Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RaphaelMode

Deterioration themed gameplay mod

Recommended Posts

Have a quick Play through Entryway or your favorite Ultimate Doom episode and watch the world around you turn into a lie. It's a minimalistic and lightweight mod so do it.

[DOWNLOAD]

WARNING! These terrible people posted spoilers all over the place! So if you have a moment to appreciate fine art, try the WAD out BEFORE reading further!






































































Okay.

Share this post


Link to post

It's just mutilated versions of MAP01, E1M1 with homs. Not even worth to download it.

Share this post


Link to post
gaspe said:

It's just mutilated versions of MAP01, E1M1 with homs. Not even worth to download it.


This is not true. Not even more than 40% true.

So what you're saying is that really no one gets it? I will just wait some more and if really no one will get this then maybe I will formulate an explanation.

Share this post


Link to post

What I "get" is that you've cut back each of the five start levels (E*M1 and MAP01) to only those lines and sectors initially and immediately visible to the player, so that if I move or turn around or attempt to interact with the environment in any way, all I see are graphics glitches where level geometry doesn't exist.

But presenting this as a "deterioration themed," as a "gameplay mod" when there's precious little gameplay, framing it as "watch the world around you turn into a lie" when your audience knows that all that's going on is a cluster of errors... I don't know, maybe it's 2deep4me.

Share this post


Link to post
TheOrganGrinder said:

What I "get" is that you've cut back each of the five start levels (E*M1 and MAP01) to only those lines and sectors initially and immediately visible to the player, so that if I move or turn around or attempt to interact with the environment in any way, all I see are graphics glitches where level geometry doesn't exist.

But presenting this as a "deterioration themed," as a "gameplay mod" when there's precious little gameplay, framing it as "watch the world around you turn into a lie" when your audience knows that all that's going on is a cluster of errors... I don't know, maybe it's 2deep4me.


Tsk, tsk...

You must be one of those people that can look at the Mona Lisa, or listen to Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side of the Moon', or watch 'The Godfather', or gaze upon the Grand Canyon, and all you can think about is how it looks like a giant turd.

People like you just don't "get" fine art. Perhaps you should just go to Charley's Grilled Subs, and get some of those french fries* with cheese, bacon bits, and ranch, you heathen. You sound like an uncultured American.

;)


* These are actually pretty decent if you don't put any ranch on them, because that is gross and uncivilized. Instead of ranch, they should offer Huy Fong Sriracha (the only other hot sauce/condiment I use is Tabasco, and I only use that to make bad food tolerable enough to eat).

Share this post


Link to post
frithiof said:

Tsk, tsk...

You must be one of those people that can look at the Mona Lisa, or listen to Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side of the Moon', or watch 'The Godfather', or gaze upon the Grand Canyon, and all you can think about is how it looks like a giant turd.

People like you just don't "get" fine art. Perhaps you should just go to Charley's Grilled Subs, and get some of those french fries* with cheese, bacon bits, and ranch, you heathen. You sound like an uncultured American.


There. Mission accomplished. I can label this WAD as time not wasted.

Got to admit that you can't be hard on TheOrganGrinder specifically given that he was the first in the thraed to accurately prove his 100% comprehension of all the mod's contents AND admit that it may be 2deep4him.

Also his was the response without sarcasm. Sarcasm is as good as frosting but you can only eat so much without the cake.

I obviously had to say that this WAD is a gameplay mod, otherwise it would not make sense to start the game and see IWAD levels.

I think it's an interesting theme, the assumption of the existence of the things that we don't see. Like when you think there's a bathroom behind your bathroom door, just because it turned out to be true a few times.

Share this post


Link to post
RaphaelMode said:

I think it's an interesting theme, the assumption of the existence of the things that we don't see. Like when you think there's a bathroom behind your bathroom door, just because it turned out to be true a few times.


That reminds me of the time I put a cat in a box. Except I attached a special device to the cat: it was a Geiger counter, but in the counter was a small bit of a radioactive substance, so small, that perhaps in the course of the hour one of the atoms decays, but also, with equal probability, perhaps none; if it happens, the counter tube discharges and through a relay releases a hammer that shatters a small flask of hydrocyanic acid.

Anyhow, I never bothered to see how the experiment ended. Did the cat survive and get out of the box, or did it die?

I will probably never know, and I don't really care.

