Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Zemini

Which source port to edit maps?

Which source port is best or recommended? I see UDMF, Hexen, ect for all these different ports. I just want to make levels. I probably should I figured this out before I started ... Does anyone have a favorite?

However I must of screwed something up with the source/compatible/modes on GZDoom Builder. The Map looks fine on virtual mode, but when I load it up all things and triggers are completely gone.

I added a couple 667 monsters and they worked when I tested it, but between then and there, my map broke.

Well, there is no objectively right answer to this question. Depends if you want the most advanced and flexible features (then choose format UDMF and port ZDoom), or you want compatibility with the widest possible range of ports + the biggest audience of players and speedrunners (then choose vanilla Doom format and stick to vanilla limits), or you want some compromise between them (then go for "limit-removing" or Boom mapping). I've tried to sum up their pros and cons in this post, but their ordering in the list is based merely on my personal preference.

Thanks for the info.

I had to load up a older backup because I broke my maps. UDMF or whatever seems to break everything even if I go back into the mode I was in before.

Going with GZdoom in Doom 2 format for the mean time. It works for adding new monsters from 667 and that was my biggest concern.

Personally, now I map exclusively for GZDOOM: (UDMF) coming from GZDOOM: (DOOM in Hexen format).
I just like the eyecandy that OpenGL provides.

Of course, the path you choose to mapping nirvana is completely up to you.

Just a a couple of thoughts, keeping it brief:

The DOOM2 format is very limited, no matter what others say. Eventually, you will want to perform an action, or combination of actions, which is, are, not available in that format. Once you have learned all there is to know for the DOOM format and you do want to spread your wings, you will have to resort to DEHACKED which also is very limited.

To overcome these limitations you would have to relearn from scratch (okay, the process is similar yet different) using an advanced format such DOOM in Hexen format or UDMF.
The choice is yours, learn once or again later. :-)

Well when I switched to UDMF it breaks my map so I can't really do it. Triggers and things are gone (but visible on the map editor) However I am just mapping to kill time for the new Doom. Going to be a 12 map episode.

EDIT: Apparently there is a converter because it is suppose to break. Ill worry about this later. I am still new to map making more or less.

Zemini said:

when I switched to UDMF it breaks my map

Well, different map formats may have very different internal structures of their map data, so that conversion from one format to another means much more than just changing some label in the header. GZDB can only safely convert Hexen format to UDMF, if I remember correctly. Otherwise you should be using a converter to change format of a map which already exists in another format. When you start a new map from scratch in UDMF format, it's all OK, of course.

Zemini said:

Well when I switched to UDMF it breaks my map so I can't really do it. Triggers and things are gone (but visible on the map editor)

To avoid making assumptions, can you tell us what you did exactly?
Or, better still, provide a link to your initial map.

I Changed map configuration under GZ Doom Builder 2 from GZDoom (doom format) to Hexen or UDMF. I found out that this will indeed break things. My map turns all white.

As for the other issue with no things/triggers; I have been unable to reproduce it as of today. So I am not going to worry about it right now.

Here is the link to my thread dedicated to my wad project.

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/85089-wad-project-phobos-echos/