Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
termrork

Any Go players here?

Since the search did not give any results, I was wondering if there are any Go players in the doomworld universe?

For those who do not know, Go (also called Igo, weiqi, baduk) is an ancient asain board game: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_(game)

Currently the only games I am playing is Doom and Go. It might be interesting to find someone who shares both interests.

It would be interesting to find someone who likes the SCP Foundation and Doom for me.

Go, I've heard of it before. Although I don't know how you play it. I'm only OK in chess, but 95% of all the matches I had were failure to me *sigh*. But I kept them on the edge.

Ok back on topic.
If you want to ask people about their interest in Go (if any), then you might have posted this thread in the Blogs then here. But whatever.
I would try to play this, but I doubt anyone I know knows how to play.
And I'm not sure whether...uh, Go boards are possible to be bought or found in the country I'm situated in

I used to play Go, we call it Baduk in here, when I was in elementary school. Although I didn't play that much long time, I still can recall some basics. Nowadays, my father sometimes watch the TV channel about Go(Yes, one of TV channels features Go 24/7), and it usually broadcasts the international Go tournament, featuring Korean, Chinese, and Japanese professional Go players. Go may seems like hard to enter for beginners, but once you learn how to play it, and learn some basic strategies, It's really fun to play it and you'll probably spend much time to win the game since it took a lot of time to finish it. The game gets more interesting if you meet the right opponent who has the same hand; who has similar skill with you.

Instead of strategic, difficult, long-term chess-like board game, we have another simple, but fun board game using Go stones. We call it Alggagi(알까기), which means "batting the egg(stone)". Basically, both players have the same amount of stones, usually 5~8 stones each, and they take a turn to bat their own stone to hit the opponent's stone to take it out from the board. In the end, the player who knock out the opponent's every stone wins the game. Here's one of youtube videos featuring Alggagi game.

@Voros actually I googled SCP Foundation but had a hard time to find out what it actually is.
If you like chess you might also like Go. What fascinates me is that it has also a creative component in it.

@antares031 hahahaha nice video! I hope those are not the top players of the game, since it looks like there is potential to be better. Sadly I only have a magnetic go board and stones, so I cannot shoot them, otherwise I would try it out, the people playing it seems to have a lot of fun. Btw. why havn't you continued playing baduk?

edit:
@antares031 another question which comes into my mind: would you say esports is reducing the interest in baduk for young people?

termrork said:

@antares031 hahahaha nice video! I hope those are not the top players of the game, since it looks like there is potential to be better. Sadly I only have a magnetic go board and stones, so I cannot shoot them, otherwise I would try it out, the people playing it seems to have a lot of fun. Btw. why havn't you continued playing baduk?

Both players from the video are directors of basketball team, not a professional Alggagi or Go players, and they were participating the annual event.

About my Go experience, maybe I was too young(8 years old back then) to enjoy the Go. But come to think of it, me and my friends found even more interesting game that dominated our country called Starcraft.

Edit: I eventually answered to your additional question while I'm writing the reply. It is true that e-sport gets more attention from many people nowadays. Most of the time, Go takes attention from old people who didn't have any internet or computer during their childhood. Luckily, A few younger people are still playing that ancient board game, succeeding the history of Baduk.

For a moment I thought this thread would be about CS: Go.

Voros said:

It would be interesting to find someone who likes the SCP Foundation and Doom for me.

And did I not mention Telekill Alloy by name?

Jaxxoon R said:

And did I not mention Telekill Alloy by name?

IDK. But I know you have seen the site, and the expierence too.
Are you a Go player?

Jaxxoon R said:

When I saw this thread I knew it was about Go, the game.

For a moment I thought about trolling this thread and saying that I do not touch Go, the programming language, since Java is better.

As for Go, the game, I made a Turbo C DOS program which could play it. Of course after I made that, I never played the game ever again.

@Voros: I checked SCP, but I have to say I am not interested, yes it is because I do not enjoy reading (especially stories).

@antares031 :D I cannot blame you, starcraft is an awesome game and I also prefered pc games compared to for example chess. But today I really enjoy the simplicity of such board games compared to any pc game. MAYBE the top go players are living today, since when the interest decreases the amount of people playing it will decrease too and therefore the strength of the best people (because smart people (in that context) will not play go, but for example starcraft).

@Jaxxoon R, GhostlyDeath: I was aware that people could think that I am asking for CS:go players, but I thought it was obvious that I do not have to ask for that, since I bet there a lot of people here who play it. Ok and for the programming language, well, are you a player if you use go as a language?

@Voros, if you are interested in general in go engines, I have made one in java which I could send you if you want (without AI)

edit: @Voros, I had no idea that such blogs existed in doomworld

^No AI? I'll definitely get my butt kicked by a sentient human rather than an AI (although they also kick my butt, especially on chess with level 1 difficulty *shame*).

But sure, send over to me by email, or if there is a download link, post it here.

I love reading stories. Right now I'm reading Halo:First Strike (Yes, Halo).
You should that blog called "Reading".

I understand why you didn't like SCP. Not many people like reading for a hobby (at least the people I know).

I know this is out of the question, but do you stil have the source code? If so, how about sending that also? If you wish, you don't have to.

Chess AIs are strong, even with a bad hardware, go AIs not, the possibilities how the game evolves are just too big. Well saying I do not like reading is maybe a bit weird in general, I do enjoy reading scientific stuff. I am simply not interested in stories, I also do not enjoy watching movies about stories.
Of course, I was talking about the source code, only the binaries would be boring. I will send them you as soon as I find them. If I don't send them in the next days, write me an pm, for sure I forgot it then.

Go is much more complex and AI is much more complex than Chess. Tons more moves.

Voros said:

Can you post a link of this program? I'm very interested to see it.

The hard drive it was on refused me by saying "click click click click click click". This was back around 2004, and since it was 2004 there were no source control backups.