Share this post


Link to post
frithiof said:

That reminds me of the time I put a cat in a box. Except I attached a special device to the cat: it was a Geiger counter, but in the counter was a small bit of a radioactive substance, so small, that perhaps in the course of the hour one of the atoms decays, but also, with equal probability, perhaps none; if it happens, the counter tube discharges and through a relay releases a hammer that shatters a small flask of hydrocyanic acid.

Anyhow, I never bothered to see how the experiment ended. Did the cat survive and get out of the box, or did it die?

I will probably never know, and I don't really care.

heh.

Share this post


Link to post

I found it to be rather cliche, the Schrodinger reference. Even Futurama had an episode where they recited it down to the letter.

Share this post


Link to post
Jaxxoon R said:

I found it to be rather cliche, the Schrodinger reference. Even Futurama had an episode where they recited it down to the letter.


And yet... it's probably better than the gameplay mod in this thread.

Share this post


Link to post

Do you really have so much reputation to lose if you admitted that you actually enjoy these and similar WADs? Do you think something terrible would happen if you did a WOOO series playthrough without disclaiming every few minutes, "I am fully aware of the fact that this mapset is stupid and sucks!" It's like alcohol, except you justify your interest in stupid content with something that comes out of your mouth* instead of into your mouth**. It's healthier than alcohol though so if that's what it takes, go ahead, continue.

* constant deprecation

** liquid ethanol

Share this post


Link to post
RaphaelMode said:

Do you think something terrible would happen if you did a WOOO series playthrough without disclaiming every few minutes, "I am fully aware of the fact that this mapset is stupid and sucks!"

I did, and the only terrible thing that happened was that I did a WOOO series playthrough.

Share this post


Link to post
WOOO2.txt said:

This is a jokewad which is meant to be awful,
silly and just plain weird.

This time we have more than 32 maps of pure
unbridled crap! We have maps that will crush your
soul, maps that will make you question the world
as we know it, maps that will make you fear
pizza, maps that will challenge you and maps that
will make you think... For all the wrong
reasons!

Oh excuse me, maybe my video series was just reverso-themed where I said things but meant other things to throw those things of pure things into a pit of everlasting not-know things.

Share this post


Link to post
TheOrganGrinder said:

What I "get" is that you've cut back each of the five start levels (E*M1 and MAP01) to only those lines and sectors initially and immediately visible to the player, so that if I move or turn around or attempt to interact with the environment in any way, all I see are graphics glitches where level geometry doesn't exist.

But presenting this as a "deterioration themed," as a "gameplay mod" when there's precious little gameplay, framing it as "watch the world around you turn into a lie" when your audience knows that all that's going on is a cluster of errors... I don't know, maybe it's 2deep4me.

You can get this same effect by loading any map in Chocorenderlimits and enabling the oddly-named Sneak Mode via the F8 key, then moving around the map. You can enable that from anywhere in any map.

Share this post


Link to post

I was really hoping this would be some mod that would quite literally make the game (sprites, sounds, monsters, even levels) slowly deteriorate, fall apart and implode as you play it.

Share this post


Link to post

im the only one who though this wad would be like "oh map 01 is all techie and all map02 its now start to have a bit of techie broken and some slimes and flesh started to appear... then map03 its now a bit less techie now more slime and flesh appear around the base and some wood" and so on?...

yeah probably i was the only guy who thought that

Share this post


Link to post
The Civ said:

I was really hoping this would be some mod that would quite literally make the game (sprites, sounds, monsters, even levels) slowly deteriorate, fall apart and implode as you play it.

That would have made it worth the download. Instead, we have something that would have likely been rejected under the old IDGAMES system.

Share this post


Link to post
Z0k said:

im the only one who though this wad would be like "oh map 01 is all techie and all map02 its now start to have a bit of techie broken and some slimes and flesh started to appear... then map03 its now a bit less techie now more slime and flesh appear around the base and some wood" and so on?...

yeah probably i was the only guy who thought that


That's what I was kinda hoping for.

Doom is kinda the game where you almost feel like a space marine with severe PTSD, and given the relative lack of plot and/or logic in later maps, sometimes it feels like I'm playing as a crazy dude. I mean, you wake up on a military base, and start killing "zombies" (which may or may not be your fellow space marines and not zombies), and then you gradually descend into Hell.

Brutal Doom makes the entire concept very ambiguous...

edit: PTSD does not equal crazy, but PTSD can cause problems for people, and it is not a combat specific ailment. Also, it can severely amplify problems if someone actually is crazy (pre-existing condition). It literally stands for "Post Traumatic Stress Disorder", so it makes sense that experiencing trauma could cause unintended or harmful side effects.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×