Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VGA

Black Ops (smooth weapons dehacked mod!)

Hello, I converted this project to DEHACKED:

PerK's Smoother Weapon Animations Enhanced (Black Gloves Edition)

It is basically making the default weapons much smoother and is the black gloves version, because that's what Doomguy is wearing, he is not a lumberjack. :D

Compatible with Doom Retro and Crispy Doom.

Credits:

Spoiler

Per Kristian (creator of the original animations mod)
IcyFreezy (black gloves from blakglov2.wad)
NeuralStunner (PerK HUD fists with gloves)
JoeyTD (pistol with arm)
Blox (improved gloved fists, shotgun/super shotgun frame tweaks, fixes for Z86 chaingun, extra plasma rifle frames & code)
Blue Shadow (plasma rifle tweaks)
Z86 (smoother chainsaw, super shotgun frame fix, chaingun rotation/animation fix, smooth BFG)
Minigunner ("Polished Skull" shotgun muzzleflash)
VGA (conversion to DEHACKED)

Version 5:

https://tinyurl.com/yde5reuo

Mirror:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiVQX0Or4E1vjwutqKomy1mLAQt7

Edited by VGA

I tried it out way before the double post. I loved the new pistol! In the past, I HATED SO MUCH THAT FREAKING PISTOL because it was UGLY. Now, it is so smooth... the feel makes me look like 007, with a pistol in hands, anything I can kill! With style! I feel... it's hard to describe... wow!

Yep, that's why I named this effort Black Ops and why I chose the black gloves edition to adapt.

The fist and the shotguns are much smoother as well.

I always assumed the pistol Doomguy has is a Beretta M9, so here's an animated gif showcasing what Clonehunter is talking about.

Making it look good from the rear perspective might be tough.

Can I try it out? I am not very experienced at spriting from scratch, but I may give a try at respriting a Pistol frame.

I am very bad artistically, I just converted that zdoom mod to dehacked for it to be used with other ports.

Sadly prboom+ still has some problems. I think it is a bug because it works on the other ports.

On 3/7/2016 at 4:17 AM, VGA said:

What wad are you playing there with the BlackOps transparency bug? Is it a wad that contains a modified pallette? In other words, does that wad have a PLAYPAL lump that overwrites the default?

Sector 666. It hasn't got its own palette, Doom Retro has a custom palette, though, called SPLSHPAL, but I think it's for the splash screen only. Valiant.wad has a palette, and it starts to go crazy when the bugged frames want to start playing, I know this wad is not compatible with mods, but I found it curious the other frames were correct. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz3WFRZJ1ZbRNldxZkd3Mm8zdGs/view?usp=sharing&resourcekey=0-a18FWWbxfX01TlhcNQe6uQ
Also, is there a way to make the plasma gun shoot once, and not three times? It was like that in the original Doom and Smooth Doom. 1-2 shots kill a Zombieman for example, so it would be cool to save some ammo.

Edited by Filipianosol : Fixed link.

ReFracture said:

I always assumed the pistol Doomguy has is a Beretta M9, so here's an animated gif showcasing what Clonehunter is talking about.

Making it look good from the rear perspective might be tough.

Perhaps there is a good animated slide frame for the pistol on ZDoom Forums somewhere.

Filipianosol said:

Sector 666. It hasn't got its own palette, Doom Retro has a custom palette, though, called SPLSHPAL, but I think it's for the splash screen only. Valiant.wad has a palette, and it starts to go crazy when the bugged frames want to start playing, I know this wad is not compatible with mods, but I found it interesting the other frames were correct. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz3WFRZJ1ZbRNldxZkd3Mm8zdGs/view?usp=sharing
Also, is there a way to make the plasma gun shoot once, and not three times? It was like that in the original Doom and Smooth Doom. 1-2 shots kill a Zombieman for example, so it would be cool to save some ammo.

I had to make the plasma that way because I wanted the extra sprites being used. And the way DEHACKED works, it was the only way I could think of :D

But now I have another idea to make that work without having to fire 3 shots.

I couldn't reproduce the glitch with the SSG reload frames in a random map with stock textures. Does it only happen when on the background there are specific colours?

VGA said:

I couldn't reproduce the glitch with the SSG reload frames in a random map with stock textures.

It doesn't happen without the mod, as in, the default iwad animation.

VGA said:

Does it only happen when on the background there are specific colours?

No, it's always transparent, just more noticeable when it's over something with a different colour than the broken semi-translucent pixels. To elaborate on the issue: the Black Ops sprites look fine when they are named in a range of SHT2B0-SHT2H0. SHT2A0, SHT2I0-SHT2V0 have the transparent holes when most ssg sprites are imported on them, even the stock sprites. This shows it's not a problem with how the graphics are imported, but something else, maybe the DeHackEd file.

I get graphic issues when playing with just doom2.iwad and black ops.

It ls not exactly transparent, but it is discolored and seems out of pallette. It is more or less noticeable depending on the lighting in the room.

The discolored areas appear dark under dark lighting like the very beginning room of map01.

Brewtal_Legend said:

So, you're using a more recent version that 2.05?

