Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tristan

[Released] PSX Doom: The Lost Levels

Funnily enough, I found out about this basically right before release. I'll play it once I get a new computer. I'm thinking of starting a project that basically combines the PC layouts, the stuff that was removed in the console versions, level details from the alpha versions, & the stuff that was added/expanded upon in the console versions. Kind of a "what if Williams Entertainment didn't have to work with those limitations" thing. For instance: Circle of Death would have both the bloody meat hook from the PSX version & the Arch-Vile from the PC version.

Gez said:

Bugs:

LOST18 (Black Tower Keep): three secrets are broken.
1. Sector #207, tagged 71, is secret. You cannot get inside sector #207; nothing opens it up (no linedef have any effect on tag 71), it has a height of 0, and even if it were opened up the player couldn't "discover" it because its depth is only 10 units so there isn't enough space for a player's center to get there without a noclip cheat.
2. Sectors #235 and #251, tagged 72, are supposed to open to show a tunnel to a berserk pack; but they cannot open because they are near each other and the action to open them is a door action. A door only raises the door sector to some point below the lowest neighboring ceiling; these two sectors are each other's neighbors with the same ceiling height.

In the original Master Levels, this is different. There is only one sector tagged 72, so it raises normally. Splitting it up in two parts is what broke it. The sector tagged 71 is opened by crossing the line at the end of the tunnel from ST72. ST71 is deep enough for the player to enter (and pick up a medikit placed inside), and it contains a switch that opens up sector tagged 76, near the exit (this secret was removed from the conversion).

Graphical glitch in the same level: sector #116, tagged 34, looks wrong when opened, the midtextures do not move to the same height on the inside as on the outside. Perhaps because they have different middle Y offsets?

More bugs:

LOST32 (Central Processing): There is no way to get to sector #237 (which allows to get some ammo and release the monsters closeted in sector #243. A couple of teleport linedef (lines #803 and #814) normally do the trick, but it's impossible for the player to cross it because their front sector has height 256 to 456, and its back sector has height 200 to 256. Neither sector are tagged or have any sort of effect affecting them.

Sector #231 doesn't work as a sound tunnel. Its opening is too far above that of sectors #229 and #234, so the monsters aren't woken up.

Congrats on finally completing this, PSX Doom has always been my favorite version of Doom and it's great to see all the PC levels done in the PSX style.

Gez said:

More bugs:

LOST32 (Central Processing): There is no way to get to sector #237 (which allows to get some ammo and release the monsters closeted in sector #243. A couple of teleport linedef (lines #803 and #814) normally do the trick, but it's impossible for the player to cross it because their front sector has height 256 to 456, and its back sector has height 200 to 256. Neither sector are tagged or have any sort of effect affecting them.

Sector #231 doesn't work as a sound tunnel. Its opening is too far above that of sectors #229 and #234, so the monsters aren't woken up.

Even more bugs:

LOST34 (Habitat): Sector #143, tagged 38, never lowers to open access to the switch. This means that the way out of the level is made needlessly obscure (you can't cause a pipe to appear in the nukage leading to the ridiculously small linedef whose crossing opens up access to the last area of the map). In the original TNT.WAD MAP22, this is lowered when crossing a linedef as you go toward the DOORYEL/LOCKYEL door between the nukage silo and the sewer.

Would there be any chance of a version that integrates The Lost Levels maps into the original TC episodes arranged in the playing order of the originals.

For example after "The Inmost Dens" would be "Industrial Zone" for the Doom 2 Episode.

Sir Swerving said:

Would there be any chance of a version that integrates The Lost Levels maps into the original TC episodes arranged in the playing order of the originals.

For example after "The Inmost Dens" would be "Industrial Zone" for the Doom 2 Episode.

There's an application included with the psx tc download that allows this already.

Salahmander2 said:

I'm thinking, with Romero's newly released map, should we convert it in PSX form at some point? :P

That could be our Map60 in the main TC, finally scratching that OCD itch.

Gez said:

Bugs:

1. Sector #207, tagged 71, is secret. You cannot get inside sector #207; nothing opens it up (no linedef have any effect on tag 71), it has a height of 0, and even if it were opened up the player couldn't "discover" it because its depth is only 10 units so there isn't enough space for a player's center to get there without a noclip cheat.
2. Sectors #235 and #251, tagged 72, are supposed to open to show a tunnel to a berserk pack; but they cannot open because they are near each other and the action to open them is a door action. A door only raises the door sector to some point below the lowest neighboring ceiling; these two sectors are each other's neighbors with the same ceiling height.

In the original Master Levels, this is different. There is only one sector tagged 72, so it raises normally. Splitting it up in two parts is what broke it. The sector tagged 71 is opened by crossing the line at the end of the tunnel from ST72. ST71 is deep enough for the player to enter (and pick up a medikit placed inside), and it contains a switch that opens up sector tagged 76, near the exit (this secret was removed from the conversion).

