Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

Freedoom 0.10 released

After a year of development, Freedoom 0.10 has been released. There have been many changes since the last release, such as:

• New status bar
  • New sprites for the serpent and orb monster
  • Various new weapon sprites
  • Some new maps
  • New title screen
  • Curated music selection
The project is quite a bit more polished than before. Be sure to grab it at Freedoom's homepage.

Oh, thank goodness. Been watching the discussion and just hoping a version would go out. When you actually get a version out the door, that's progress. Glad to see all these new additions officially in and released. :)

Wow! Merry Hanukah to us, huh? This is a Kwanza to remember, alright.
It's kinda sad to see the snake go. It was like being at a snake fashion party. I'm gonna miss the 'snake eggs' too. There may be things to see with the size of this new serpent's brain.
E1M3 was like this old speed thrash metal, but now is a cooly droned grunge scene. And 'Wonder Worm' is back again!
Still no official story line, we're still left guessing what happened to spawn the terrors at AGM. If the opening picture is any indication, it still looks like a prisoner.

I kinda like the publicity around freedoom too. Love them or hate them, it's a throw back to those 'crufty unix guys' tooting their *nix freedom horns. Without the *nix. And you can play it on systems like Linux with your source ported Linux code.

It's by some old sceners, too, like Fraggle. I think that kind of says it all: Getting old is a Hell of a video game. Like, I think I'll just ask my parents for that Nintendo because Super Mario is so much fun.

Lots of nice new stuff in here. Well done!

But I really take issue with the skull cursor -- a skull with blinking eyes, REALLY?

The old skull cursor was silly, but surely we can come up with something original for this and not ape DOOM so strongly.

andrewj said:

But I really take issue with the skull cursor -- a skull with blinking eyes, REALLY?

The old skull cursor was silly, but surely we can come up with something original for this and not ape DOOM so strongly.

You make a good point. What about a severed pointing hand? Or a pistol? Perhaps a simple arrow?

The rocket sprite (MISLA7A3) might work. A pistol sounds good. Arrow is a bit boring but better than the current skull. A skeletal hand could look really cool but will need to be drawn very well.

Plus it doesn't *have* to be animated, e.g. for something like a pistol or a hand.

Pistol would be reminiscent of Wolfenstein 3D/Spear of Destiny.

How about an infinity symbol?

Awesome. But the font for the status bar is just dreadful for easy and quick deciphering.

EDIT: My mistake, I was looking at older screenshots. The new font works great.

I have started playing pwads using freedoom as base for the new feeling and look it has.

The only thing that ruins all the fun is the incomplete archvile sprites "freedoom - graphic not yet done".

Freedoom 0.10.1 has just been pushed out, repairing an issue with C3M7's compatibility in Boom and completing the flame bringer that Angry Saint complained about ;)

This is looking and sounding better and better!

Though, I do wish there was an alternative to the pickup sound, "DSITEMUP". The old version kinda sounds, well, old and low-quality. Maybe a higher-quality or a complete replacement wouldn't be out of the question?