Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Azuruish

About Skills/Difficulty

Difficulty in game is very important. And interesting will be there 'Nightmare' in new Doom and what kind of difficulty will be?
I hope it will not be as it was in Doom 3.

There's not been any real info on this yet.

I have no doubt that the top difficulty will called "Nightmare" though.

I hope we see more like Classic Difficulties than the lame D3 ones.

1. More monsters with higher difficulties
2. Randomized monsters (harder difficulties have a higher chance to spawn stronger monsters)
3. Faster/Tougher/Smarter Monsters
4. A way to customize all the above.
5. Last a least important: Player damage taken

AirRaid said:

There's not been any real info on this yet.

Actually we do know one interesting fact. One of the devs said the player pretty much dies in one hit on the highest difficulty (I can search for the video later, but I'm positive that was said).

So while the classic Doom games increase difficulty by upping the enemy count and replacing weak enemies with stronger enemies, it seems the new DOOM will increase difficulty via higher enemy damage. That's definitely a lazier way to increase difficulty, so I hope it works out better than I'm expecting and there's more to it than that.

ChickenOrBeef said:

Actually we do know one interesting fact. One of the devs said the player pretty much dies in one hit on the highest difficulty (I can search for the video later, but I'm positive that was said).

So while the classic Doom games increase difficulty by upping the enemy count and replacing weak enemies with stronger enemies, it seems the new DOOM will increase difficulty via higher enemy damage. That's definitely a lazier way to increase difficulty, so I hope it works out better than I'm expecting and there's more to it than that.

It is not only lazy but pretty shitty. I hope people address tehse concerns when we get closer to beta.

Another reason to let us edit the Campaign within snapmap.

Zemini said:

It is not only lazy but pretty shitty. I hope people address tehse concerns when we get closer to beta.

Another reason to let us edit the Campaign within snapmap.

This is completely dependent on how all the mechanics in the game work in unison. Is it shitty that you die in one hit in Robotron? This could actually make the health dropping from enemies very interesting. Forcing you to be aggressive while constantly on the brink of death could add an interesting dynamic to the game.

ChickenOrBeef said:

What?
They can't be serious, 1-hit and you're dead?!
A fucking 1-hit death is stupid, because of hitscaners and fast projectiles coming to your way, that you can barely dodge!
If this is true, then there's gonna be problems.

Piper Maru said:

One hit kill sounds pretty fun actually.

And auto-removing your saves after your death sounds pretty fun too. -_-

1 hit sounds stupid unless it is a rocket launcher or rail gun. I can't really see any point of playing a mode where I play as a pansy who can't take a few bullets.

I guess you guys didn't like Action Doom, either.

Also, have we seen any hitscanner monsters yet? Everything seems to shoot lasers or projectiles.

As long as it's not the artificial "difficulty" where enemies become bullet sponges, everything should be fine.

I think Doom would eliminate a lot of potential complaints if it includes multiple "slider" options for difficulties, or if not sliders, then just a few options for different aspects of the game. There would be preset difficulties that affect all options, but ideally the player could use the preset difficulties as a base on which they can edit the details of how the game plays.

If there are options to basically let the player balance their own game as they wish, that would be fantastic. For example, increasing the hp of an imp from 0% - 200%, or being able to switch off cinematic "finishers" with a simple yes/no option.

I think giving the player as many options as possible is the best way to make the game please everyone.

Zemini said:

I hope we see more like Classic Difficulties than the lame D3 ones.

1. More monsters with higher difficulties
2. Randomized monsters (harder difficulties have a higher chance to spawn stronger monsters)
3. Faster/Tougher/Smarter Monsters
4. A way to customize all the above.
5. Last a least important: Player damage taken

Randomized monsters is actually a great idea! Like categorized so baron's don't spawn in the first level, or something.

^thats possible in id Tech 1.
Hopefully, someone can figure out the code needed to achieve it in Doom 2016.

Anyway, I would love to see a Nightmare mode, where the story could be like Doomguy is dreaming after the massive slaughter he did, but now he's doing it again in his dream, with demons that keep replacing every dead one.
Wait, that's more like a game mode rather a game difficulty.

Flesh420 said:

Randomized monsters is actually a great idea! Like categorized so baron's don't spawn in the first level, or something.

