Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
frithiof

Fried chicken ideas?

So I guess I've been obsessing a little more than usual about food lately, since the budget has been getting small...

Anyhow, earlier I was looking up fried chicken recipes, and I found something interesting on wikipedia for the KFC Original Recipe:

It is well attested that Harland Sanders asked Bill Summers of Marion-Kay Spices in Brownstown, Indiana, US to recreate his secret blend of 11 herbs and spices.[19] While alive, Sanders recommended the Marion-Kay seasoning to franchisees over the corporate version, as he believed the latter had been made inferior by its owners.[19] In 1982, after Sanders' death, KFC brought a lawsuit against Marion-Kay and the latter was barred from selling its mixture to KFC franchises.[19] The Marion-Kay seasoning is still sold under the name "99-X," and according to Sanders biographer Josh Ozersky, it is indistinguishable from the original KFC recipe.[19]

Interestingly, it is possible to buy this "99-X". You can find it here.

Has anyone tried this, or is it just marketing disguised as "fact" on wikipedia?

edit: Apparently the Chicken Seasoning Plus variant has salt included, so all you would need is the flour, milk and eggs* (and whatever you are going to fry the chicken in). The CSP comes in significantly smaller quantities than 99-X, though, so it might be more cost effective to get 99-X and add your own salt.

* Also, I've discovered that instead of using fresh eggs and milk, powdered eggs and milk powder were mixed in directly with the flour and spices, and just enough water was added to allow employees to coat the pieces of chicken by hand. And it seems that "Extra Crispy" is made by coating and frying the chicken once, then coating and frying it a second time. And I think lard or crisco (if you are of the vegetarian sort) is recommended due to the fact that oil doesn't really "firm up" after being cooled, but shortening does become solid again at room temperature after cooling.

I'm so bored...

Couldn't you have added this to your other thread?

And damn it, you've made me hungry...

Here is A Guide to Cutting Up Chicken, KFC-style, more or less.

I probably shouldn't be bumping my own thread, but this could be useful information for some of you.

I think when I have a little bit more money I will be investing it mostly on chicken. And potatoes. What could possibly be better than food that is literally soaked in and cooked with fat?

I don't really plan on living past the age of 50.

Kontra Kommando said:

http://i.imgur.com/ZFjotJ1m.jpg
I would like to make my own homemade double down.

Well, you sort-of can do that... but it would probably be more fun to make something like a chicken cordon blue, stuff it with bacon and cheese, spice it up with 99-X, and then deep fry it in lard. Honestly, a one pound double down/cordon blue... that could be delicious.

:)

edit: You could probably even stuff some hashed potatoes in there, too, to make it even more decadent. After a certain point, I have to wonder if it would even be safe to eat. :)

edit2: It's not entirely unlike how the Egg McMuffin is essentially a portable version of Eggs Benedict. Classy, yet not classy at the same time.

I've been making my own fried chicks for years. Less ingredients Tha this recipie and no doubt much cheaper. At work now but will post recipe later. All you need is flour, egg, water, pepper, paprika and a few other things, none of this KFC p90x or whatever they call it.

One of pubs near to my university is selling a boneless fried chicken seasoned with curry powder. Not just sprinkle the curry on the chicken after it was fried, but they mixed the curry powder with batter. Since I do love both fried chicken and curry, this dish easily became one of my favorite dishes.

antares031 said:

One of pubs near to my university is selling a boneless fried chicken seasoned with curry powder. Not just sprinkle the curry on the chicken after it was fried, but they mixed the curry powder with batter. Since I do love both fried chicken and curry, this dish easily became one of my favorite dishes.

Tell me more about this place...

pritch said:

Tell me more about this place...

They also put some black sesame to make it even savorier and tastier. And according to the official website, they use Gamasot(가마솥:the korean traditional cooking pot to cook rice) to fry the chicken instead of conventional electric fryer. Other than these, it's similar to any other pubs selling fried chicken and beer in Seoul.

This is my recipe that I've been tweaking:

De-bone chicken thighs and leave the skin on.
one bowl of flour, paprika, steak spice
one bowl with beaten egg
one bowl of panko bread crumbs
Pan with heated vegetable oil filled halfway

Dip de-boned thigh in flour mixture, then beaten egg, and lastly bread crumbs.
Place chicken into heated oil, fry each side for 8 minutes.

Eat as-is or serve with your favorite dipping sauce.