Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
NaZa

The Lord Project! [WAD in Progress] [2 1/2 MAPS!] [THANK YOU SUITEPEE]

This is my "proper" introduction to these forums. Hello guys, it's 234 here. I want to be a nice guy here, y'know, a Newstuff reviewer, a map maker and so on...

So this is, the Lord Project, my new 32-level megawad.

Since a group of humans were sent off to Io, the number of population to this day on Io is 1 thousand. People are building settlements, and the artificial atmosphere, powered from the core of Io, is running.

But, there is one town, below the Trusch mountain, about whom tales have been told. It's Micha. Befriended by storms and hugged by clouds, to this day, nobody knows anything about this mysterious city.

A legend goes that one of the astronauts from the Ipollo Pi mission was possesed by a demon, and that the demon killed him and granted access to all the devils from the underworld. Soon, the peaceful Micha was possesed by a Plague, and since then, the history of the city is a mystery.

One day, while at work, corporal Maurice Theddy heard that his town, Spatrea, was struck by a zombiefied horde. When he ran home, his daughter was missing.

He decided to follow the traces and soon found a zombie in the old space base "BiggBach", where the astronauts landed. Once he got in through the windows on the roof, the story just began...

MAP01 - Switch Processing: Maybe a bit too rough, but if you know how to play Doom, you will beat it in no time. On lower skill levels it's too easy, and on the higher ones it's unfair. Full of traps nd inspired by Memento Mori. You do not get the shotgun if you're going for UV speed, but you will get it if you go for NM100S.

Music: Custom (I Feel Goofy)

Intermission: Custom (The Happy Flappy)

MAP02 - Miner's Paradise: Set in a mine. Has lots of coo secrets and very nasty traps. You must play it veryy cautiously unless you just WANT to die. To make in easier, I gave you an SSG, but it's still unfair.

Music: HR.wad MAP05 (Core Infection)

Here's the download link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/87akclpn9wi9q3o/lproject.wad

You are free to criticize, to be harsh if you really want to. I think I did a good job.

ALSO I AM AWARE THAT THE CACODEMON CANNOT MOVE. I'LL FIX IT.

I think I can see a walltexture used as a flat in one of the screenshots. So, is this wad ZDoom-only compatible?

scifista42 said:

I think I can see a walltexture used as a flat in one of the screenshots. So, is this wad ZDoom-only compatible?

Yes. I'll add that.

Here's my two cents: When you're just starting out, don't start off with a megawad project. As you continue to map, you'll (most likely) improve significantly, meaning the end product could end up being wildly inconsistent in terms of quality. Personally, I recommend you start with short episodes, or hell, even single map releases.

Those also get done quicker :P

Definitely agree with AD here. I'm just dropping in to say that some of the secrets to a good map isn't always about lots of details and such, but primarily about the map's gameplay, design, and layout. I'd suggest you toy around with a layout for a map, then make it look pretty afterwards.

AD_79 said:

Here's my two cents: When you're just starting out, don't start off with a megawad project. As you continue to map, you'll (most likely) improve significantly, meaning the end product could end up being wildly inconsistent in terms of quality. Personally, I recommend you start with short episodes, or hell, even single map releases.

Those also get done quicker :P

Thanks for that! I find that very helpful. For now, I have only two levels planned in my sketchbook, is it OK to plan levels in a book?

DoomLover234 said:

For now, I have only two levels planned in my sketchbook, is it OK to plan levels in a book?

Go for it!

Breezeep said:

Definitely agree with AD here. I'm just dropping in to say that some of the secrets to a good map isn't always about lots of details and such, but primarily about the map's gameplay, design, and layout. I'd suggest you toy around with a layout for a map, then make it look pretty afterwards.

I understand that and thank you. I always make a sketch in my notebook, then I just map out the layout and do the details at the end. I always try to keep my multi-level WADs as consistent as possible (every exit is the start for ex.). I also first throw in UV skill, and after that I properly balance the level with enough health around bad areas and some "hidden" powerups *nudge*

Did anybody find all the secrets?

