Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jewellds

Potential new Freedoom logo

The outlines are well pronounced, but I'm not sure I like the red colour better than orange.

Also, does it really have to use that metallic texture? Personally I like the roundish blue font from the first concept better. Blue also goes well with orange IMO, as I said earlier.

Gonna vote for orange too.

I don't mind the brush-metal look, I think it fits in with the large red font.

This does look great; and is an improvement on wha we have now. I'd support us putting it in and changing the website a bit to match, now. But, I think we need to consider a project rename properly too, and if that happens we'll need yet another logo ;) It could be as simple as re-using this style though.

That's the beauty of Free software. You can take the assets of the game, slap a new name on it and call it whatever you want. Keeping, "Doom" in the name is a deep respect. Plus... it sounds like Freedom and that's the American way. :p (In all honesty I think the idea and notion of Freedom cements the idea of its opposition in to the collective conciousness of the status quo, but if you can't beat 'em join 'em. Freedom is pretty sweet. I am also a big fan of Richard Stallman so a game that is, "free as in libre" lights a fire in my heart. I vote to keep Doom in the title. They both help each other. ...not to mention this section of the forum. There's this game Doom that came out in 1993 that changed the course of PC history. In 1999 the source code was released and a community of people got together and made it the publics domain. The name "FreeDoom" already has a history and I think the infinity sign perfectly articulates what the project is at heart.

I haven't contributed any assets to the project so I don't expect my opinion to be taken without a grain of salt, but I think they are important things to think about.

Edit: I took a very long hiatus from doom, but I came back and thought, "I wonder how Freedoom is coming along."

Due to the renewed interest, I decided to continue work on the Freedoom logo.

This version should be a lot neater for a few reasons. I tidied up the vector considerably, redoing the letter outlines and making the letter heights more consistent. The shading's been redone, with the infamous brushed metal effect replaced with a different style gradient.

Finally, this time I exported and edited the logo at native Doom resolution, so the graphic doesn't have to be squished down before being put ingame.

Downloads: Test WAD, PNG, SVG vector

Edit: Removed some stray pixels.
Edit 2: the screenshot should be visible now.

Voros, that's certainly an interesting design concept! However, it is my understanding that one of the goals of revamping the logo is to shift away from the "Freedoom is free Doom" notion towards something more unique. The old logo pretty much spells Free Doom, with the two constituent words clearly separated, while the new one is an attempt to make Freedoom/Freed∞m appear as recognizable whole.

It's not that Voros' design isn't cool, but I'm already smitten with the infinity logo, especially since it matches the portal pads.

Jewellds said:

Due to the renewed interest, I decided to continue work on the Freedoom logo.

http://orig04.deviantart.net/f9da/f/2016/128/c/9/doom08_by_jewellds-da1rqjr.png

This version should be a lot neater for a few reasons. I tidied up the vector considerably, redoing the letter outlines and making the letter heights more consistent. The shading's been redone, with the infamous brushed metal effect replaced with a different style gradient.

Finally, this time I exported and edited the logo at native Doom resolution, so the graphic doesn't have to be squished down before being put ingame.

Downloads: Test WAD, PNG, SVG vector

Edit: Removed some stray pixels.
Edit 2: the screenshot should be visible now.

So guys, do you think the logo in its current form is ready for inclusion in the project?

Voros said:

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post,
but what if the words were on top of each other?

Here's a quick concept of what I mean.
https://z-1-scontent-sin1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/fr/cp0/e15/q65/13248587_244183099273043_3554752266393002788_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9

Only an idea. The shading is meant to help you recognize the word underneath.

Again sorry.

I like your idea. "FreeDoom" is 'kinda' too long and I think what makes FPS's to look cool are short names (like DOOM, Heretic, Hexen, Blood, Halo, Rage, Quake).

I would suggest a little change to your idea:
http://sta.sh/0x6tnrkmjbr

thing is it has to be one word to avoid trademark issues. if you split it like that it looks like it says "free, DooM"
we need to make it clear that while vanilla compatible freedoom is still it's own thing

Sodaholic said:

Yeah, if the maintainers would do something for once.

Second that, where are the maintainers?

Sorry for reviving the old thread, but just a little note, the offsets on the logo make Chocolate Doom crash, setting it to 0 fixes it, but it obviously displays in the wrong position in other ports...

YukiHerz said:

Sorry for reviving the old thread, but just a little note, the offsets on the logo make Chocolate Doom crash, setting it to 0 fixes it, but it obviously displays in the wrong position in other ports...

Fixed.

Zerthex, I have a wonderful idea.

Why don't you manage a seperate fork of Freedoom?
1-Register a Github account
2-Verify your Github account
3-Go to freedoom/freedoom
4-Fork it
5-Now you have your very own place to make your Freedoom
6-Change whatever things you want in your fork
7-Make the IWADs using Deutex
8-Upload and share.

Also, i find that design displeasing to look at. Mainly the "Free" part.

Voros said:

Zerthex, I have a wonderful idea.

Why don't you manage a seperate fork of Freedoom?
1-Register a Github account
2-Verify your Github account
3-Go to freedoom/freedoom
4-Fork it
5-Now you have your very own place to make your Freedoom
6-Change whatever things you want in your fork
7-Make the IWADs using Deutex
8-Upload and share.

Also, i find that design displeasing to look at. Mainly the "Free" part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VyqAKtDDSc

Slight bump, but I think it's appropriate.

Someone suggested by email that I make a version of the new logo for the website. I've made two versions - one which is faithful to the one ingame, and another which matches the green colour scheme used by the website.

Side by side. This is just a mockup to get an idea of what they would both look like:

The thing is, I'm not sure which one looks best. The coloured one stands out more but the green one doesn't clash as much. Which one do you think looks better?

I actually prefer the subtle version for the website.

On another note, something is wrong with the in-game version in the repo. Compare, see how the orange is degraded: