Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

New pistol

Pretty cool! Does the sprite account for aspect correction?

BTW, I think the player doesn't have to be left-handed.

MrFlibble said:

Pretty cool!

Thanks. :)

MrFlibble said:

Does the sprite account for aspect correction?

Being me, of course. :P

MrFlibble said:

BTW, I think the player doesn't have to be left-handed.

Yeah, I only did that for consistency with the current sprite. I would be fine with flipping it.

Very nice. :)

A possible suggestion: maybe make the holes on the top of the slide glow? Kinda like how the holes in the rocket launcher glow, but to a much milder extent on the pistol, but only during the firing animation?

It doesn't necessarily have to be realistic... I'd be happier with something that just looks cool.

@frithiof: They're not holes, but I could make them into some and do that glow thing, I like the idea.

Da Werecat said:

Fun fact: ZDoom's broken pistol flash timing looks very aggravating with these sprites.

Then they should fix it.

Sodaholic said:

@frithiof: They're not holes, but I could make them into some and do that glow thing, I like the idea.

My biggest beef with the pistol (in general, relating to Doom) is that it's your starting weapon, and I think it should have a little added flair.

I mean, we don't usually spend a significant amount of time looking at it in most maps, but since it is what Freedoomguy starts out with, and it's implied that this is his personal weapon since you can't actually pick up pistols from anywhere else, why not make it look as cool as possible (while attempting to keep things somewhat tasteful; no ACOG + flashlight on it)?

MrFlibble said:

BTW, may I ask what tools you have used to process the image, aspect-correct it and convert into the Doom palette?

I primarily use Paint.NET for my image editing, aspect ratio correction was done just by scaling it down with 6:5 ratio pixels, the palette conversion was done via making the image greyscale and translating the hand to the brown range.

This is the original image if you're curious:

Hard to tell because of the lighting, but the toy gun is actually blue.

MrFlibble said:

Yes, yes, I am curious, thanks :)

You're welcome. :)

MrFlibble said:

Did you just resize the image with the nearest neighbour sampling?

No, I used fant sampling.

Great job as always.
Question: Do you think you'd be able to make a new punching animation too? As much as I like the current one, the way it comes from the side of the screen is a little awkward and screws up when you use it in ports that allow wide screen resolutions(e.g. Gzdoom).

The widescreen issue has been fixed, but I do intend to make new punching sprites. Gonna use my hands and my dad's hairy and beefy arms.

i say this knowing it will get ignored like almost everything i say, but i think the arms should be unisex looking, like the ones in the eriance sprites

raymoohawk said:

i say this knowing it will get ignored like almost everything i say, but i think the arms should be unisex looking, like the ones in the eriance sprites

I've seen women with hairy arms before. ;) But yeah true.

boris said:

Is there a consensus if the player is wearing gloves or not?

Not that I'm aware of. Personally, I'm leaning toward gloveless. My hands could always be edited into gloves if the consensus is to have them.

boris said:

Is there a consensus if the player is wearing gloves or not?

The fist sprites currently included have gloves, unless someone plans to replace those.

the sprite looks good to me, but the pistol may be too small, i dont know if that is good or bad, considering that the pistol is weak

raymoohawk said:

the pistol may be too small, i dont know if that is good or bad, considering that the pistol is weak

That was deliberate. The current pistol is too cartoony and doesn't fit in with the photo weapons that I made, it's also way too huge compared to the other weapons. The size is pretty close to Doom's size.

MrFlibble said:

I've just checked out version 3 in-game, and it's simply amazing. Why hasn't it been contributed yet?

Because the maintainers don't like my hands, despite them being in the shotgun sprite.

Thanks for the compliment, BTW. :)