Maybe it's a bit too hard... tomorrow I'll start working on Miner's Paradise and Sublimation... and MAP04 will probably be called [Censored]smith but it is a slang, so it shouldn't be a swear word.

so I played this map in ITYTD, HMP, and UV.

the thing I see most is that there don't seem to be any weapon choices other than the pistol and berserk pack. and since there are a few big enemies, like a hell knight before the berserk, plus a mancubus on UV, I feel like there should be some other weapon here (at least a shotgun, since there's shells in the map too). The traps here aren't really that surprising, and the map wasn't really hard on any skill level I played (then again, I take my time in doing these things). the layout is okay, although I am unsure what that secret room near the start is for, other than the zombiemen. The arachnotron is also stuck on the platform unless I shoot or punch him (with the nearby invulnerability secret he really isn't a threat either). The red key area needs work, since the enemy teleports seem to not work sometimes and I only can shoot them with the pistol.

Getsu Fune said:

so I played this map in ITYTD, HMP, and UV.

the thing I see most is that there don't seem to be any weapon choices other than the pistol and berserk pack. and since there are a few big enemies, like a hell knight before the berserk, plus a mancubus on UV, I feel like there should be some other weapon here (at least a shotgun, since there's shells in the map too). The traps here aren't really that surprising, and the map wasn't really hard on any skill level I played (then again, I take my time in doing these things). the layout is okay, although I am unsure what that secret room near the start is for, other than the zombiemen. The arachnotron is also stuck on the platform unless I shoot or punch him (with the nearby invulnerability secret he really isn't a threat either). The red key area needs work, since the enemy teleports seem to not work sometimes and I only can shoot them with the pistol.

Thank you for your opinion.

I didn't give you the pistol because I wanted the map to be difficult, not a cakewalk.
About the traps? Yes, it's MAP01, so the traps shouldn't be the most surprising in the universe. Yet, I know that I made the traps in the Caco area a bit bad.
The secret room is for killing the zombiemen, and yes, it is pointless. I'll remake that.
I have the same problem with the Arachnotron. I don't really know how to fix it tho.
The red key area traps are bad, you're right. I'll think of a way to remake them.

Thanks for letting me know what, in this map, can be done better! I also congratulate you on finding the Invulnerability secret. I take it that you found all of them?

You can make the platform around the arachnotron wider, so that I don't free him myself by hitting him.

yes, I found every secret, didn't really find them too rewarding, or in the case of the soulsphere + invulnerability secrets, more rewarding than necessary. The problem with not having any other weapons is not in that the map ends up being difficult. I can understand that's what you're going for, it's that shooting these kinds of monsters with just the pistol is pretty time consuming and not really as fun. most players I know of don't like shooting lone big enemies with just the pistol.

Getsu Fune said:

You can make the platform around the arachnotron wider, so that I don't free him myself by hitting him.

yes, I found every secret, didn't really find them too rewarding, or in the case of the soulsphere + invulnerability secrets, more rewarding than necessary. The problem with not having any other weapons is not in that the map ends up being difficult. I can understand that's what you're going for, it's that shooting these kinds of monsters with just the pistol is pretty time consuming and not really as fun. most players I know of don't like shooting lone big enemies with just the pistol.

I updated the map and the Arachnotron can move now.
The first secret is now camouflaged and much more rewarding, there are 3 Shotgunners!
The traps around the Caco are now triggered faster.
I'll upload the new version when I finish work on the second map.

Also, in Community Chest you shoot a Mncubus with a pistol as well, so that's kindof the inspiration.

Throwing high-HP monsters against lowly-equipped player might create decent challenge if done properly, but might also create unpleasant tedium if done improperly. You should be trying to avoid that.

scifista42 said:

Throwing high-HP monsters against lowly-equipped player might create decent challenge if done properly, but might also create unpleasant tedium if done improperly. You should be trying to avoid that.

You're right. In my case, I probably made a tedium out of it. Meh.

I am so happy right now! My WAD was played by John SuitePee and it turned out he actually liked it! I'm so happy that I'll begin work on MAP03 simultaneously and I am glad that some of you out there enjoyed my maps. The MIDIs are very goofy, I know, and I am aware of the bugs, but overall I'm very happy. Thank you all and have a Happy New Year.