Graphical glitch in the same level: sector #116, tagged 34, looks wrong when opened, the midtextures do not move to the same height on the inside as on the outside. Perhaps because they have different middle Y offsets?

I just downloaded this wad/pk and I must say this is truly an awesome work! However, I can confirm that I came across this bug (the switch behind the bars that does NOT open the tunnel to the Berserk pack nor the other two secrets) as I was playing the Black Keep level, and was wondering if there was a release in which this was fixed yet, or if is being worked on? I would like to see myself get 100% secrets and items for every map if possible.

ScottGray said:

That could be our Map60 in the main TC, finally scratching that OCD itch.

Or you could just move Attack to map 60 and move everything down one slot, which makes more sense.

Romero has two new maps now anyway.

I need help, i just wanting to Play this Lost Levels Episode mixed between The another maps from Doom and Doom II in tje PC maping order. I need help to know how can i modify The order or The Maps; i already have SlumpED but i don't know how to use. I'm new with this and i will be so happy if any of you can help me to do this. And by The way; it's a good idea mix all The maps, no? :D thanks.

ZephonRoo666 said:

I need help, i just wanting to Play this Lost Levels Episode mixed between The another maps from Doom and Doom II in tje PC maping order. I need help to know how can i modify The order or The Maps; i already have SlumpED but i don't know how to use. I'm new with this and i will be so happy if any of you can help me to do this. And by The way; it's a good idea mix all The maps, no? :D thanks.

There is a utility included with the latest version of the tc which lets you do that exact thing.

Carniverous Goat said:

I use Zdoom to emulate the look and feel to the original PSX games.

That's misguided; PSX Doom never was limited to rendering a paletted image. ZDoom is going to look ugly whenever there's colored lighting around.

yeah, totally identical.

And I'm not following any instructions. This project is intended for GZDoom, it was tested in GZDoom, it displays properly in GZDoom. Regardless of whether it works or not in ZDoom, it's not supposed to be played in that port because it looks nothing like as was intended.

Carniverous Goat said:

The software render makes it look identical to the original Playstation Doom especially at it's lowest resolution (which is pretty fucking cool for purist like me).

Again, no.

Colored lighting changes the color of the sprites and textures, and in PSX Doom it changes them to colors outside of the palette. ZDoom forces them back into the palette, which degrades colors. Same for the transparency effects (used on spectres and nightmare spectres). That's the entire reason why the PSX TC was for GZDoom instead of ZDoom in the first place!

quoting before you inevitably edit this post out too

Carniverous Goat said:

Yes, yes, we've clearly made our point. For a second time, since Eris and Gez seem to be two halves of the same person. Tell me how to run Gzdoom at 300x200 and call it a day.

You use the 1.x branch, and not 2.x

Gez said:
Bugs:

Gez said:

Even more bugs:

LOST34 (Habitat): Sector #143, tagged 38, never lowers to open access to the switch. This means that the way out of the level is made needlessly obscure (you can't cause a pipe to appear in the nukage leading to the ridiculously small linedef whose crossing opens up access to the last area of the map). In the original TNT.WAD MAP22, this is lowered when crossing a linedef as you go toward the DOORYEL/LOCKYEL door between the nukage silo and the sewer.

Did they recently release a fix for the above said bugs for the three stages mentioned above (Black Keep, Main Processing, Habitat)? The link I see still points to the release with those bugs. Or am I missing something?

No because im pretty sure there are no arch-viles in the lost levels, its supposed to be a close proximity to PSX style levels after all.

vinnie245 said:

No because im pretty sure there is no arch-viles in the lost levels, its supposed to be a close proximity to PSX style levels after all.

I did for a Brutal Doom Version plus their beside the Bloody Meat Hook. (With added Credits of course.) And did a random spawner for the Cut Nightmare Imp that was originally suppose to be added into the PSX Version. In this Screen Shot

With this Summery

"Scan of only known picture of a Nightmare imp in a little-known press release beta version of Doom for the Sony PlayStation. The pictured monster species was entirely removed from all maps before the game's official release. Original source of image is November, 1995 issue #2 of Maximum: The Video Game Magazine, published in the United Kingdom, page 56"

The way PSX Doom worked, you could make a "nightmare" version of any monster that exists in the game, all you needed to do was set a couple of spawn flags. (You know, the same flags as, say, "Ambush" or "Multiplayer-only"; PSX Doom added two translucency flags and if they're both set the monster is a nightmare version.)

So you could easily make a nightmare imp with a simple romhack. Or, say, a nightmare spidermastermind. You could make an "all-nightmare" romhack, heh.

Gez said:
Bugs:

Gez said:
Even more bugs:

Any word or status on these bugs? Also, I noticed that in the last part of the stage "Main Processing", aren't the platforms in the open courtyards supposed to be raised up? Instead, it's all virtually flat and can access certain areas differently almost immediately, which I don't believe was intended. And of course, there's still the bug of certain enemies not being released from their spawns/cells in that area too.