Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VGA

Black Ops (smooth weapons dehacked mod!)

Doom Retro v2.1 which just came out has fixed those SSG transparency issues by the way.

This might be a bump, but I made an sub-mod of Perkristian's Weapons Animations and it includes a smoother pistol fire.

Now the pistol's slide goes back when you fire it.... so if you want to use it for your next version you can.

Sorry about the bump guys. :P

Version 4 uploaded which fixes prboom+'s weirdness. Thanks scifista.

This mod is compatible with UAC Ultra by the way, highly recommended! Load BlackOps *after* UAC Ultra though.

If you are using the Doom Retro source port, you can also use my SMOOTHED mod. Load order should be:
1) SMOOTHED
2) UAC Ultra
3) BlackOps

Can you add another mirror for version 4, other than mega, such as MediaFire, Dropbox, TinyUpload,etc? Thanks.

PS: Google Drive is pain for me to download from. Would help if you didn't upload it there.

Hi VGA,

now that Black Ops Version 4 even works properly with PrBoom+, I wonder what would be necessary to make it work with Crispy Doom? I guess I need to implement the additional MBF states and the additiona code pointers, right? Or is there anything more to it that you know of?

Cheers,

- Fabian

fabian said:

Hi VGA,

now that Black Ops Version 4 even works properly with PrBoom+, I wonder what would be necessary to make it work with Crispy Doom? I guess I need to implement the additional MBF states and the additiona code pointers, right? Or is there anything more to it that you know of?

Cheers,

- Fabian

Hello, I am not using any MBF-added code pointers or things in the last version I believe, it's basically the dozens of new states that are essential.

VGA said:

Hello, I am not using any MBF-added code pointers or things in the last version I believe, it's basically the dozens of new states that are essential.

I see, but I need the additional sprites, so it would be necessary for Crispy to load e.g. prboom-plus.wad alongside BlackOps.wad.

But even if I do that, once I fire the plasma gun and lower the weapon I cannot switch back to any other weapon. Also, the animation of the BFG muzzle is somehow glitched. Does this sound familiar to you?

Which sprites do you need? I don't think you need any MBF added sprites, does Doom Retro have any of those, I don't think so. Maybe I misunderstand you, heh.

The stuff you mention sound like bugs when jumping from/to states. If you want you can send me a Crispy Doom build so I can test and maybe pinpoint exactly where it screws up and help you with debugging.

Quick question, does this cause demo desync or is it safe to use while recording? I used BoomEnhanced before and it screwed up my Bloodstain maxes unless the person watching also loaded the mod.

Spectre01 said:

Quick question, does this cause demo desync or is it safe to use while recording? I used BoomEnhanced before and it screwed up my Bloodstain maxes unless the person watching also loaded the mod.

It will definitely cause demo desyncs because of tiny timing changes that I had to make for the sake of good animations.

What is this BoomEnhanced? I googled a bit, can't find it.

Well, I seem to have deleted the wad and can't find it either. It also added smooth animations like in the pk_anim.wad at the cost of removing glowing animation frames from armour/health bonus pickups and making the Arachnotron plasma blue.

Edit: Found my post on it in the Bloodstain Club thread but the link to it is dead now.

Edit2: Bunch of versions of it on this page. I used boom_enhanced1_17.wad for which links are dead but version 18 apparently works and there is also a black gloves version.

Ah, yeah, I had seen that before starting my own. It is made for Boom, not MBF, so he had to cannibalize some of Doom's item animations etc because there aren't enough unused frames and the other stuff you noticed. Not worth it IMO.

Now that prboom+ supports MBF's DEHACKED additions there is no need for that.

You should check out my SMOOTHED mod, it is compatible with Black Ops but it's for the Doom Retro source port only. When used together they are like a bare-bones version of Smooth Doom, check my sig. (No demo support heh)

The only workaround that I can think of for the demo desyncing in prboom+ is that you can use viddump on the demo while loading Black Ops, so it doesn't desync and you then get a video file that you can upload to Youtube.

VGA said:

If you want you can send me a Crispy Doom build so I can test and maybe pinpoint exactly where it screws up and help you with debugging.

So, I added the necessary additional stated from MBF to Crispy Doom last week:

https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/crispy-doom/commit/0d54b36f39fea2c334ee7e8c8a36f2d2354d2d16

Everything seemed to work fine, except for a "R_ProjectSprite: invalid sprite frame 138 : 0" crash whenever I fired the chaingun. So, I investigated a bit. Sprite 138 is TNT1 and that's part of prboom-plus.wad, so it's not a miracle that it is working there. But, why does it work in Doom Retro if this doesn't include any Boom/MBF added sprites? The answer is, it does. Actually, doomretro.wad does contain the tnt1a0 sprite lump, even if it is not present as a graphic file in the res/ directory.

First I wanted to ask you to include this little lump in the BlackOps.wad file in order to make it compatible woth Crispy Doom, but in the end I decided against it and fixed it by special-casing this sprite in the engine. I mean, the sprite is a 0x0 pixel empty graphic. so if it is present the engine is not supposed to render it and so it is if this lump is absent.:

https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/crispy-doom/commit/d84924ce5bfabeb3ccea3134094293dbcbe4a9e3

Could you please download the latest Crispy Doom build from here and check if it entirely works as expected with your Black Ops mod?

http://latest.chocolate-doom.org/

Thank you very much already!

