Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
raymoohawk

bad raymoo stuff

so ive been looking trough the stuff i have submitted to the project and i am regretting some of my design desicions, do yall think these should be changed into a something else?

also the finals are over! (and i may or may not have failed 2 classes) so i can start spriting again

I for one like them. They're very unique and add a great deal of variety and detail compared to Vanilla Doom.

Though I do think having the "torches" in front facing angles might fare a tad better, but that's entirely up for debate

Though I do think the armor themselves seem a tad awkward. I don't exactly think armour would have flashing red lights on them. It would be silly if you look at it from a combat standpoint. And for some reason, the red armor somehow reminds me of M. Bison (Vega for the rest of you out there in the world.) I kinda like it honestly.

I don't want to sound like a turd, but as far as the green armor is concerned, I would like to know what those little straps on the bottom of it are supposed to be for.

That's been bugging me for a long time.

I like the alien torches, and the lamp. The red armor sorta looks a little odd, though. I can't quite put my finger on what exactly the issue is, but...

The torches need to be much darker so they aren't mistaken for enemies. They are fullbright and the glowing light needs to be what stands out.

@ssomaridx

my concern with the torches is that they may look weird rotating towards the player because of their irregular shape

@frithiof

i have no clue what the straps are for either XD

@stuba

youre right, but do you think those sprites are worth editing? or ahould i just do a new sprite that looks more like a torch?

Voltcom9 said:

If I were to change them however I would make the torches all a same uniform design as opposed to monster statues. So each one would look like a torch instead of varying types of statues.

This probably sounds lazy, but maybe you could make the torches be something like long, clear tubes, with colored, radiant liquid in them. Maybe add bubbles, and/or some kind of etching on the tubes. Maybe stick a brain in there as well, to make it look like it serves some vague purpose aside from just lighting up the surrounding area.

I like the ones that currently exist, but if the people want them changed, I think something of a significantly simpler nature would probably work best.

Given what the others have said, I suggest removing the straps on the green armor and making the torches more regular looking instead of being statues.

Then again, I don't have a problem with them being statues, either. As Scuba Steve suggested, darken the statues. If you decide to keep them, that is.

i am going to redo them as normal torches (if someone wants to try and redo them dont feel shy), but each one will have a slightly different design, like the small torches i made

Personally I like all of them. I don't think there's a need to redo the torches. Heretic and Hexen have plenty of decorations that with irregular shapes, like statues and braziers, and there's absolutely no problem with that. You can may the statues a bit darker indeed, but they are sufficiently different from actual enemies, so I think they're unlikely to confuse the player.

MrFlibble said:

Personally I like all of them. I don't think there's a need to redo the torches. Heretic and Hexen have plenty of decorations that with irregular shapes, like statues and braziers, and there's absolutely no problem with that. You can may the statues a bit darker indeed, but they are sufficiently different from actual enemies, so I think they're unlikely to confuse the player.

Well, they are currently different from actual enemies... but one resembles the new imp, and the other two resemble two future monsters that are in the works.

The green and blue flames look kind of "meh" and I'm not a big fan of the resized Blasphemer torch incorporated in the one sprite. Otherwise it all looks good to me.

frithiof said:

Well, they are currently different from actual enemies... but one resembles the new imp, and the other two resemble two future monsters that are in the works.

I did not mean their shape in respect of the new monsters they are supposed to portray. I mean that these torches look unmistakably like statues and not monsters.

I think that this whole concern about the player possibly getting confused with fancy decorations is slightly exaggerated. In fact, the player does not have to immediately distinguish between a monster and a decorative object. Have you never had this situation when you stumbled upon something you thought was a monster in a FPS, only to realise seconds later that this was just a harmless static sprite? That's one of the staples of the horror genre, which is not entirely alien to the Doom games.

This only may become problematic if some decoration resembles an enemy so much that the player consistently mistakes one for another. However, this is not the case with raymoohawk's sprites under discussion. None of them is actually overly similar to any animation frames of the respective monsters.

ETTiNGRiNDER said:

The green and blue flames look kind of "meh" and I'm not a big fan of the resized Blasphemer torch incorporated in the one sprite. Otherwise it all looks good to me.

I think the blue flame is OK, the green one could use some editing.

What's wrong with the brazier? I think it is very tasteful, and generally the serpentipede torch seems to be the best one of out of the three to me.

i was thinking of only keeping the blasphemer bit on the new versions actually XD

in any case i am focusing on the monster spriting right now, but i do plan on revisitng this sprites if no one makes a better version

About the armour, I like your pieces, however Mechadon's armour sprites from the Vela Pax project made me think that the "colour-coded" design could be avoided altogether. I never really liked how Freedoom changed the 200% armour from blue to red. It seems like a superficial change that does not really add anything to the game expect of being an attempt not to be like Doom in all aspects.

Mechadon used different visuals for his sprites in addition to colour:

The 200% armour has shoulder pads, suggesting greater coverage of the body and hence, greater protection. In fact, many of the more recent FPS games use the same approach, with armour pickups visually reflecting the amount of protection they offer. In this respect, colour-coding is a relic of the earlier arcade era which still carried over into Doom.

Now, the Freedoom player sprite has very pronounced, metal shoulder pads in addition to the green body suit. What if 100% armour is the green body suit without the pads, and the 200% one the body suit with grey pads? That would certainly more original than the green vs. red or any other colours.

Color coding is useful for telling what an item is for a distance, however, especially at distances where it's just an armor-shaped blob.

If the shapes are different, there shouldn't be much of a problem, especially if the 200% armour has large shoulder pads similar to the player sprite.

Sure thing raymoohawk.

Vela Pax Sprites

There's the armors, health bonuses, and key sprites. All are from-scratch work by me, made for Vela Pax.

Note that they were made to have reasonable likenesses to the vanilla sprites. You guys can use these however you see fit.

I have some old sprites I made for Supplice too, but I'll have to ponder releasing that stuff yet :P

thanks mechadon, those keycards are really good, i think they should be added along with the armour. can someone recolor the megarmor to red?

fabian said:

Nice work! The keycards look strange, though, do they have "eyes"?

Maybe they are biometric identification devices?