Or an Imp is randomly replaced with an Imp variant...this could work in Classic Doom as well. Imagine, an imp replaced with a stronger imp that uses a skin from the Realm667 repository.

Voros said:

Anyway, I would love to see a Nightmare mode, where the story could be like Doomguy is dreaming after the massive slaughter he did, but now he's doing it again in his dream, with demons that keep replacing every dead one.

Ideas for DLC :D

DooM_RO said:

Or an Imp is randomly replaced with an Imp variant...this could work in Classic Doom as well. Imagine, an imp replaced with a stronger imp that uses a skin from the Realm667 repository.

Herculine's Doom Upgrade mod.
On Moddb. Unfortuantely, I can't give link now.
Also, its random placements, so you have start a new game if you its not a stronger Imp.
Who cares, it could be a scientist or chaingunner or black imp or red skull baron or female zombie or spectre lost soul or red pinky- it doesn't stop!

Edit- wait I can!
http://www.moddb.com/games/doom/addons/herculines-doom-upgrade-final

Although I don't like the weapons...or sounds...

Judging by the trailer footage at E3, any worries about hitscanners on the high difficulties should probably be quenched because all the zombiemen equivalents had projectile-blasting arm cannons. In a way, it seems to be going the Halo route of all the singleplayer enemies having projectile weapons so it makes for fun damage avoidance, rather than soaking up damage from unavoidable hitscanners, so it keeps you mobile and on the move for the more risky players rather than trying to stay and pop behind cover.

Combine that with the aggressive AI that actively charges for your position, and good luck even trying to keep a cover position without a Hellknight keeping you away from it. People complain about the speed itself, but you also have to combine that with what we've seen of encounters so far and the pacing involved.

If people cant handle the prospect of 1-hit deaths they probably shouldn't be playing the highest difficulty :^)

Difficulty with one hit isn't exciting at all. I guess if you playing COD for example you don't put maximum damage because it doesn't change gameplay so much in game except
you will just die more and get damage from 14 to 60 as it was in Quake 4.
Even in this case difficulty in Doom 3 looks more exciting.

Flesh420 said:

Well if one coder can figure this out for a Doom 3 mod (which I am no way affiliated with, nope), then I'm sure all of id could figure it out if that's what they wanted to do.

AirRaid said:

Well if one coder can figure this out for a Doom 3 mod (which I am no way affiliated with, nope), then I'm sure all of id could figure it out if that's what they wanted to do.

id Software created the code. Should be much of a problem to add a bit more code for a small thing like that (in their eyes).

There's a Doom 3 randomizer mod? Sounds... wrong. It would ruin the story progression.

J.B.R said:

A fucking 1-hit death is stupid, because of hitscaners and fast projectiles coming to your way, that you can barely dodge!

I don't think I saw anything in any of the gameplay footage that didn't attack with projectiles, except for the player.

Voros said:

id Software created the code. Should be much of a problem to add a bit more code for a small thing like that (in their eyes).

There's a Doom 3 randomizer mod? Sounds... wrong. It would ruin the story progression.

What I'm saying is, randomised encounters is already a thing in certain areas of Phobos.

So what you guys think about that?

I'M TO YOUNG TO DIE. - for console players lower damage from monsters number of monster.Low quantity off higher tier demons (hellknights, barons, cyberdemons). Checkpoints meter distance, arrows and autosave.

HEY NOT TO ROUGH. - same but increase quantity of demons.

HURT ME PLENTY. - highest level for console player. Autosaves and meter.

ULTRA-VIOLENCE. - Default difficulty for PC players. Highest quantity of demons max numbers of high tier demons. NO - Checkpoints meter distance, arrows or autosave. And ofcourse no glowing bodies.

NIGHTMARE. - Ultimate challange double speed from monster.

Well actually they mentioned in some article recently that Nightmare would be the one without mid-level checkpoints.

Also, please stop your dumb "hurr console players are babies" nonsense.

What AirRaid said.

The devs wouldn't give certain platforms specific difficulties anyways.

And ofcourse no glowing bodies.

Pretty sure they've confirmed that is togglable already.

Doom 4 UV better be harder than doom2 UV if they go that route then. And nightmare being +fast alone is kinda boring. It needs to be harder than original nightmare because people managed to beat it after all!