Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Cacowards 2016 Nomination Thread

a nomination thread this soon?

oh well, I nominate Doom: The Golden Souls 2 if (and only IF) it gets released next year

HavoX said:

if (and only IF) it gets released next year

Now it would be funny if it got released till the end of this year.

vinnie245 said:

Threshold of Pain 2, it's gotta be done by next year right? ;P

I'm gunning for a Mordeth award :P

I would like to nominate Sergeant Mark's Megawad, the 32 map dedicated to Brutal Doom v2b. Take whatever stance you want on the man and his mods but his megawad has some impressive scripts, ideas and detailed levels that deserves recognition from the doom community.

Chezza said:

I would like to nominate Sergeant Mark's Megawad, the 32 map dedicated to Brutal Doom v2b. Take whatever stance you want on the man and his mods but his megawad has some impressive scripts, ideas and detailed levels that deserves recognition from the doom community.

Its ambition is inversely proportional to its quality.

Chezza said:

rf` said:

Its ambition is inversely proportional to its quality.

I personally wouldn't want to have the Starter Pack being nominated for the Cacowards. The project is not finished, it's just a rushed "demo" of Extermination Day with edited FreeDoom maps stuffed on it, and many of it's assets and maps will not make up to the final product, so I would prefer not having my work being judged by an incomplete sample.

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

I personally wouldn't want to have the Starter Pack being nominated for the Cacowards. The project is not finished, it's just a rushed "demo" of Extermination Day with edited FreeDoom maps stuffed on it, and many of it's assets and maps will not make up to the final product, so I would prefer not having my work being judged by an incomplete sample.

FWIW I think that it's still worth mentioning despite its "flawed" nature. Not only it's an organic companion for the mod and, on top of that, a logical conclusion of your previous "realistic" works (city maps are pretty darn impressive if you ask me, even though some of them are quite familiar, heh), but I dare to say that it does better job of being modern NeoDoom (that's a compliment) than Final NeoDoom, even at its current state. Never cared for mods in general, but when they come with a supplement of maps - that's something I admire ever since Zen Dynamics.
Anyhow, knowing that it's going to be even better is very cool, so devilspeed!

AuraofApathy said:

H-D00M. Hands down, best mod.

I totally agree but at least let's wait until it gets finished.

AuraofApathy said:

H-D00M. Hands down, best mod.

Please raise hands from under the table again, thank you!

I have to agree with Mark saying the Starter Pack shouldn't be nominated this year (and I appreciate his humbleness, too).
I finished it a couple weeks ago, and although I enjoyed it, there are, indeed, many flaws in the Starter Pack that make it unworthy of nomination. (I'll list them in the appropriate thread another time.)

John Romero's map. He's gotta get some sort of an award just for making a map. Maybe the Best Comeback award or something.

SFoZ911 said:

John Romero's map. He's gotta get some sort of an award just for making a map. Maybe the Best Comeback award or something.

Most Promising Newcomer.

SFoZ911 said:

Let's not try kiss too much arse. I'm all for a unique award to give him recognition but I don't want his single map taking an award away from another mapper unless it's totally justified / fairly compared.

Chezza said:

Let's not try kiss too much arse. I'm all for a unique award to give him recognition but I don't want his single map taking an award away from another mapper unless it's totally justified / fairly compared.

I was talking about a special kind of an award. Please read properly before posting.

Stardate 20X7 and Bloodstain are IMHO well deserving of a mention here. While the former is still in beta stage, it's everything you'd expect from a modern, polished Ribbiks mapset. Gorgeous vistas, surreal alien structures, killer and clever gameplay, well-designed compact layouts, it has it all :)
The latter is a solid one-man megawad from one of Plutonia 2's less known mappers. Bloodstain's first episode may seem a bit simplistic, but the wad gets a lot better by the end of E2 and up to the very end. Maps 25, 29 and 30 left a strong impression on me, and overall this is a fun and great set that deserves more attention. You may wanna consider skipping map 31, though.