Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
mawcor624

Oldschool COOP?

Recommended Posts

So I recall when playing Doom back in the day, you essentially both had to complete the level without dying.

With ZDoom, I'm not seeing an option to prevent respawning until the next level when a player dies. I know Skulltag used to have a "survival" mode, but I don't want to use Skulltag.

Is there any option in regular ZDoom to go back to oldschool coop where a player didn't respawn until the next level and you would have to start the level from the beginning if you both die?

Share this post


Link to post

Can't you just set it to survival mode with 1 life or something along those lines?

Share this post


Link to post
mawcor624 said:

So I recall when playing Doom back in the day, you essentially both had to complete the level without dying.

Nope. Not a thing Doom ever had. You could always respawn with the only cost being your inventory.

Share this post


Link to post
mawcor624 said:

Is there any option in regular ZDoom to go back to oldschool coop where a player didn't respawn until the next level and you would have to start the level from the beginning if you both die?


That is not oldschool coop. In standard cooperative, if you get killed you can respawn. If all players die, they can just respawn without restarting the level. When I beat the entirety of Doom on Coop with a friend, we just respawned. Since mutliplayer mode may add more monsters, there might be a cyberdemon in a very impossible spot with no real ammo around killing players left and right, sometimes the moment they spawn.

The closest thing you are talking about however is speedrunning coop demos (COMPET-N), which by general rule you cannot respawn if a player dies.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm hopeful that future wads will eventually start implementing coop settings in a way that's better functional towards standard vanilla doom coop rather than the user-created "Survival Cooperative" game mode.

Sure being able to respawn all the time makes it easy, so shouldnt mappers take that as a motivation to make multiplayer settings as ferocious and unfairly hard as possible?

Share this post


Link to post
40oz said:

Sure being able to respawn all the time makes it easy, so shouldnt mappers take that as a motivation to make multiplayer settings as ferocious and unfairly hard as possible?


Hi, I'm Dario Casali and I approve this message (y).

Share this post


Link to post

The biggest issue with getting oldschool coop experience these days for me is I can't seem to disable the damn friendly fire option in Zdaemon. When you can't hurt your coop partner by accident, a big part of the strategic / challenging aspect is lost. I suppose it was disabled to avoid coop raping trolls on public servers, but it does not seem possible to turn that option off anymore even on private servers, which is a huge gameplay difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Andy Johnsen said:

The biggest issue with getting oldschool coop experience these days for me is I can't seem to disable the damn friendly fire option in Zdaemon. When you can't hurt your coop partner by accident, a big part of the strategic / challenging aspect is lost. I suppose it was disabled to avoid coop raping trolls on public servers, but it does not seem possible to turn that option off anymore even on private servers, which is a huge gameplay difference.

Just looked at the Zdaemon forums, and it seems they removed the option entirely.
(Referring to a thread from 2011, though.) So like, you can't change it even in private servers. That's really, really dumb, but it is what it is. Zandronum or Odamex should make a fine replacement for private servers, though.

Share this post


Link to post

I like friendly fire in coop, sometimes an accident turns into a full fledged deathmatch for a minute until everyone just calms down.

Also sometimes when I played with a friend there would be a chance that we just get stuck and cannot escape, so if one of us has enough rockets we just do a respawn.

Share this post


Link to post
scifista42 said:

^ Hmm. I'd say that... No, they shouldn't?


Why?

Share this post


Link to post

Start a Survival server for Zandronum with your own server settings, You can Set Max Lives, Disallow Freelook, Crouch and Jumping aswell as OpenGL Light enhancements and Enable (Kill all Monsters before exiting) dmflag .

Share this post


Link to post
Doomkid said:

Just looked at the Zdaemon forums, and it seems they removed the option entirely.
(Referring to a thread from 2011, though.)

This thread is from 2014 and it suggests that the option is forcedly disabled on public servers (because ZDaemon staff received many complaints about trolls ruining game of their allies), but you can enable it if you make your server private and password-protected.

Share this post


Link to post

Huh, I guess my memory is faulty regarding the old days; maybe we just didn't respawn with the honor system.

In that case, yeah, I would say the user created survival mode is far superior to regular coop. I just recall disliking some of the extra skulltag stuff, like a floating plush toy skin that could be added as a random bot. Took me out of the Doom mood and felt like I was playing a high school joke project.

Share this post


Link to post
scifista42 said:

This thread is from 2014 and it suggests that the option is forcedly disabled on public servers (because ZDaemon staff received many complaints about trolls ruining game of their allies), but you can enable it if you make your server private and password-protected.



Last I tested this, I could not get it to work, passwords or not. I'm not entirely sure this works anymore at all, unless I'm screwing up something.

Share this post


Link to post

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
×