue working on it on v20b.

The conversion was a mixed bag. Most ammo types use your Brutal Doom sprites, Cell ammo uses the Chex Quest sprites, and what I noted with Clip ammo (It does visually change to your clip sprite). There are some glaring issues even with my modification I found last night. The chainsaw still uses the spork pickup sprite, but if you deselect it, you can't switch back to it (Working on that now, as I do know how to fix it)

EDIT: No I don't... ;-;

Share this post


Link to post
Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

Actually, no. I added Brutal Chex compatibility for v20 as an easter egg.

Oh... OH. Well, consider myself April Fooled.

There's one thing that baffles me though... you've uploaded the video demonstrating Brütal Chex Quest on April 1st that year, so I figured it was an April Fool's joke. Since that wasn't the case, why did you choose that date, and not sooner/later?

Share this post


Link to post
HavoX said:

Oh... OH. Well, consider myself April Fooled.

There's one thing that baffles me though... you've uploaded the video demonstrating Brütal Chex on April 1st that year, so I figured it was an April Fool's joke. Since that wasn't the case, why did you choose that date, and not sooner/later?

My guess is that it WAS intended as an April Fools joke, and the Easter Egg was an afterthought, as it doesn't run EXACTLY like in the video.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×