Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
antares031

Ludicrium (on idgames) "So I tried to create some slaughter maps"

I usually don't want to make slaughter maps, because they're the least favorite level design for me. But I decided to create some slaughter maps anyway so I can practice it. So here's a small wad that contains some slaughter maps. Not every levels are slaughter maps, but they're pretty difficult to beat......maybe?

Please keep in mind that I usually do not make(or play) slaughter maps, and this is just experimental one. And since I am suck at designing this kind of levels, you need to run it with ZDoom. I tested it with other ports such as PrBoom, but It has some critical glitches that I couldn't fix, although the levels are designed under vanilla doom level design method, including DeHackEd patch.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Download link(idgames) : Click Here

In conclusion, I'll never make slaughter maps again. I promise.

This wad

Tarnsman said:

is like a bad parody of what people who hate slaughter maps think slaughter maps are.

Last screenshot, heh. I dig the texturing in the second one, though.

Edit: you sly dog. You wonderful person.

antares031 said:

In conclusion, I'll never make slaughter maps again. I promise.

Wise decision. A shame it occured after this "experiment", not before it.

Awesome wad, I liked the gimmicks. Is it yours the voice of the marine in the last level?

gaspe said:

Is it yours the voice of the marine in the last level?

The voice of angry marine was came from the north korean soldier from Crysis.

Anyway, thanks for the positive comments, everyone. :) I'll write my original intentions of these levels later.

Please more slaughter maps! (just don't count in lots of cyberdemons, but Russian Overkill weapons :D )

Again, thanks for the replies, everyone. I guess this wad worked out fine than I thought. So here's my original intention while I was designing these levels.

Spoiler

MAP01: As I mentioned at another threads, I'm not a big fan of levels that heavily relies on monster infighting. Of course the infighting itself is an interesting system in Doom and I do like to see some infightings during a small assault because it is fun to watch sometimes. But if the level becomes an monster infighting simulator, i.e. the majority of monsters in the level will be killed by fellow monsters, that's not a combat I want to see during the game. You check the amount of monsters via automap of ZDoom and see thousands of monsters. But it's okay to you anyway since the monsters will do the work for you. :D

MAP02: This is actually not a slaughtermap, but this level features one of the least favorite level designs to me in slaughtermap; spawning numerous arch-viles at once (the example of this kind that I'll never forget is MAP11 of Sunder where tens of arch-viles just pop-up from the ground). Once you passed a catwalk with some arch-viles, you'll encounter a platoon of arch-viles; unconsciously saying "Aww, ****" yourself. But there's a twist to fight back these angry martians. I hope this one gave you a laugh.

MAP03: This is the gimmick I've always wanted to demonstrate, an useless cyberdemon. Although there's a hundred rocket-shooting bosses, you will witness the greatness of freefall(well, sort of) if you press the button. Just clear the half of arena with BFG asap since there's a moment that these cyberdemons fight back to you. And yes, sometimes the spider mastermind is more threatening than cyberdemons.

MAP04: I was wondering what if there's a slaughtermap without any infightings. Yes, this is completly opposite to monster infighting simulator. You can't occur any infightings in here since these imps and demons are so nice that they will never fight back. Somehow, blowing tens of imps with a single rocket shot gave me a satisfaction first. So I made them "no obstacle" in order to maximize the density of monsters, and reduce their mass to blow them into the sky with a rocket blast. In the end, you will beat every thousands of monsters by yourself, unlike other conventional slaughtermaps. But keep in mind that arch-viles can resurrect the corpses.

MAP05: This level features one the best ways to multiply the amount of monsters in the level; pain elemental. Just create a room with ten pain elementals and see what happens in a minute (with a source port that excludes the limitation of lost soul spawning). But instead of spitting lost souls, what if the pain elemetals are spitting themselves? And if you kill it, you will get another three extra pain elementals, YAY! Eventually, you'll "kill" tens of thousands pain elemantals, and your computer can't handle this mess and close this level by itself.

MAP06: The combination of themes from MAP01, MAP04. Do you want to "kill" thousands of monsters without coating a blood to your hand? Well then, you're lucky this time since there's an angry north korean space marine to help you out. Nevermind the fact that your buddy is slaughtering thousands of innocent spectators because there are spectre-viles to revive them. Just circle-strafe around your buddy, and he will do your job.