Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mjf6866

updated list of good wads that work with brutal doom

hello all,

can anyone suggest some of the better custom wads that work with brutal doom? I found a list from a few years back and played through them already. looking for more! :)

thank you

-Matt

mjf6866 said:

hello all,

can anyone suggest some of the better custom wads that work with brutal doom? I found a list from a few years back and played through them already. looking for more! :)

thank you

-Matt

Most of vanilla\boom-format map works fine with it.
Also ambient and music packs.

scifista42 said:

Generally, all wads without their own gameplay modifications should work alright with gameplay mods.

Not all. Slaughter maps were more than thousand monsters are non-playable on brutal too. Also maps with large amount of details in the same list.

thanks everyone!

and i saw it was moved to this forum...i apologize to the mods :) i didnt even see this sub forum!

another thing i should mention...i dont like the wads that alter the game too much like with scifi stuff...i enjoy satanic style doom maps lol

On 12/11/2015 at 6:36 AM, mjf6866 said:

thanks everyone!

and i saw it was moved to this forum...i apologize to the mods :) i didnt even see this sub forum!

another thing i should mention...i dont like the wads that alter the game too much like with scifi stuff...i enjoy satanic style doom maps lol

**EDIT** Here is a 9 level Brutal Doom Wad for vs 2.0b https://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/addons/operation-uac#comments

Someday I will complete my Megawad specifically designed for Brutal Doom (only v19 at this point) so I can't recommend mine just yet. Also majority of the complete maps are tech based with a couple cave levels, the Hell maps are for the later stages. But threads like this always excites me as I'm sure I will eventually create a wad a particular group of Doomers will love!

Edited by Chezza

This is why Brutal Doom is a pet Peve of mine. Just try playing a megawad without the fancy gameplay mods before playing it in Brutal!

BaronOfStuff said:

D!Zone. A WAD collection of equal quality and reputation to BD. Have fun.

I second this. Also Plutonia.wad is extremely fun to play in BD. A classic revived.

Breezeep said:

This is why Brutal Doom is a pet Peve of mine. Just try playing a megawad without the fancy gameplay mods before playing it in Brutal!

eh. people will play Doom the way they want to. it's only annoying when people request BD-compatibility with everything - and even that trend seems to have died out somewhat now.

Do they have to still be good after said mod is implemented?

BaronOfStuff said:

D!Zone. A WAD collection of equal quality and reputation to BD. Have fun.

Also try Maximum Doom for top teir Brutal Doom maps!

-

As long as the wad has no core gameplay changes (new guns, enemies ect) then it will work just fine.

Azuruish said:

Not all. Slaughter maps were more than thousand monsters are non-playable on brutal too. Also maps with large amount of details in the same list.

That's not a matter of compatibility though, but a matter of how much skilled the player is and how much powerful his computer is, to handle the game easily and smoothly enough. Out of principle, such maps can work in BD.

TheMionicDonut said:

Do they have to still be good after said mod is implemented?

Well by good I guess to be of some sort of quality. Not total amateur maps full of mapping sins or real boring incomplete wads or any troll ones.

Maps of Chaos, particularly the Overkill offshoot of it. Check my ModDB page for details.

scifista42 said:

That's not a matter of compatibility though, but a matter of how much skilled the player is and how much powerful his computer is, to handle the game easily and smoothly enough. Out of principle, such maps can work in BD.

I'm able to play nuts.wad with Brutal Doom with no lag whatsoever. Go me.

Maybe Sunlust?

I spotted it on the Cacowards page, and it seems that whoever made it went to a lot of trouble to make sure the original monsters and weapons are there.

Literally everything I've made is. Well, except the stuff that isn't, but never you mind that!

frithiof said:

Maybe Sunlust?

I spotted it on the Cacowards page, and it seems that whoever made it went to a lot of trouble to make sure the original monsters and weapons are there.

That's not how it works at all.

B***** doom + sunlust is like using the shroud of Turin as a napkin.

Brutal Doom + Scythe2 or Speed of Doom is good experience. Especially if in Scythe2 one Afrit's shot kills you immediately.
Sunlust with mod didn't tried yet but i doubt in possibility finishing maps like 24 and 30 if there are FPS lagging on ZDoom.

TheMionicDonut said:

That's not how it works at all.

B***** doom + sunlust is like using the shroud of Turin as a napkin.

I think using B***** Doom + Sunlust is a lot like making a meal out of filet mignon, thick cut french fries, foie gras, caviar, long pig, perfectly aged bleu cheese, and possibly a glass of 2003 Domaine Louis Chave Ermitage Cuveé Cathelin.

I recently played through No Rest for the Living with Brutal DOOM. It was great until the last level, because you're obviously supposed to fight your way out with the rocket launcher (you get a rocket launcher at the beginning, and there's rocket ammo all over the floor), and Brutal DOOM nerfs the rocket launcher to the point of uselessness.

What's with everyone suggesting slaughter maps? It looks to me like Brutal DOOM is balanced for Id's maps, so maps that use monsters in roughly the same way should work best for it.

How about Requiem?

Slaughter maps works really bad with Brutal Doom. FPS lagging is really high. I tried Deus Vult and it works only within 640x480 resolution and only first map.
I tested a few SL wads and it works well:
ngmvmt1
sf2011
sf2012
Cchest1,2,3,4
Chillax

But again... Not all maps.