Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Cacowards 2016 Nomination Thread

If the floor is open to nominations, I would like to nominate Echelon. I found this one today and it's a reimagining and retelling of the doom 2 story line. https://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/91053-new-megawad-echelon/ It's not the most ambitious project, but it's nice to see a story driven map set for a change. The majority of the levels are smaller with less than a hundred monsters in many cases. Despite this the map set carries a diverse set of level designs. It also manages to remain challenging at times without reverting to the cheap tricks or over the top monster spam we are all used to. It's well worth a look if you want to kill an afternoon.

Going to nominate Ed's Warp House, easily the most fun I've had with a single-map release this year. The visuals are super beautiful and unique yet it only uses stock textures and the gameplay is super well balanced to boot. Quite an impressive level that deserves recognition.

Gonna nominate Mark's Brutal Doom 64. Great update to the original with more features and eye candy while maintaining the dark atmosphere.

Doomkid said:

Going to nominate Ed's Warp House, easily the most fun I've had with a single-map release this year. The visuals are super beautiful and unique yet it only uses stock textures and the gameplay is super well balanced to boot. Quite an impressive level that deserves recognition.

I need to add nothing to this except:

+1 nomination. Amazing map!

rileymartin said:

Gonna nominate Mark's Brutal Doom 64. Great update to the original with more features and eye candy while maintaining the dark atmosphere.

I'll also +1 just to establish that it's not even only BD fans who think the mod is probably good enough to take the "gameplay mod" category; if the original BD, which in my view is more controversial and less balanced than this was, could win in 2011, this should stand a pretty good chance on its own merits. This is all given what I've seen of it from Dime's stream, and from video reviews.

rileymartin said:

I will also +1 this, due to the things Quasar and rileymartin stated. I will also add that it succeds being a balanced gameplay mod while at the same time being a great mappack. But I can't nominate it for two categories, can I?

The mockaward has been kind of close this year, but thankfully Run For It! has made everything easier by stepping in and running away with the prize.

Zapzop said:

I will also +1 this, due to the things Quasar and rileymartin stated. I will also add that it succeds being a balanced gameplay mod while at the same time being a great mappack. But I can't nominate it for two categories, can I?

Well out of the two it will have to be a gameplay mod since with the exception of a few minor changes these maps were made back in 1997

I nominate Toilet of the Gods for TOP 10 wads of the year.. Amazing pack of maps with some crazy difficulty.

I would bring back worst wad... but there needs to be a reason. It can't just be a "bad project" there needs to be something truly awful to highlight. I personally enjoyed writing about Aeons of Death and the Tormentor detail guide. I don't know if there is anything truly THAT awful this year.

I would like to nominate D4D for this year's gameplay mod. The work on it is astounding, and beautifully recreates much of Doom 4's features in (G)ZDoom. The sprite work and coding done on it is jawdropping, and I believe is helping to pave the way for the upcoming ZScript.

Scuba Steve said:

I would bring back worst wad... but there needs to be a reason. It can't just be a "bad project" there needs to be something truly awful to highlight. I personally enjoyed writing about Aeons of Death and the Tormentor detail guide. I don't know if there is anything truly THAT awful this year.

If there was a mod that truly deserved a worst wad award, it would be Classic Rivalry, but that was years ago.

I've been knee deep in Brutal Doom 64 and am putting in my vote for whichever category it's eligible for.

Gothic said:

If there was a mod that truly deserved a worst wad award, it would be Classic Rivalry, but that was years ago.

I believe this mod would fit in the category, it's pure racism and pure spite.

I nominate:
1. IMPatience, and yes, I still remember the damn thing.
2. T 3 S T by Topi Hattukangas. I didn't have the time to play that new megawad of his, but I'm sure that it's good too.
3. John Romero's 2 maps.
4. Foursite by Bauul.

-------
I can nominate more WADs later, right?

Is Blade of Agony out already with people playing through all the maps or just nominating based on trailers and hype?

rileymartin said:

Is Blade of Agony out already with people playing through all the maps or just nominating based on trailers and hype?

I played for 45 minutes this morning. I did not complete it, but in just that time it has earned it's stripes several times over.