Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
driftyloon

Strange doom launcher CD bought in Hong Kong made in Canada

Recently while cleaning out my CD closet, I stumbled upon a Strange Doom CD. It is entitled Doom's Day Collection. I remember buying this is Hong Kong but on closer inspection it is made in Canada. The CD is primarily launcher which needs Doom registered wad and knows nothing about Doom 2 or Final Doom.

I have found no info online and so I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this?

Pics: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mwmug5hciqbkxtq/AADjWwmKA1qjgQZKYA9A_boNa?dl=0
Video: (coming once I can get it running properly)

Interesting, could you paste a directory listing of what's on the CD?

Assuming you're in Windows, you can do (Win key)+R and type "cmd" and then at the prompt do something like

d:
dir /s >> c:\files.txt

I have this disc as well. It's basically another Doom shovelware disc that was published in 1995 from Canada by a company called Microforum. It had its own WAD loading interface utility, as was the style at the time.

Here's the full directory file listing:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4X6_GM5D7D_Qk1CdzV6YS1lVDA/view?usp=sharing

Here's an example boxed copy that was on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DOOMsDAY-COLLECTION-Microforum-BigBox-Boxed-PC-DOS-Retro-Doom-Rare-Klassiker-/

It apparently also went under the name "Deathday Collection" using the same artwork:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-BIG-BOX-PC-GAME-DEATHDAY-COLLECTION-FOR-DOOM-DOOM-II-1995-MICROFORUM-/181794581570?hash=item2a53cd2c42

Some screenshots of the interface:

Revenant100 said:

I have this disc as well. It's basically another Doom shovelware disc that was published in 1995 from Canada by a company called Microforum. It had its own WAD loading interface utility, as was the style at the time.

My version only asks about Doom 1 so I must have an early copy. It's always been a very suspicious disc. Ah well I thought that I was onto some rare stuff but nevermind XD

driftyloon said:

Here is an iso file created from the cd. Should be able to open it with 7zip.

Sorry, is there supposed to be a link there?

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Selling launchers ? Did ID allow it ? Was it legal anyway ?

Do bears crap in the woods?

Clonehunter said:

Isn't that wares? Or no because of shovelware?

I don't see a copyright anywhere on the screens. Night of the Living Dead got screwed over for less.

Revenant100 said:

No, Deathday has about 50% more content than Doomsday. But you're right about the recycled artwork, they even regurgitated the blurb on the back of the box.

One minor irritation with Microforum is that their big box compilations usually shipped without jewel case inlays, so this might be the first time I've seen them for Deathday Doomsday.

I see a lot of the same levels I've seen on other shovelware compilations of the 90s.

Well, the companies that made those shovelware CDs were not precisely known by their originality (as GreyGhost said, they even used the same artwork).

Thanks for the link driftyloon.

EDIT

Technician said:

I doubt they knew or even gave a fuck.

Seriously though, how the heck would you buy a Launcher ?

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Selling launchers ? Did ID allow it ? Was it legal anyway ?

Seriously though, how the heck would you buy a Launcher ?

Nothing wrong with selling a launcher, so long as you're not stealing somebody else's work. Though there's no mention of a launcher on the box, so I assume most people originally purchased that CD for the hundreds of megabytes of wads which would otherwise have to be downloaded over a 56k (or slower) dialup connection.