Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

The DWmegawad Club plays: Revolution!

MAP11 - The Transporter

Kills: 100% | Items: 100% | Secrets: 100%

Nice level overall. I liked the area with the teleports and the trick of making a room getting filled with nukage was neat. Though there were too many supplies as I found a green armor, 2 blue armors in the secrets which one is put next to a megasphere (cool sprite for it btw).

MAP11 - "The Transporter"

I didn't like the progression and the gameplay, but many of the locations were interesting and/or nice to look at. I've found a secret megasphere and thought the sprite replacement wasn't as great as the original megasphere's appearance, although at least a lot better than the health/armor bonus replacements that I consider pretty bad.

MAP11: The Transporter

Fun little techbase map with some interesting contrast in aesthetics - the narrative suggests that the teleporter itself is experimental and new, but the base is grungy, full of toxic slime and stained metal, giving an overall feeling that some new obscenity has been retrofitted into the corroded heart of this metal corpse. There's not a whole lot of challenge to be had, I think I lost more health to my various dashes across slime than to hostile fire, but it's atmospheric and clever and just what I need for a December mapset. :)

11 : 3/5
Great map ruined by mandatory nukage runs and a boring lost soul encounter, the rest of the map was fun though, all this impulsive hitscanner and how you have to hide below them in a fun way.

MAP11: The Transporter
100% kills, 2/2 secrets

I'm always a fan of 'nukage fills up the area and allows access to higher ledges' trope, but beyond that this level left me pretty cold. Completely unnoteworthy gameplay (except for the dangerous cadre of shotgunners at the start) and horribly overstocked level. I know these levels have been short, but this one still stuck out as feeling like half a level (when I reached the blue 'exit' door it felt like it should only be half over).

MAP12 - "Utopia"

Not bad. I though the level structure was interesting this time, intuitive to understand and navigate around, and not feeling as straightforward as the last map did (admittedly, maybe it's just the feeling I've got thanks to the map's visible openness). Good gameplay, with challenging moments that weren't all setpieces. Visuals were OK.

map09
I liked that this was a more explore-y map, with a couple of different ways to go until you get to the r-y-b key sequence. The "well" drop into the exit area was a nice thing to find, for instance and probably a more fun way to engage the barons than if you opened the yellow door to meet them.

The start room has something the map set has been a bit lacking in so far: pronounced lighting variations for cosmetic purposes. Big shifts in light level have to date been purely for gameplay reasons.

Not a fan of the revenant room. "Fight two skellies through a doorway" isn't that exciting once, let alone three times in a row.

map10
If you don't activate the switch at linedef 549 before entering sector 50, you are unable to progress any further in the level. FAIL.

Since I don't have a backup save from the start of the level, I'm out. Maps 01-09 aren't good enough for me to play through them again this soon.

MAP12 - Utopia
ZDoom, Pistol Start, KIS(%): 100/100/100

Now we have some fights in this level, including an unexpected encounter. The non-linear layout made the level more enjoyable, but you won't get lost in this level since the overall design is simple. It took me a lot of time to find a blue armor secret, but I found it anyway after I cleaned up the rest of the map 3 minutes ago. It was good to see some challenging moment though.

MAP07 (100% kills, 100% secrets)
The length of this level was surprisingly short. The main feature of this one is the huge chasm (it's very, very deep). The gameplay was easier than the previous couple of maps too, and the author chose not to use MAP07's trigger effects (thankfully, as I am a bit tired of MAP07 remakes all the time). Aside from that, there's nothing really notable to say about it, and in my opinion, it's one of the weaker maps of this WAD.

MAP08 (100% kills, 100% secrets)
Given the name of this map, I expected more emphasis on rocket launcher gameplay, but most of the areas were too tight to safely use it. Anyways, this map reminds me of "Dead Zone" from Final Doom's TNT, I'm sure you understand why. The map also utilises a 'multiple floors' effect which is very well done, but unfortunately not truly seamless as there is some waiting involved if the player decides to revisit some previous areas for secrets. Still, it's probably my favorite map so far.

MAP09 (100% kills, 100% secrets)
Another small but action-packed level, this time with a hellish theme. The difficulty has remained about the same level for the past few maps - I was expecting it to be rather challenging at this point, but I still haven't died yet (aside from jumping down onto the tracks at the beginning of the second map). This is another map with great visuals and a pretty good layout, and I liked the little surprise crushers at the north end of the level.

MAP10 (100% kills, 50% secrets)
It was okay, but felt kinda dull in comparison to the other maps so far. The gameplay never reached a point where I felt in danger. One cool touch is the signs on the doors in the first room. There is a fair bit of vent crawling here, and a few rooms to explore.

I decided to investigate the inescapable area. Turns out the author originally planned for a door there, but later changed the door to instead be opened via a "floor lower" switch (to allow the switch to lower another sector at the same time). The back of the door is set to a "door open and close fast" effect, which is broken due to the door not actually being a proper door. The author forgot to change this to a lift action. Capellan, if I were in your position, I would just noclip through the door - the author intended for the door to open, and that's what cheats are for! :)

MAP11 (100% kills, 100% secrets)
A little better than the last one, but it still felt rather bland in terms of gameplay - no exciting moments here either. There is also way too much blue armor here (and, for some reason, both a blue armor and a megasphere in one of the secret areas). The map does look nice - especially from the outside.

