Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LanHikariDS

Shrinking sprites help

Is there any program that can shrink sprites/pictures without blending all the colors? When I use MSPaint to shrink it, the blank space bleeds into the actual sprite, making it harder to make the blank space transparent in SLADE.

LanHikariDS said:

Is there any program that can shrink sprites/pictures without blending all the colors? When I use MSPaint to shrink it, the blank space bleeds into the actual sprite, making it harder to make the blank space transparent in SLADE.

in decorate, use scale (size here) to make something shrinked

riki2321 said:

in decorate, use scale (size here) to make something shrinked

Use it where? Neither you, nor the Wiki specify where that goes in a line.
EDIT: I read on ZDoom Forums that scale doesn't work on weapon sprites. Plus, I'd rather not scale using ZDoom scripts, so it won't be such a pain in the ass to get offsets right for all the frames.

Yes, weapon sprites can't be scaled by software renderer, so that you need to downscale them manually in an image editor instead. Naturally, downscaling sprites which already have low resolution inevitably leads to even lower resolution and thus lower pixel count and lower accuracy to the original sprite.

If MSPaint doesn't do it well enough, try GIMP or any other graphic editing software. While you're at it, you can try to convert the paletted sprites to RGB format first, then downscale them, then convert them back to Doom palette (via either SLADE3 or the graphic editor itself if you import the Doom palette into it).

scifista42 said:

Yes, weapon sprites can't be scaled by software renderer,

That's not entirely correct for ZDoom. While you cannot specify a scaling value in the weapon actor, you can actually use scaled textures which then do apply their scaling factor.

scifista42 said:

Yes, weapon sprites can't be scaled by software renderer

Not entirely true; you can downscale them with TEXTURES scaling.

Admittedly the offsets become a bit hard to predict when scaling weapon sprites.

scifista42 said:

If MSPaint doesn't do it well enough, try GIMP or any other graphic editing software. While you're at it, you can try to convert the paletted sprites to RGB format first, then downscale them, then convert them back to Doom palette (via either SLADE3 or the graphic editor itself if you import the Doom palette into it).

I'm not sure how it's supposed to help with blurry edges. If anything, in Photoshop with default settings it will lead to the edges being blurred (it always scales indexed images with nearest neighbor scaling, true color images are getting scaled with whatever is set). SLADE can help with them during conversion by allowing you to specify the threshold, but I wouldn't rely on it too much - probably won't be very pretty regardless of what you set.

In any case, if the OP isn't familiar with graphics editing, the cleanest solution is engine-side scaling, although it won't work outside of ZDoom.