Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MeetyourUnmaker

Has Doom 64 had a positive or negative effect on custom mapping?

Nearly 20 and 10 years too late accordingly, I'm afraid :-)

(and crap, we're getting OLD :-( )

I was surprised when I found out other games like RTCW were still getting custom maps made for them, there's some Russian map makers out there still making them it seems.

I believe it's a positive impact.
The modding community loves giving DooM a fresh coat of paint.
Taking influence on newer titles can do just that.

Your answer: the same for the original Doom.
Although it was handled differently to give a horror atmosphere, it really fit Doom 64.

Although mapping on a N64 cartridge is impossible/extremely dangerous/hard, but thankfully, Kaiser created Doom 64 EX, with mapping support, creating a bigger impact on the Doom community.

Piper Maru said:

Doom 64/Doom 3 influence is a good thing. But they're just a drop in the ocean of Doom wads, mods and custom stuff.

I understand Doom 3,
But Doom 64 is completely possible to mod with. How come not many people are making Doom 64 maps, now that we have Absolution and EX?

GhostlyDeath said:

Due to Doom 64 being stored on a ROM with DRM (the CIC), I would say it had a negative effect on custom mapping.

EX and Absolution don't use the ROM, but the actual wad of Doom 64.

Voros said:

EX and Absolution don't use the ROM, but the actual wad of Doom 64.

I was saying that it is not trivial to play a custom Doom 64 on a Nintendo 64, unless at the time you had the ultra rare copy devices, but today you can use flashcarts.

TBQH, especially Doom 64 seemed to have almost no effect on mapping, at least no immediate effect. Can you name any famous mapsets directly inspired by Doom 64?

Sure, maybe a couple of things like the color scheme, or its techbase design style, so different than classic Doom's, but it didn't cause a wave of Doom 64-like maps or anything.

Maes said:

TBQH, especially Doom 64 seemed to have almost no effect on mapping, at least no immediate effect. Can you name any famous mapsets directly inspired by Doom 64?

Sure, maybe a couple of things like the color scheme, or its techbase design style, so different than classic Doom's, but it didn't cause a wave of Doom 64-like maps or anything.

Because we were busy making Doom 2 maps filled with varying enemies...
Plus making Doom 64 maps and running it on EX/Absolution may not work...I tried making a simple map. But chances are that since I'm new in mapping, that could be the problem on why it didn't work for me.

I've been more influenced by games that aren't Doom than Doom and its various iterations. I'm hoping at least one person recognises the Stonekeep theme I was going for in my ASS map.

Idk, honestly I'm not seeing a trend of Doom 3 or Doom 64 influences growing up.

Doom64 have rather small and sometimes simple maps by todays mapping standards. They were created with one player in mind, on a hardware which had to handle everything on a small cartridge.

Doom3 have a complete different gameplay, so these mapping style wouldn't really fit in Doom/Doom II maps. Plus, the Doom 3 maps are boring and lazy.

Legacy Of Suffering doesn't really have Doom3-like combat, though. I personally find its gameplay just weird and untasty.

If anything, I would mention Threshold of Pain II demo as a good example of Doom 3 influences in classic Doom mapping - and I'm not talking just about the homages and shared enemies.

Voros said:

I understand Doom 3,
But Doom 64 is completely possible to mod with. How come not many people are making Doom 64 maps, now that we have Absolution and EX?

Not only is a hassle (or possible moral issue) acquiring the ROM, but Doom 64 uses a lot of queer flags and specials. Implementing certain things isn't as intuitive and it can be a challenge taking advantage of the scripting. It's fairly different than standard Doom editing. There's a DoomBuilder 64, but good luck finding tutorials on it!

The way I look at it is like this. Consider that the custom mapping tools are still limited on what they can do, sure some ports allow for 3d functionality, but most wads use it sparingly for bridges or whatever, so it's not really that far from what we're used to. And keeping that in mind, I think that any influence on custom content is a positive thing. It keeps it from getting stale and plain, we get more textures, atmosphere designs, sounds, guns, ideas, trap design, story lines, and at the same time we don't have to worry about our Doom wads turning into something from Doom 3 directly, or Fear, or whatever modern game you can think of. We get the best of both worlds in my opinion. Doom 64 specifically though I think it's a great influence on maps. The atmosphere in that game is UNRIVALED in terms of creepy, lonely, helpless, hopeless, undeniably terrifying surroundings. That's the only Doom title I can play and still feel scared at some parts, just because of the ambient sounds, the level design and graphics, and it's something I love. Not even Doom3 with all the jump scares can do that to me. And Doom I and II definitely aren't scary.

Anyone who take some influence from Doom 64 on their Doom/Doom II mapping, it's a positive to me. 64 was my favorite "old Doom", I love it's style and atmosphere, so if you're trying to recreate that in your I/II wads, and you do a decent job at it, chances are I'll dig your maps.