MAP12 (100% kills, 66% secrets)
This map is set in some brick city, and looks much like a smaller version of the second-to-last map in Plutonia. Thankfully, the gameplay has improved over the last two maps - there is variety in the monsters and the ways they are used, though the arch-viles at the end felt more filler than anything. Still a little too much health going around, but much better than the previous two maps!

MAP12 - Utopia

Kills: 100% | Items: 100% | Secrets: 66%

Interesting setting. The big building with the "utopia" sign on a facede makes me think that this place is also relevant somehow for the story. Fights get more interesting here.

MAP11 - "The Transporter" - UVMax in first try

This level basically sums up everything we saw in this mapset: continuity is back in, overpowered secrets, lots of optional areas, obligatory slime part, the marquee arachnotron of the map, and Half Life reference with the teleporter labs. So I guess next map will be the set in the alien world I guess?

MAP12 - "Utopia" Completed on second try with one monster and one secret left

At least the alienworld is nothing like Xen from Half Life but more like townbuilders, which is convenient as the author likes making city maps I guess. It seems the appetizer's been ended as there is some challenge in encounters now most of them being hitscanners and chaingunners, the mandatory arachnofiend encounters (two of them!) and the first meeting of an old friend. Looking forward what's next in store!

MAP13 - Amok

Kills: 100% | Items: 87% | Secrets: 100%

There aren't many monsters but they are use quite well. The level is really interesting, a little graveyard in front of somekind of fort with underground tunnels too. A strange place that gives me a cool surreal vibe.

MAP12: Utopia

Some fun fights to be had here including a mass-release of grunt monsters that's atypically vicious for this WAD's difficulty curve thus far - between that and the cyberdemon I had a sense that the kid gloves were coming off. The design of the town comes across to me as somewhere between medieval and old-West, very much already an "old place" in contrast to the corrupted modern cities of Doom 2.

MAP13 - Amok
ZDoom, UV - Pistol Start, KIS(%): 100/100/100

There's one thing you need to know: there's a reason that this level provides you a bunch of rocket boxes. Yes, there was an unexpected moment that nearly got me. Anyway, now the game is getting more tense which is really good. The layout and archtectural design are not bad, although I think they could be better. About the only secret, just pay attention to the automap.

Map06: Wasted!

A tidy, classic looking sewer map. Good non-linearity and visually appealing, the curved hallway looks pretty nice for instance. Gameplay is easy as has been thus far and while the damaging nukage can theoretically be an additional gameplay element, it's hardly so here since there are enough radsuits and then some. Didn't really mind the forced damage at the start since there's a surplus of health items in the map anyway. The secrets in this map were rather uninspiring, even though there is a different mechanism on how to access them for three out of four of them. The very last Cacodemon in the exit "hole" is stupid and can be missed with infinite tallness toggled on as well.

Map07: The Valley of Death

Not much to say... The valley looks decent although it could have used a little more detailing or texture variation. Gameplay is even less eventful than in previous maps. Just one Caco in a map they would have fit so well is kind of disappointing. The SSG room with a whole lot of Chaingunners is the lone memorable spot when it comes to combat. Oh well, at least it wasn't a Dead Simple copy.

Map08: Rockit

Decent map. The sector rocket was a little unexpected but a cool touch nonetheless. The nukage lift had a nice gameplay mechanic with the Chaingunners and it can be pretty unhealthy if you don't start dispatching the appearing Commandos quick. The adjacent room with the Arachnotron was fairly interesting combat-wise as well as. The double doors leading to the main chamber are a nuisance but it makes sense that a rocket facility would have extra security...

Map09: Wrath of Man

This was moderately enjoyable. Definitely has a little more bite than what we've seen so far although it is still quite easy. I thought there may have been a Cyber or a couple of Archies or something waiting for me at the end of the map though since a PG and some ammo were given for free midway through but sadly I had to settle for a Baron horde and a bunch of Demons. In any case, it was a fairly engaging map and hopefully similar ones will follow.

MAP13: Amok

Part of me was tempted to make a comment about this being "yet another air vent map" (the WAD's made pretty good use of them so far, but anything has the potential to outstay its welcome) until it clicked to me that they were too large, and in too close proximity to water, for that. Instead, with all the jumping into/running along really big pipes that goes on here, I found myself humming a Super Mario theme by the end of it. The big final encounter reinforces the sense that the difficulty is being stepped up. Overall I'm really liking the compact and self-contained nature of the maps here, breaking things down almost like a 1024*1024 or similar size-constrained WAD without the artificiality of that particular limit or the temptation to buck against/defy it.

MAP13 - "Amok"

I liked this map. Generic but well-executed setting, good level structure, some fun-to-deal-with moments. The exit trap very well complicated attempts to rush through it.

MAP13 - "Amok" - UVMax on first try

Water tunnels are the alienworld vents it seems. Anyway, good map with the obligatory arachnotrons, but this time no overpowered secrets. The rocket boxes were a partial spoiler of what is the final fight is looking like.

