Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheEndOfUs

Turok HD Remaster out tomorrow

Quasar said:

Well it's nice to see some support at least. The Steam forums are so abusive at this point that I have zero intent to post or respond to any comments there. People attacking us saying we didn't do any hard work or that it's running on an N64 emulator. Kaiser spent most of the last year SLAVING on this shit. The problems have been endless.

We are working like stupid to fix all the bugs and issues that could have been much more simply and calmly addressed during a closed beta that NDS refused to hold because there was a bizarre unreasoned (from my POV at least) rush to get this out in time for the holidays.

Also just a reminder that we have zero influence on the price point as programmers, though I would remind people that Turok is a comic property with about 5 companies sitting on top of it for royalties and that's probably one reason this game has to be more expensive than other NDS releases, in order for NDS to even stand a chance of recouping the dev costs, let alone profitting from it.

When I read that you guys are working on the map editor excitedly I threw my chips at GOG. Instant purchase. Thanks for the work!

I got it from steam for 15.99 and I've been enjoying it very much so far. I remember playing it long time ago when I was a kid and I haven't seen it for quite a long time.
I have a small problem with the audio, it doesn't work properly but other than that pretty stable. I have no problem spending some money on old classics, especially when they have nostalgic value.

bought a copy last night. turok was one of the games my friends had on the n64 but never got a chance to really play. it seemed pretty cool back then, though. i gotta support anyone dusting off these old FPSes for a much wider audience. that bit about the comic license and royalties is pretty good information.

Just played it through yesterday, no crashes or major issues to speak of although there did seem to be a few hit detection issues now and again.
Forgot just how large the levels were and had to continually revisit levels to explore areas i hadn't explored yet.
Still as great as it was back then thanks to its weapon roster and enemy deaths, definitely recommend it.

I've been playing a copy of this that my brother shared with me, I'm pretty impressed with this and I hope to eventually be able to pay money for it sometime. I have noted a few video-related glitches, most likely problems with my hardware or drivers, but turning off certain effects like the light scattering fixed those.

My only regret is that there is no way to circumvent the restrictive save-game system, as of the version I'm running (I have no idea how up-to-date it is with the Steam release).

Yeah the save system is pretty much the exact same as it was in the original N64 version, just the couple of save points you find on each level. Keeps the challenge going i suppose :P.

So I guess the original November 1997 PC port of Turok before this one has been rendered pointless now? I recall it required the disc to even have music which was a pain back then.

Avoozl said:

So I guess the original November 1997 PC port of Turok before this one has been rendered pointless now? I recall it required the disc to even have music which was a pain back then.

It still runs on modern OS it just needs nglide or dgvoodoo for proper full screen. It's missing shiny weapons and some other details though, like the sun in the sky. It's also apparently capped at 38 FPS at all times and the FOV is 45.

Quasar said:

Well it's nice to see some support at least. The Steam forums are so abusive at this point that I have zero intent to post or respond to any comments there. People attacking us saying we didn't do any hard work or that it's running on an N64 emulator. Kaiser spent most of the last year SLAVING on this shit. The problems have been endless.

We are working like stupid to fix all the bugs and issues that could have been much more simply and calmly addressed during a closed beta that NDS refused to hold because there was a bizarre unreasoned (from my POV at least) rush to get this out in time for the holidays.

Also just a reminder that we have zero influence on the price point as programmers, though I would remind people that Turok is a comic property with about 5 companies sitting on top of it for royalties and that's probably one reason this game has to be more expensive than other NDS releases, in order for NDS to even stand a chance of recouping the dev costs, let alone profitting from it.

Forum kids suck. The video shows obvious graphics enhancements in the first 10 seconds. The god-rays, or whatever those are usually called, make it bleeding obvious.

Good job keeping old stuff alive!

Personally, this new port contains a lot of very nice amenities over the 1997 release - sound effects are slightly more accurate to the N64 original, the controls are much more adjustable, there is now an onscreen crosshair (where before, you had to use the map arrow to improvise), better control options, and the ability to selectively toggle most things regarding head bobbing (the original weapon movement does seem rather stupid nowadays). Most importantly, though, you can now actually see where you're going, since the fog distance has been expanded from its original 2 inches.

The enemy AI is supposedly more aggressive, but I have only really seen this in human enemies. Their reaction times are almost Shogo level of ridiculous.

Cyanosis said:

The enemy AI is supposedly more aggressive, but I have only really seen this in human enemies. Their reaction times are almost Shogo level of ridiculous.