I forgot about TNT1A, well it is standard for ports with Boom support, not an MBF addition.

I tried your build and everything seems to work fine :D
But I didn't play any maps fully with it yet so there is a remote chance that some other frames get screwed up. The weapons themselves seem to work fine.

I got myself into an infinite loop when I pressed the Test button in the mouse setup of the setup program. It kept throwing an IWAD error and the setup program kept relaunching the port, forever :D

Also, I hope you implement some fullscreen stretching. My monitor is 1680x1050. Unless there i an option I missed.

And thirdly, if you like my SMOOTHED mod, it should be easy to implement by just adding extra blank states and MBF's RandomJump pointer. It is needed for the random death animations. If you search the Doom Retro repository for "EXTRASTATES" you will see it is just a few lines of code.

VGA said:

I tried your build and everything seems to work fine :D

Thank you for testing! \o/

I got myself into an infinite loop when I pressed the Test button in the mouse setup of the setup program. It kept throwing an IWAD error and the setup program kept relaunching the port, forever :D

This should be a bug inherited from Choco. I'll see if I can reproduce that, thanks!

Also, I hope you implement some fullscreen stretching. My monitor is 1680x1050. Unless there i an option I missed.

Not yet, but there will be seamless scaling once Choco and thus Crispy have switched to using SDL2.

And thirdly, if you like my SMOOTHED mod, it should be easy to implement by just adding extra blank states and MBF's RandomJump pointer. It is needed for the random death animations. If you search the Doom Retro repository for "EXTRASTATES" you will see it is just a few lines of code.

This should sure be possible.

Does it really need to be 4000 states? What is the highest state number that is used by your mod?

And yo I also need to add the extra sprites and mapthings that DR has or only the states?

Thanks!

- Fabian

Oh, I forgot about those. SMOOTHED isn't using any extra things, it is using some of the new SPxx frames because I was running out of the older ones and it's much cleaner to use new ones.

Highest frame used right now is 1824! If I make a new version it will use more and more, though.

Please add the extra blank states, things and frame sets like Doom Retro has, so it's kinda like an "MBF with extra states" standard. Exl has already added this preset to Whacked4. It's just a for loop for each, eheh, no need to be stingy.

VGA said:

Please add the extra blank states, things and frame sets like Doom Retro has, so it's kinda like an "MBF with extra states" standard.

This is where I currently am. However, when loading the mod, the engine errors out with

R_InitSprites: No patches found for SPOS frame V
I see that this error message is commented out in PrBoom+, is this intended?

Also, do I need to add support for more than 8 sprite rotations first?

Alright, I assume it is safe to ignore this as long the the sprite frame in question is never attempted to be drawn. So, I comment out this error message and this is what I get now:

R_InitSprites: Sprite SKEL frame D has rotations and a rot=0 lump
Is there something wrong with this mod, or why doesn't it adhere to the sprite frame naming conventions? Or am I missing something in my engine code?

If I also comment out this error message, the game starts, but after killing the first enemy crashes with
R_ProjectSprite: invalid sprite frame 145 : 28
which I don't find astonishing anymore.

So, any pointers what I am missing?

One change that has to be made is that using SKELD0 in an addon wad for example must override the SKELA1D1 from doom2.wad

In other words, vanilla does not allow a modder to use a zero rotation frame if there is also a non-zero rotation frame existing in the IWAD. You can safely change it so that a zero rotation frame overrides the existing rotation one(s).

I tried and this is what I get as soon as I shoot the first trooper (it shortly transforms into a chopped-in-half imp before):

R_ProjectSprite: invalid sprite frame 145 : 28

145 : 28 is the final death frame of the zombies, the one that stays forever.

Does the problem start when the enemy goes into his Pain state or his Death state? Because at the start of the Death state there is a RandomJump code pointer to randomly select a rarer, alternate death.

Basically if you can't figure it out, you should send me a windows exe I can use to pinpoint where exactly the error is. At which frame/jump/state/pointer the problem starts.

Do I need to have the Doom-Retro-specific sprites (like SPR_BLD2) and states (like S_BAR, S_BLOODSPLAT* and S_TRAIL*) as well for this to work?

fabian said:

Do I need to have the Doom-Retro-specific sprites (like SPR_BLD2) and states (like S_BAR, S_BLOODSPLAT* and S_TRAIL*) as well for this to work?

No, I am not using those or anything other DR-specific that I can see. I am using some of the added black spritesets, the SPxx ones, like we talked about before. Especially for Explode states.

On 12/25/2016 at 11:39 PM, VGA said:

If you are using the Doom Retro source port, you can also use my SMOOTHED mod. Load order should be:
1) SMOOTHED
2) UAC Ultra
3) BlackOps

@VGA I would like to also make use of @Revenant100 Minor Sprite Fixing Project. Can you please tell the order for incorporating  D2DEHFIX.DEH and D2SPFX18.WAD and if I have to remove either SMOOTHED or BlackOps?

Thanks.

You do not need the fixes in the Minor Sprite Fixing Project if you are using SMOOTHED and Black Ops. They replace pretty much everything weapon and monster related.

(Unless there is something I haven't noticed, in which case let me know.)

Aha! Ok thanks! Well, TBH I was researching on Google: enhancing Doom Retro and MSFP sprung up. As for SM & BO, I have been using them well before DR's rebranding.... Cheers once again.