Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
termrork

Doom Diablo Crossover

A few years ago I edited chocolate doom (or mocha doom, do not remember anymore) and made the following changes:
-Camera switchable from usual ego perspective and from an birds eye view
-In the latter the input is simply the mouse for shooting, rotating, mooving etc.

Together with a map especially for this, this already made a Diablo like feeling (cannot share code, it is lost, sorry). Sadly due to lack of time and creativity I did not implement stuff like items, inventory, skill tree and level system.

Maybe somebody with time and creativity also likes this idea and goes for it.

Of course there are already diablo doom crossovers like doom hell on mars, but sadly it does not use the doom engine. If you do, people could simply map for this mod which we all know is a huge deal for any game to make fun. Further I really liked that you can switch between diablo like feeling and doom like ego feeling (in exploring and me vs a lot of monsters I prefered to use the birds eye view and in a 1on1 combat the ego view).

Eschdoom (creator of the megawad Doom 2: Reloaded) used to have a youtube video of him playing a modified version of prBoom+ that allowed him to play maps from an orthographic perspective. I tried contacting him a while ago but got no response. I just tried looking it up but I had no luck finding the video and his website (whatisblueandfurry.com i think it was called?) is nowhere to be found. Seems like this guy is off the grid now. I really wish he would have shared it before he disappeared though because it looked super fun but I can't seem to find any information on it whatsoever.

He used to have orthographic projections of all of Doom 2 and Final Doom maps, just like the ones on Ian Alberts webpage plus all the maps from Doom 2 Reloaded as well. If you can imagine it, he had a proof of concept video of him playing Doom in the doom maps just like in those pictures, where the player was centered on the screen and the camera panned along with the player as he pointed and fired at monsters with his mouse cursor.

When I saw it, it looked like a really fun opportunity to develop a Real Time Strategy game where players can pit monsters against each other. It still bothers me that I never got to try it.

True, a strategy game would be awesome too! There are also mods for that, but sadly they are not that good in my opinion.

The screenshots you are posted are nice, but for my taste the camera is too high, mine had a roughly 45° angle.

termrork said:

The screenshots you are posted are nice, but for my taste the camera is too high, mine had a roughly 45° angle.

I agree, the projections eschdoom used were much lower too and look much better.

40oz said:

When I saw it, it looked like a really fun opportunity to develop a Real Time Strategy game where players can pit monsters against each other. It still bothers me that I never got to try it.

Hmmm... sounds like ZDoom Wars with Diablo-mod camera.

I, actually, had a dream once about a level of Doom being lengthly and lengthly and veeeery similar to Diablo II's "Jail" levels. But that was just a silly dream.

In fact, I'm looking forward to anything that is done under this initiative.