Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Google fucking MOVES BUTTONS AROUND

it's just Google; they're free to do whatever they what to their site without explanation

the same thing applies to YouTube

Oh yeah, I've found that pretty annoying too. It'll decide that I don't want a Videos link or an Images link for my search, so rather than it being where it usually is, it'll be off in a pulldown menu to the side.

nxGangrel said:

I don't get it

They move pictures\maps\etc buttons around depending on what you type in the search bar. I guess it's not a good thing when the user gets used to something always working the same way, instead websites should keep surprising us with changing behavior.

Well like you said, Memfis, it changes based on what you put in. If it thinks you were looking for a video it'll show that category, otherwise it'll let other ones take precedence for example. Obviously it's not going to get it right 100% of the time but it's been fairly useful for me in the past I suppose.

The problem is that I already FEEL where the buttons are supposed to be. I am trained to click on them without reading what they actually say. I just know that the second button is supposed to be "pictures", so if I want pictures I click on it automatically, only to get to some stupid map or whatever. You just don't change stuff like this after 10 years, it's like how MaxED swapped OK and Cancel buttons in his editor, which was a big "fuck you" to all users who were accustomed to the old interface.

I also noticed this. A month ago the "image" search button got switched with a shopping button on "google.be", so i literally misclicked. :)

i think they are doing that on purpose to take use of people their habitual clicking.

esselfortium said:

So Google uses bees for military exploitation by using them to torture humans? Damn Google is screwed up, save those bees!

GhostlyDeath said:

Damn Google is screwed up, save those bees!

That's what happens when you're getting in bed with Russians.

I want to find images for something, and Google decides that I actually want to go shopping for something by re-ordering the buttons around.

Good work Google, I'm sure there are lots of people out there looking to buy Neptune's moons or something. Dickheads.

BaronOfStuff said:

I want to find images for something, and Google decides that I actually want to go shopping for something by re-ordering the buttons around.

Good work Google, I'm sure there are lots of people out there looking to buy Neptune's moons or something. Dickheads.

Hah. seems its not "only" on google.be

This could be a being in my 30s thing, but I swear every major website has been getting worse to use and more stupid layouts since about 2007.

Ebay is almost unusuable on an older PC. I don't know wtf they have embedded in their pages but it's bad.

Just in a nutshell, auto play videos. The very worst thing ever possible, made manifest.

Am I alone in this?

I think Youtube's layout changing has decelerated a lot in the past year. There hasn't been anything drastically different that's caused an uproar for a long time.

BaronOfStuff said:

That would be silly, because I own Neptune's moons. US congress essentially allowed mining operations to take place and in a room full of space mining company representatives I quickly called dibs to Neptune's moons. No other miner dare touch anothers moon mine.

pritch said:

This could be a being in my 30s thing, but I swear every major website has been getting worse to use and more stupid layouts since about 2007.

Ebay is almost unusuable on an older PC. I don't know wtf they have embedded in their pages but it's bad.

Just in a nutshell, auto play videos. The very worst thing ever possible, made manifest.

Am I alone in this?

No, web browsing in general just gets slower and slower with all this fancy new web site stuff. Main culprits are Javascript and CSS effects.

They also make websites in such a manner where it "builds" the web page as you click on links instead of loading the entire website and having everything ready beforehand. This is a good idea in theory but when you have a shit internet, it makes browsing sluggish. Not that it was particularly quick to begin with.

BaronOfStuff said:

It's Christmas season now!

The worst kind of modern website is that crap where you have to scroll down or press a button every time you finish reading a sentence or two. Like can't you just give me all that info in a simple text?

Also these stupid little things that require epic accuracy to click on them, and sometimes they keep switching from one to another like every two seconds so you don't even have the time to look at any of the news items or whatever they show you.

Also also the whole "flat design" trend, which is so lifeless. I really hope it dies.

I don't remember a single site redesign that I would really like in the recent years. Some were almost tolerable but still felt pretty much unnecessary.

And yeah, the slowness is getting ridiculous. I have a kinda old PC and more and more often viewing a random site begins with a total browser freeze and having to wait for 10-15 seconds. I don't understand why the internet has to be so resource-intensive: we're just looking at text with some pictures here and there.

Memfis said:

And yeah, the slowness is getting ridiculous. I have a kinda old PC and more and more often viewing a random site begins with a total browser freeze and having to wait for 10-15 seconds. I don't understand why the internet has to be so resource-intensive: we're just looking at text with some pictures here and there.

Indeed. An old machine from 2004 which is able to run and render doom 3 while having 1.5 gig of system AND video memory should have no reason at all to slow down for a damn web-page... Doom 3 needs a lot more CPU and GPU to render than a freaking web page containing a 720p video and some text.

But connecting to 9 to 12 extra servers for one page for every hidden pixel-sized add to have a legal reason to track your connection (you connect to them) knowing there will be advertisements even if 1 pixel in size. 10 Java scripts running weird stuff unrelated to the page you are looking at, and a dozen probes which want to know your system configration inside out later... - things get slow on old machines when the crap on the sites isnt optimized for anything.

This is the era of "we waste gigantic amounts of processing power to not have global defines and recalculate everything all the time to sustain weird programming habits" anyway. "people have 4 cores, we can waste power." is the literal philosophy.

FireFish said:

Indeed. An old machine from 2004 which is able to run and render doom 3 while having 1.5 gig of system AND video memory should have no reason at all to slow down for a damn web-page... Doom 3 needs a lot more CPU and GPU to render than a freaking web page containing a 720p video and some text.

But connecting to 9 to 12 extra servers for one page for every hidden pixel-sized add to have a legal reason to track your connection (you connect to them) knowing there will be advertisements even if 1 pixel in size. 10 Java scripts running weird stuff unrelated to the page you are looking at, and a dozen probes which want to know your system configration inside out later... - things get slow on old machines when the crap on the sites isnt optimized for anything.

This is the era of "we waste gigantic amounts of processing power to not have global defines and recalculate everything all the time to sustain weird programming habits" anyway. "people have 4 cores, we can waste power." is the literal philosophy.

Tis is Wirth's Law.

Oddly comments on the web indicate they started doing this a year ago but it's just now started to affect me. Hello duckduckgo, you are now my default search engine. Google can fuck off.

Quasar said:

Hello duckduckgo, you are now my default search engine. Google can fuck off.

Yeah, Google used to be cool, but sadly, that's no longer the case.

Use duckduckgo.

Nearly everything bitched about herein is a reason why I use NoScript and selective AdBlock via Firefox. Although my PC and Connection are top of the line currently, I can't really say it makes that big of a difference, but I would recommend trying it out if you're having issues like that. Once you've used the plugins long enough and figured out everything to allow and block it really just becomes a background thing only needing a spot of maintenance here and there.

I'd imagine they move them in hopes that you accidentally click on some sort of Google extension that you never even knew existed, and you'll end up looking at it long enough to say "Whatever, might as well give this a shot.".