Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Da Eediot

How To Change Respawn Sound In Multiplayer

You know how in some online Doom 2 servers where when you respawn, they have a voice that plays? Does anyone know how to do that? I need help.

I've literally never heard anything about this in my life but if you're talking about the announcer on Zandronum, that's in player options. You need more than one installed though.

Create a new Archive using Slade3 and put your custom Teleport Sound in it, i don't remember what was the name of the Teleport sound Lump though, but if i remember it starts with TELE or TFOG Or something .

This will replace the Current Respawn/Teleport sound effect with your Own.

Save it as a pk3 and put it in your skins folder (Inside Zandronum folder)

SavageCorona said:

I've literally never heard anything about this in my life but if you're talking about the announcer on Zandronum, that's in player options. You need more than one installed though.

Yeah. That kinda thing. Is there a way to do it in XWE instead of Slade?

Yes, you can do it in XWE as well. Just import the sound and do a simple rename that matches that vanilla version so it'll get replaced.

I'm not sure why people assume that XWE doesn't have basic WAD-editing capabilities. I mean yeah, the program is a piece of shit in the way that it can destroy your entire WAD but it's still a WAD editor.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

New is great .

Except these new games that have EXAGGERATED graphics, "super blur" and all this kind of shit.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Create a new Archive using Slade3 and put your custom Teleport Sound in it, i don't remember what was the name of the Teleport sound Lump though, but if i remember it starts with TELE or TFOG Or something .

This will replace the Current Respawn/Teleport sound effect with your Own.

Save it as a pk3 and put it in your skins folder (Inside Zandronum folder)

I found the name of it. It's DSTELEPT. Is it possible to make more than one sound play? So sometimes it'll be one sound, and then it'll be another. By the way, I'm using ZDaemon instead of Zandronum, although I do have Zandronum, I just don't use it for online multiplayer, only Brutal Doom.

FuzzballFox said:

For that I believe you would have to mess about with SNDINFO, you can replace a set sound by a group of random ones~
http://zdoom.org/wiki/SNDINFO
Check out the example and it could be done like that!

Thanks. I'll check that out and see if it helps.

Ugh. That's a lot of coding that doesn't make sense to me. Could you make it a little more simple?

$random misc/teleport { sound1 sound2 sound3 }
sound1   sound1_filename
sound2   sound2_filename
sound3   sound3_filename

the string that starts with "$random" will make it so "misc/teleport"(the respawn sound) plays all the sounds that are listed between the curly brackets. The lines bellow define said sounds. Sound 1 to 3 can be named anything you want, so long as it doesn't conflict with another predefined sound and also doesn't have the same name of the file you're gonna use, and sound_filename is the name of the sound file you want to use.

Example, you import "fart1.wav" and "fart2.wav" into a wad file. In the SNDINFO lump you're gonna write
"fartsound1    fart1"
"fartsound2    fart2"

Try this in a SNDINFO lump!

$random misc/teleport		{ teleport1  teleport2 }
teleport1			dstele00
teleport2			dstele01

Haven't tested if it will work but name your samples dstele00 and dstele01 ..and hopefully it will!
Edit: Aaa beaten as I was typing! XD

HorrorMovieGuy said:

the string that starts with "$random" will make it so "misc/teleport"(the respawn sound) plays all the sounds that are listed between the curly brackets. The lines bellow define said sounds. Sound 1 to 3 can be named anything you want, so long as it doesn't conflict with another predefined sound and also doesn't have the same name of the file you're gonna use, and sound_filename is the name of the sound file you want to use.

Example, you import "fart1.wav" and "fart2.wav" into a wad file. In the SNDINFO lump you're gonna write
"fartsound1    fart1"
"fartsound2    fart2"

Thanks. I'll try it out.

jdagenet said:

I'm not sure why people assume that XWE doesn't have basic WAD-editing capabilities.

It's not that, it's that it's a bad tool that should be discouraged from use.

Da Eediot said:

For some reason, it didn't work. I'm using six sounds by the way.

Send me the WAD and I'll try to fix it. Using DoomSND for non-8-bit WAV to SND conversion.

I just hope nobody will change my rank title like happened with DMGuy XD

Gustavo6046 said:

Send me the WAD and I'll try to fix it. Using DoomSND for non-8-bit WAV to SND conversion.

I just hope nobody will change my rank title like happened with DMGuy XD

Couldn't you just tell me how to do it? I don't want anyone to take credit for the WAD I'm making. I don't trust people on the internet with stuff like that.

Haha, that's funny, Why should we steal your "Not working WAD" while we can make a Working One in a few Seconds lol =P .

Upload the WAD in a uploading service like Dropbox and give me the link. Then I send you a fixed version.

DMGUY: Now that's a dumb manner of saying "no"!

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Haha, that's funny, Why should we steal your "Not working WAD" while we can make a Working One in a few Seconds lol =P .

You have a point. Though I'm not sure if that was intended as an insult. Regardless, I'd want to work on this WAD by myself. Could any of you make a video tutorial?

It's pretty simple, could you provide an errorlog or something ?, What does it say when you run the game ? So we can find exactly why isn't it working .

DMGUYDZ64 said:

It's pretty simple, could you provide an errorlog or something ?, What does it say when you run the game ? So we can find exactly why isn't it working .

The sound just doesn't play. I blew myself up to test if the respawn sound worked, and nothing played.

Da Eediot said:

I already made a SNDINFO and entered all the information and the sounds still didn't play.

It can be due to One of the following reasons :
* You wrote something in a wrong way in SNDINFO .
* Your sounds aren't yet used (Doesn't replace an existing sound, or Not used by DECORATE Or an ACS.Script )
Like i and anyone else said here, we cannot help you without providing at least an example wad with less data than what you're working on .

Da Eediot said:

The sound just doesn't play. I blew myself up to test if the respawn sound worked, and nothing played.

Run your WAD and Open console and Scroll up (Press PgUp/PageUp) and see if anything related to SNDINFO Popped up and take a screenshot for the error and Post it here.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

* Your sounds aren't yet used (Doesn't replace an existing sound, or Not used by DECORATE Or an ACS.Script )
Like i and anyone else said here, we cannot help you without providing at least an example wad with less data than what you're working on .
Run your WAD and Open console and Scroll up (Press PgUp/PageUp) and see if anything related to SNDINFO Popped up and take a screenshot for the error and Post it here.

The respawn sound doesn't match anything in the Doom 2 WAD. I figure it didn't matter because that guy talked about using a fart sound and just using it's normal name. I'll check the console to see what's wrong.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Wait, what console? Is this on Zandronum? I use ZDaemon for online multiplayer and Doomsday to test my WADs on singleplayer.