12 5/5
This is a great episode opener it shows you what the second episode is all about, boss fights, harsh fights and a rocky setting unlike the grassy theme which I prefered.
I recieved my first death here, meaning this wad picked a new pace to go around! The cyber encouter was well thought out, I didn't die because of him but I died because I didn't bother to kill the enemies from outside before rushing through them indoors. Too many enemies in the exit area.

13 4/5
Could be funner as it's not as good this time, there were those boring metal tunnels that go for too long and the exit trap could be executed better by locking the player in the exit room for a while, there are also some points where you kill a simple filler monster when you could be killing two at once, this is a weak encounter formula that appeared in the first episode for too much and made it feel as a chore. The graveyard is my favorite encounter in this wad so far.

I don't feel like playing through this again. It's pretty good but I don't think it warrants a second visit. I will say that the first two levels are really bad as far as I am concerned. Anyway, most you guys suck for not liking "Phobopolis". It might be the Metroid fanboy in me speaking, but that was the very level that had me deciding to play Revolution! to the end. By, the way I predict that ALL players here will get annoyed by a certain something in MAP18. I certainly know I was.

MAP12: Utopia
100% kills, 2/3 secrets

Into a brick city. It's okay, things perk up a bit with the cyberdemon encounter and two-pronged hitscanner teleport, but still pretty easy overall. The only really dangerous room is the one full of chaingunners (near the comp map secret) especially since they can shoot you from the ledge before you can see them. The invisibility sphere defuses them though. The AV room at the end is just grindy (especially since I was out of rockets at that point and had to use shells), not fun.

MAP13: Amok
100% kills, 1/1 secret

Given the author's penchant for making realistic areas, I suppose I should've expected the graveyard sooner or later. While the bars let you see other areas of the map, the actual path is pretty linear. There's another room filled with chaingunners defused with a handy invisibility sphere. I am glad to see the author using bigger monsters (such as the revenant horde and AVs at the end) but I can't help but thing things could've been made a lot more interesting easily, such as having one of the AVs emerge on top of the revenant corpses instead of the other side of the room.

MAP14 - Dead End

I checked the amount of monsters and it says only '30', I opened the door with relief and I saw bunch of sinister corpse party. And sadly, this is the worst level so far; no recognizable theme, repetitive gameplay, boring layout; unlike previous levels. Perhaps the author thought that it was fine to have symmetric, linear level. But it's definitely not my taste. There's a secret that provides BFG, but it doesn't matter to me anyway since I was able to find it via automap after I killed every single monsters in this level.

PROTIP: Just ignore the Cyberdemon.

MAP14: Dead End

I find myself not much caring for this one. The opening setup screams "arena fight" but it seems that the intended route to victory is to leap down into the blood and ascend via a series of teleports that let you tackle the map's population in tasty bite-sized chunks until you can telefrag the cyberdemon who lords such a dominant field of fire over the whole place. Thematically the blood/corpses/rock arena seems a bit out of place after just a couple of levels of cities, and the death exit makes attempts to beat the earlier not-actually-an-arena portion of the level "well" seem wasted.

14 5/5
Amazing map, I liked how you have to rush past a series of monsters through teleporters, telefrag the cyber and then you have the option to kill everyone or run towards the death exit, I had 140% health, good thing the map gives you a rocket launcher to drain your health quickier.
This map is pure adrenaline rush, definetly my favorite map so far.

MAP14 - Dead End

Kills: 100% | Items: 40% | Secrets: 50%

A Bit too much simple visually but with a nice hellish vibe. Starting on the skull platform full of dead bodies above the blood lake was cool. A really fun map.

MAP14 - "Dead End" - UVMax minus the soulsphere secret on second try

Now I guess that's where things went wrong between humankind and the "Utopia" aliens. The map is not much memorable outside of the starting area being full of corpses. The exit area was meh, even if it makes sense with the next map.

MAP14 - "Dead End"

The beginning had a cool atmosphere IMO, and made good use of the skull flat which you rarely see in any wads. However, the rest of the map was underwhelming, with such a basic structure and repetitive camp-able gameplay. Perhaps it would be more exciting if one tried to speedrun it. Anyway, I thought the map wasn't good. Especially everything that came after the Cyberdemon telefrag outright sucked.

MAP15 - Battleground

Kills: 100% | Items: 100% | Secrets: 100%

A bunker under siege. The room with the corpses on the lava gave me a weird gothic vibe for the map but I liked it. I noticed that the author likes to put loner arachnotrons in open spaces. I was expecting something more exciting for the secret exit but nevermind.

MAP15 - Battleground

So this level was much better than previous level. Not to mention that the doom-style tank certainy makes the feeling that I'm on the battleground. Anyway, do not concern about your dying body if you're playing this wad continuously since this level has a mercy to provide berserk pack to revive you at the beginning. The overall gameplay was fine except I was lost for a while after I obtained a red key. Once again, the exit door threatened me with vicious blood text, but It didn't matter anyway since I found the secret exit thanks to the automap.