Yes.

OK, I made some changes to the plasma rifle, perkristian had a mistake in his DECORATE code, the reload of plasma took 3 tics more than it should have. I made this mod before SMOOTHED. Nowdays I know that people screw up the timings of vanilla behaviour, even ZDoom had the Revenant wrong for years.

So I fixed the plasma timing and the minimum 3 shots thing. The animation wasn't worth this downside. In the future I will go through every gun and make sure the timing is correct, maybe I can achieve demo compatibility at the end. I will also make the BFG less static by seeing how Smooth Doom does it.

Bonus for anyone using Eternity: The plasma rifle now screams every time you fire it! That's hardcore!

(Actually it's some bug which I will now report, hehehe)

EDIT: The SSG glitch will be fixed when the next Doom Retro version comes out.

I would like to see how 3DGE handles this Dehacked file, or at least if it converts it properly to DDF at runtime...

Chu said:

I would like to see how 3DGE handles this Dehacked file, or at least if it converts it properly to DDF at runtime...

This mod is for ports with MBF dehacked compatibility. All the MBF added states, along with some beta stuff. For example, it uses the DOGS* sprite namespace.

I think the ports with MBF compatibility are WinMBF, prboom+, Eternity and Doom Retro.

Bonus info:
prboom+ and WinMBF crash when firing the Chaingun because I am using a RandomJump code pointer in the muzzle frames to make the muzzle flash random. I am not changing it because I want that code pointer fixed to work in weapon states. Or at least be ignored like Eternity does. Users can remove it from the bex file to use it with prboom+.

VGA said:

I think the ports with MBF compatibility are WinMBF, prboom+, Eternity and Doom Retro.

Oooh, me, me!

For the two people on the planet that still use RiscOS my port is also compatible!

By the way, I just removed the RandomJump so that prboom+ doesn't crash and remembered that it fucks up in other ways, too.

jeff-d said:

Oooh, me, me!

For the two people on the planet that still use RiscOS my port is also compatible!

:D
You are an unsung hero!

Your issue with RandomJump in chaingun's muzzle flash states might actually be caused by FireChaingun rather than RandomJump, because FireChaingun has some quirky hardcoded behavior regarding the state offset from the state it was called from that can change the state it's supposed to jump to, and the behavior isn't consistent in all ports. Use FirePistol for a quirk-less variant of it.

scifista42 said:

Your issue with RandomJump in chaingun's muzzle flash states might actually be caused by FireChaingun rather than RandomJump, because FireChaingun has some quirky hardcoded behavior regarding the state offset from the state it was called from that can change the state it's supposed to jump to, and the behavior isn't consistent in all ports. Use FirePistol for a quirk-less variant of it.

Nah, I have tested it and prboom crashes on RandomJump. I reported it to entryway and he told me:

I do not think it is a bug. It's MBF's behavior. Weapon's codepointers do not work with mobj's states and visa versa.

I was having the same crash with Doom Retro until Brad fixed it:
https://github.com/bradharding/doomretro/issues/178

Anyway, that's not the only problem with prboom+, so...

Bump because I updated the first post with a new version (v3) which has the BFG from Smooth Doom, it is more dynamic, it is pushed back when firing.

Also I went over all guns and the SSG timing got some fixing.

Brewtal_Legend said:

I also checked out that left handed version. Thanks. Looks cool. Though if you look close, you can see what I was talking about with the actual gun stock itself being mirrored from that of the original doom. I may take a crack myself at editing a faithful version. Gonna take a while though. I do all my sprite editing in ms paint. :P

If you didn't have enough patience, I've went over this for you in GIMP :P There might be some pixel anomaly or two, though I've been working on it for some hours, so I think if there is anything, it's nothing notable.

Filipianosol said:

I've updated the left-handed package to v3 - changed the pistol shading mentioned by Brewtal_Legend to match stock Doom, also on the right-handed variant (some colours were lighter than stock Doom), added brown gloves and Vanilla Doom pistol's horizontal position versions https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz3WFRZJ1ZbRU3NZX0lBZmdNOG8/view?usp=sharing

I added your variants to the first post, thanks for sharing :D

Not sure exactly about the Xoffset variant differences. I can't spot it.

On 3/30/2016 at 5:09 AM, VGA said:

Not sure exactly about the Xoffset variant differences. I can't spot it.

Yes, it's supposed to be subtle, distance is ~1-3 pixels.
It's hard to see in-game, but this picture shows it pretty well.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz3WFRZJ1ZbRSzlHUDhndl9MUDQ/view?usp=sharing&resourcekey=0-DEq4VfuvPZn4E9_DagYtCw

Edited by Filipianosol : Fixed link.

VGA said:

Oh, so Black Ops has it perfectly centered. Why would you decenter it on those variations? :D

To match position of original Doom, it's also why it's optional. The slight move to the left looks like recoil - the frame I showed is in the ending of the animation (comparison is cut off), in the start it is centered. I would've made a vertical Doom position version too, but stock Doom's is too far away from Black Ops, and is what makes the amimation unsmooth, jittery. You could say it's for Vanilla Doom enthusiasts :P