Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

What do you want in the Collector's Edition?

So Wolfenstein: The New Order had a really awesome collector's edition, with that neat box, amazing Panzerhund replica and other goodies. Now that you can preorder the game this got me thinking. What about the Collector's Edition?

A high quality replica of the Doomguy.

Official soundtrack

Manual containing lore and interesting descriptions (that you can't find elsewhere)

A Revenant replica. Let's face it, the new Revenant is really cool and is the
posterboy of the game.

Making of the game DVD

Signed copy of the game

Original game included complete with a new, exclusive episode.

What about you guys?

I only care about the game, everything else is a clutter for extra money. I don't even open game boxes more than once because I can just click Install on Steam or Battle.net.

It should include an elaborate manual designed as a pop-out book with memorable scenes of the game ;) And another Doom comic in the style of the first one, but with better art.

A set of candles, powdered chalk, goat blood, a portrait of Marty Stratton, and a handbook that functions as your guide to using said supplies to commit Satanic ritual and summon Marty Stratton into your household.

Whatever it ends up being, I hope it's good because it's officially the last time I buy a CE version of a game. The Juggernog Edition of BO3 was worth it though, especially being the first guy to walk out of GameStop with it on release night. E-Peen extended. lol. Honestly though, I'd be happy for just a T-Shirt and no extra charge for the game. Which brings me to my question...

Just curious because I was the ages of 3-13 in the 90's and therefore wasn't really buying things on my own, but could somebody older clarify something for me? I recall in the 90's that there weren't CE versions of games; you just bought the big ass box for standard retail value and they happened to throw neat stuff like posters and T-Shirts and stuff in there for no extra cost. Did they charge more for these versions or were they strictly free promotional extras? (I remember in particular my copy of Lemmings 2: The Tribes came with a companion novel that gave a story to the game. I even did a book report on it in school.)

I only ask because I'm pretty sick and tired of CEs and pre-order incentives in general. With everybody giving their money up front all the time it's no wonder the quality of games is going down the tube. If you're already getting paid why should you give a shit if you do a good job? With publishers running the show instead of developers it's not like a complete failure of a game means people lose their jobs over it, and TOS agreements pretty much mean you can't do shit to sue outright incompetence (I'm looking at you Bungievision.) which also explains why everyone is pushing for digital only sales in the near future - they're still charging full price for games online two or three years later. (Been wanting to pick up GTAV on PS4 cheap used but it goes for damn near full price even though it's a two year old remaster of a last gen game. Oughta buy it new; I respect Rockstar.)

TL;DR After Doom I'm not buying any games until after I've read dozens of reviews and then rented the damn thing to see for myself. And after GamerGate it's not like I trust the reviewers anyway, so yeah, thankfully I still have rental stores in my area.

Johnatone said:

Just curious because I was the ages of 3-13 in the 90's and therefore wasn't really buying things on my own, but could somebody older clarify something for me? I recall in the 90's that there weren't CE versions of games; you just bought the big ass box for standard retail value and they happened to throw neat stuff like posters and T-Shirts and stuff in there for no extra cost. Did they charge more for these versions or were they strictly free promotional extras? (I remember in particular my copy of Lemmings 2: The Tribes came with a companion novel that gave a story to the game. I even did a book report on it in school.)

They were promos back in day, rather than packaged extras. When I bought PSX FF7 back in the day I got a free T-shirt with Cloud on it. Now I feel old recalling that.

Diablo 2 was the first game that I know of to do a collectors edition. Each was individually numbered. Included the soundtrack cd, the DND game, and some other stuff I can't think of. Must've been back in 2000 when I bought that. Did I already mention I feel old? hahaha

I want the Collector's Edition to come with a coffee mug that resembles a hollowed out version of Romero's impaled head from the Icon of Sin boss. I can picture it now. Come home from work, sit down in my boxers and drink Jack Daniel's from the spilling brains of John Romero. Now that's art.

Guest Unregistered account
RUSH said:

Come home from work, sit down in my boxers and drink Jack Daniel's from the spilling brains of John Romero. Now that's art.

^

But actually, I think ID could supply us with detailed models of the Doom monsters to improve sprite productivity amongst the community.
Failing that, or even succeeding that, Cacodemon+Pain Elemental plushies.

More reaper miniatures, why not? Maybe a concept art book, and production notes relating to the story or design.

Fallout's soundtrack was released on vinyl, so I'd like to see that for Doom too.

CyberDemonEmpress said:

I'd like to see the Pain Elemental and Cacodemon plushies added at least....

I want to see the new cacodemon as a plushie.

RUSH said:

Come home from work, sit down in my boxers and drink Jack Daniel's from the spilling brains of John Romero. Now that's art.

You go to work in your Boxers!?

Anyways, I want a real life BFG9000 that actually shoots energy balls and is powered by dual car batteries.

wheresthebeef said:

I'd love it if the collector's edition actually included the game
I'd also like the usual inclusions of the original Doom games

We'll get that in DOOM '16: BFG Edition

:^)