I've noticed it with pretty much any projectile based enemy. The demons that charge up a 'hadouken' start the animation as soon as they see me, and even if I kill them before it's finished the projectile is still fired. Same with the priests, and aliens. And the Raptors with blasters on their arms. The Purr-Linns with launchers seem to do the same as well. And they all tend to fire from a much farther distance. It took some getting used to at first, but then I remembered I can control a hell of a lot better now, and if they were as sluggish as they were on N64, the game would just be a cake-walk.

But yeah, never noticed it with the melee enemies, like the humans,priests, demons, or robots with melee weapons, or raptors or leapers. They may have reacted faster to seeing me, but there's usually plenty of time to fire before they get close.

However, the giant red or yellow robots seem quite a bit tamer now. I used to have a difficult time with them, now they're pushovers with a grenade launcher.

I think the "wind-ups" were made so long to give players a chance to run behind the enemies and backstab them with the knife (a move that deals extra damage).

The amount of price whining and half-assery accusations on steam has really died down recently, so it's not all that bad and the few threads that crop up instantly have people popping up to btfo whoever starts them. I've been all over the forums for a while now, among other things bothering Kaiser about the then not-working light shafts (which have been fixed).

It doesn't seem to be an issue but legitimate points (and glitches and stuff) are being brought up here and there on the forums and I'd be able to sleep better if I knew the devs weren't avoiding them altogether. But I do see Kaiser appear here and there to answer things so he seems on top of things.

I really, really appreciate the work that's been put into this and I'm very grateful that I can now finally properly enjoy the game I've wanted to play for the longest time but haven't been able to emulate correctly (textures shrink to hell on my p64) or run through the old pc port (because that one kept crashing all the time).

The game is crazy cool and as an old-time fanatic of Turok 2 I'll definitely be looking into making some levels or something. I just hope that when Turok 2 comes the levels won't be "simplified" to a noticeable degree. I'm a bit worried that level 4's exploratory nature is gonna be compromised! But I've droned enough about all this over on steam.

Don't know why they would mess around with the levels, the ones in Turok 1 were effectively the same that i saw except for one small part in the beginning of the first level.

Apparently something about the catacombs has been changed to remove some "redundant useless hallways".

The reason I'm worried for level 4 is because one of the testers posted that Kaised had said they were gonna fix up level 4 because they felt it was "a pain to navigate" or something.

The good part however is that they also agreed to release a completely untouched original level pack for Turok 1 at some point in the future, so if they change stuff in 2 they might do that also.

Antroid said:

I just hope that when Turok 2 comes the levels won't be "simplified" to a noticeable degree. I'm a bit worried that level 4's exploratory nature is gonna be compromised!

Only thing I've noticed so far in videos is the out-of-the-way keys in maps are put out in front of your mandatory path, so you don't have to hunt too much. They weren't that hard to find in the first place anyway, for example on level 1 for the second key needed you just climb a climbable wall.

I never beat Turok 2 due to level 4 alone, and as a result I never saw level 6. The first three levels have some semblance of a design to them whereas 4 and 5 are literally copypaste corridors and maze-like structures that go on for fucking ever.

Antroid said:

The good part however is that they also agreed to release a completely untouched original level pack for Turok 1 at some point in the future, so if they change stuff in 2 they might do that also.

Heh, that's interesting.

I had an opportunity to run through Turok EX twice now and have very much enjoyed it. I do like how most everything from the N64 version was kept intact, as I was a bit worried the gimped sound from the PC version might be used, for example. It's nice to be able to play Turok so quickly and so fluidly - one of my friends, who played the game for the first time this way, put it best I think - "Dinosaur Quake." Really awesome stuff, and if you can keep up this level of quality for Turok 2 down the line, I will be stoked. There were only a few things I noticed were a bit different or even off from the original release, but nothing major and no crashes. Very cool.

My friends and I are very appreciative and grateful for the work that went into this. You always have our support, and don't ever give even an iota of attention to those little pricks on Steam who are denouncing this for various unbelievably retarded reasons. They are hopeless.

I never thought I'd see Turok on GOG let alone remastered. I figured Turok EX would be something that would be in development for a longer time and be illegitimate like Doom 64 EX but thankfully that wasn't the case. Seriously looking forward to user maps.

Well I finally finished it, I was savoring it so it took me a bit longer to get through it all. Kaiser, Quasar, anyone else involved in making this, you did a fucking amazing job. I know I've already responded in this thread, but it was great replaying Turok. And to be able to replay it with mouse and keyboard, in a way that doesn't suck, it was great. It was money well spent. And hopefully we'll get a level creator sometime soon, I wouldn't mind dicking around with that, or seeing what other people can come up with.

