Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellslime

GZDoom: Enabling OpenGL (dynamic lights, etc.) disables mouselook/freelook.

I finally got around to enabling OpenGL in GZDoom in the console. The next boot of GZDoom had mouselook/freelook enabled for about 45 seconds, then disabled freelook. The mouse still works for movement (turning, walking) but it is bound solely to the horizontal plane. Mouselook is enabled in the Mouse Options section of the menu and both zdoom.ini and zdoom_Computer.ini bear "freelook=true". This happened as a result of using the console command "vid_renderer 1". Rentering "vid_renderer 0" removes OpenGL effects but returns freelook.

Does anyone have any suggestions on finding a way around this issue? I'd like to have OpenGL for the dynamic lights, but I play with mouselook/freelook.

Edit: I should say that I Googled the hell out of this, paying special attention to the ZDoom wiki sections on subjects as relevant to this issue as I could understand, and ultimately found nothing addressing this.

Are you playing specific levels or mods?

Do you have some kind of third party program or bind that disables vertical mouse movement or changes the axis handling?

I've been testing a map-in-progress with Project Brutality. No other programs running that have anything remotely to do with mouse movement, to my knowledge.

I just ran it without Project Brutality loaded (only brightmaps.pk3) and it did the same thing when I entered "vid_renderer 1".

Something on your system seems to interfere with the mouse.
Does it just disable freelook or does it disable the mouse entirely? Can you still turn the player when moving the mouse sideways?

Thanks for the replies, guys.

DMGUYDZ64, I am running GZDoom 2.0.05 which is the most recent build that - as far as I know - is stable. I just downloaded and tried 2.0.03 (which wouldn't run at all for me) and the 1.8.10 fork. 1.8.10 behaves exactly as 2.0.05, running smoothly until I enter "vid_renderer 1" and restart, after which vertical mouse movement is disabled permanently even when I use the "Mouselook always on - Yes" menu option AND edit the .ini files to have freelook set to "true".

I went and tried to update my graphics card driver but after downloading the file for the Intel Graphics Family card "Intel Graphics 3000" (god, even this sounds like a piece of shit to me with my weak knowledge of computers) and running the .exe, it simply stopped and said that "Your computer does not meet the system requirements to run this file". Lol, looks like I'm up the creek with this laptop.

Graf Zahl, yes, the mouse still works in OpenGL mode in GZDoom builds 2.0.05 and the fork 1.8.10, but it disables the vertical axis for movement. As a result, I can no longer look up and down with the mouse, and since I don't have "Actors are infinitely tall" enabled (which I COULD change but won't) my shots can't hit anything above or below me.

TL;DR - Probably need a new computer. Any suggestions for an extremely cheap laptop that can run programs like GZDoom? I know Chromebooks are taking over the world but I think their backwards compatibility is negligible for classic PC games.

Hellslime said:

I went and tried to update my graphics card driver but after downloading the file for the Intel Graphics Family card "Intel Graphics 3000" (god, even this sounds like a piece of shit to me with my weak knowledge of computers) and running the .exe, it simply stopped and said that "Your computer does not meet the system requirements to run this file". Lol, looks like I'm up the creek with this laptop.

This error means you're trying to install a driver that isn't compatible with your Graphics card , You must've downloaded an incompatible driver, use This to detect the right graphics card driver :
http://www.driverscloud.com/en

Thanks for the tip. That website didn't work for me, but I found another one that did. I downloaded the most updated driver for my graphics card but the problem remains - turning on hardware mode removes the vertical movement of the mouse. I'll try some more searching for similar experiences tomorrow.

When freelook becomes disabled, is this on any level spawn or sometime after during gameplay?

The first occurrence happened about 30-45 seconds after level spawn, and every occurrence since, even after switching between software and hardware mode, is immediately upon level spawn.

Point of clarification, when you say you switch renderer, you are restarting GZDoom right?

Either way, when it locks the freelook is actually important. I know of one bug but I can only force it to occur by halting a level transition during level load in a debugger. Once the game is running, your freelook should never reset until the next. Problem is you just described two different symptoms.

Yes, each time I reset the renderer I restart GZDoom in order for it to take effect. The first time I switched on hardware via "vid_renderer 1" and restarted, I played for about 30-45 seconds with freelook enabled, only for it to spontaneously disable, without any ability that I can see (according to my methods listed above - and I am admittedly ignorant about all this) to re-enable freelook. The mouse still works with movement on the horizontal plane, just no longer the vertical. I'm not aware of any other programs that are interfering with the mouse, and searching online has yielded no leads.

Hellslime said:

Yes, each time I reset the renderer I restart GZDoom in order for it to take effect. The first time I switched on hardware via "vid_renderer 1" and restarted, I played for about 30-45 seconds with freelook enabled, only for it to spontaneously disable, without any ability that I can see (according to my methods listed above - and I am admittedly ignorant about all this) to re-enable freelook. The mouse still works with movement on the horizontal plane, just no longer the vertical. I'm not aware of any other programs that are interfering with the mouse, and searching online has yielded no leads.

Can you still use PageUp/PageDown to look up/down? What happens if you are looking up/down when freelook is "disabled" (that is you are looking down or up and your view is not centered when the effect occurs)?

Where did you download GZDoom from?

Just tested it out, and no - I can't use PGUP or PGDN in hardware mode despite setting those to look controls. Turning on software mode returned functionality to those keys for looking (as well as mouse freelook).

I downloaded my versions from the drdteam.org site and I just downloaded another version (1.9 pre828) which was stated as "the last stable release for laptop users and those with graphics cards of the last generation (pre Opengl 3.x)" from moddb.com - which, unfortunately, gives the same results as the previous version I had.

Edit regarding your question about "what happens when you're looking up or down and you disable freelook":

I can only disable/enable freelook in software mode. I've tried looking up in software mode and disabling freelook, and the view stays looking up. I can then use PGDN and PGUP to (approximately, by sight) center my view. This doesn't seem out of the ordinary to me - everything acting as it should.

I can't test this with hardware enabled because neither the mouse nor the PGUP/PGDN keys have any effect on the view. It's like the vertical plane is completely inaccessible.

Hellslime said:

"the last stable release for laptop users and those with graphics cards of the last generation (pre Opengl 3.x)"

Actually even for laptops, OpenGL 3 is last generation, and is even considered a legacy spec for Nvidia (the 300 series and older is frozen to GL3). So much so that even integrated APUs come with GL4 as a standard now.

Hellslime said:

moddb.com

moddb is neither official or even unofficially official for anything G/ZDoom related, and we cannot verify if its contents are untampered as such. Stick to drdteam and its forums for supported GZDoom content. You'll find 1.8.10 there which is the latest OpenGL2.x build.

Hellslime said:

from moddb.com

That might be your problem. Wherever you got it from either had a reason to disable freelook for a mod or changed it just to screw around with you.

I downloaded the moddb.com version last only to test whether the version would make any difference because of their included graphics comments. I've reinstalled v. 1.8.10 directly from the drdteam forums release thread with the same results. The same results occurred with v. 2.0.05.