Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Soundblock

Ideas for Doom neon signs?

So I'm making a city section for this wad of mine... Kinda running out of good ideas on what the signs should say. Anyone got any fun, on theme, neat, cool, sci-fi, haunted, good or otherwise interesting ideas for what a neon sign in the Doom universe might read? It can be obvious, an easter egg from another game or what not.

And hey, if you feel like making your own neon sign texture, feel free to post it here - just know that I might end up using it for my wad, unless you specify its for a certain project only of course.

EDIT:
This post has my best sign textures so far - they're very green, but free to use.

Cool idea, I was tempted to make neon sign textures for Mutiny but I had a feeling that if they were really cool, people would use them for their non-city maps. I was just going to with some general things like "GIRLS" "XXX" "BAR" but now I've got some ideas :)

I like references to stuff so maybe:

Travel destinations ("Come visit Phobos/Deimos/TeiTenga/Downtown")
References to classic wads ("Requiem Industries," or a shotgun store called "Shells Revealed")
Map titles (a night club called "The Focus," a department store called "Tricks and Traps")
References to some of your own wads like Plasma Plant or Black Tower could be cool too.

If you're going to make signs, I just wanted to say that, at least for me, inventive puns are hundred times better than easter eggs / references to other already-existing works/media. The latter practically always feels cheap to me, while the former can be fun and/or inspiring.

the thing I'd immediately write on these signs would be the names of the major megacorps from Shadowrun, IE, Renraku, Aztechnology, Saeder-Krupp and so forth. :D or maybe try to invent my own Megacorps with reminiscent names to those.

scifista42 said:

If you're going to make signs, I just wanted to say that, at least for me, inventive puns are hundred times better than easter eggs / references to other already-existing works/media. The latter practically always feels cheap to me, while the former can be fun and/or inspiring.

What happens if you put unpaid billboard ads for well-known real products like Coca-Cola?

printz said:

What happens if you put unpaid billboard ads for well-known real products like Coca-Cola?

You'd be predicting the future.