I think a big issue with the price was the expectation that it would be $10. As that's what Strife: VE was. And that's what was floating around on the Steam forum before Turok was released, so everyone thought it would be $10. Without any word from the devs, no confirmation from anyone who had any official information, the price was set at $10 before release. Then you had shits saying they wouldn't pay more than $5, or $3.50 for an 18 year old game. Can't win, don't let it get you down. And hopefully it hasn't, as of right now it has a 96% "very positive" review on Steam with 437 reviews. All the negatives seem to bitch about the price. Or "OMFG they ported a ROM lulz what l00000zerz, didnt do shit".

Well, the folks who can actually appreciate the recreation of the engine do thank you. And hopefully we can get some mod tools. And hopefully we'll see Turok 2. I really wanted to finish it on N64, but it just ran too damn slow so I quit a few levels in. Switched over to Perfect Dark. But It'd be great to play the full thing on PC with as much care and polish went into this release.

I used to play the PC version of Turok quite a bit, but usually got lost, confused, or frustrated. Although a lot of that had to do with me sucking, it also had to do with the confusing controls and near-sighted vision resulting in a number of shitty scenarios.

I've gotten much farther than before with this release. I don't think the price is too bad, considering what's been done with the material. Obviously, there are alot of ignorants.

Cyanosis said:

4 and 5 are literally copypaste corridors and maze-like structures that go on for fucking ever.

Dunno, I think both of them have a completely adequate amount of stand-out areas that I still remember despite not having played this game for like five years (excluding my brief venture into level 1 and a couple zones of 5 yesterday to see if my copy still worked). 4 especially, although I would defend 5 as well.

I can't, of course, argue against there being a lot of corridors, but they're mostly just for connecting other, more unique areas. I recognized everything isntantly in the two or three zones of level 5 that I ran through yesterday.

Also, call me a hipster or something, but I genuinely liked the mazey and samey aspect to levels 4 and 5. I enjoy the feeling of being stuck and lost in the underground world or the gigantic alien hive. That's true immersion for me. Much better than if it was a straight line with cinematic vistas on each side non-stop. I remember actually feeling something like the weight of all the ground above me in level 4 as a kid, I really got into the game then.

So after years of playing only a level or two and then being offput by the controls (or having the game crash), I've run through the entirety of Turok twice now, thanks to this rerelease. I never knew this game could play so quick and actiony with a few tweaks and proper controls.

Thanks a ton to Kaiser and Quasar for working to make this happen! I can't wait for Seeds of Evil.

Antroid said:

Dunno, I think both of them have a completely adequate amount of stand-out areas that I still remember despite not having played this game for like five years (excluding my brief venture into level 1 and a couple zones of 5 yesterday to see if my copy still worked). 4 especially, although I would defend 5 as well.

I can't, of course, argue against there being a lot of corridors, but they're mostly just for connecting other, more unique areas. I recognized everything isntantly in the two or three zones of level 5 that I ran through yesterday.

Also, call me a hipster or something, but I genuinely liked the mazey and samey aspect to levels 4 and 5. I enjoy the feeling of being stuck and lost in the underground world or the gigantic alien hive. That's true immersion for me. Much better than if it was a straight line with cinematic vistas on each side non-stop. I remember actually feeling something like the weight of all the ground above me in level 4 as a kid, I really got into the game then.

True enough, interconnecting pathways that lead to setpiece areas was more-so level 5. I just remember it going on forever though. And no matter how many times I attempted level 4 I got lost repeatedly well before the meat of the level (with the lava and such).

Theme-wise 4 and 5 make sense to be large maze-like places but I still found them an annoying contrast to previous levels. 3 was arguably the shortest and most straightforward and 2 being quite long with a lot of places to visit.

Laughed my ass off after this trailer when I realised nothing was changed, was waiting for comparison video side by side featuring original and remaster

Waffenak said:

Laughed my ass off after this trailer when I realised nothing was changed, was waiting for comparison video side by side featuring original and remaster

Yes, right, nothing. Are you blind or just a troll?

Waffenak said:

nothing was changed

Except for the increased draw distance, increased FOV, increased framerate, bloom effects, water refraction and reflection, actor shadows and so on.

Quasar said:

You need to keep calling them a faggot until they agree with you. Don't let the terrorists win.

Sodaholic said:

Except for the increased draw distance, increased FOV, increased framerate, bloom effects, water refraction and reflection, actor shadows and so on.

Weren't the blood effects already in the original PC version? I seem to recall they were.