Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dg93

I'm stumped on this map

I'm running out of ideas.... I have this huge map that I've been working on for quite a few months, but I have no idea what I should do with it.

Do you guys want another typical Miano FFA map or should I try something different for once such as an Invasion map for Zandronum?

You can test it out (deathmatch) with bots. Also, any feedback and suggestions on my map is appreciated. It has some missing textures and the east side of the map is still under construction: http://www.mediafire.com/download/peb7x8osd2n2s8z/Miano_map01.wad

Midi is from Mr. Chris's (Glaice) WAD called Santo's House.

This map is large enough to warrant being turned into survival or co-op, in my opinion anyway!

I'd like to see a well-built map intended specifically for coop, so my vote would be for that. Then, I'd like to play it with you since we never got that chess match in, lol.

As for specific stuff on the map; I'll check it out later tonight.

@Fonze Hm, like with every player starting in their own area and working their way to one goal, with slight interconnection between it all?

Thatd be a pretty cool idea Jaxxoon and might be possible with more than 2 players. What I was thinking of was more like the way stuff like Gears of War does coop, with players starting together but splitting up at times, but the more I think about it, the less I think itd be a good idea unless stretched out over multiple maps because of the combination of split paths and respawning; cant have anything lock behind a player or risk a map-breaking encounter. Stuff like that.

What you said sounds like itd be a bit more fitting for a single map and I totally agree that the paths should be interconnected somehow. Maybe through some triggers that affect another path (maybe some for progression, as is typical, and maybe some to force monsters to the other side, so the faster player gets it easy to encourage a bit of competition or something, heh). Could even be a few puzzle elements requiring some small degree of cooperation.

So after playtesting the map with Doomkid and a couple of others via Odamex, we have determined that it's not suitable for FFA due to the enormous layout. Instead, we will make this into an Invasion/Co-op map.

Doomkid is going to work on a dehacked or decorate file with new monsters, weapons, etc... After he is finished making that, we will edit the map more, re-balance items/weapons, and overall pretty it up with some new textures.

@Fonze, feel free to join us at Quakenet IRC channel #dmstuff and we can playtest on the Westside Connection Testing Server via Odamex :) It's a shame we never got to play the Doom Battle Chess. I haven't seen geo active on the forums since September. I don't think he released any public betas yet. I hope he is ok.