Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

Star Trek Beyond

YEAH CAUSE STAR TREK IS WAY BEYOND IT'S EXPIRY DATE!!!!!!! [/good joke]

Good god. Just like everything else Trek-related that came after the year 2000, this looks like a pile of fucking shit.

Major TOS and TNG fan here. Star Trek is supposed to be cerebral, but this just looks like it has cerebral palsy.. (OH GOD I'M ON FIRE TODAY)

Any thoughts?

I only got into Star Trek at the middle of this year, I watched all of Voyager and have been playing Star Trek Online since then.

I heard about a new Star Trek series while I have been playing the MMO, however they said it won't be out until 2017 so I don't see how they can also make a separate movie before the series is done.

Eh, the show was sometimes (I think that's pretty generous) cerebral, but the movies never really were. Anyway, I can understand the appeal of this as a scifi action movie full of likable characters, though I can't say the trailer does anything for me either.

Avoozl said:

I heard about a new Star Trek series while I have been playing the MMO, however they said it won't be out until 2017 so I don't see how they can also make a separate movie before the series is done.

Whatever that new series is, it has nothing to do with the current batch of movies, which are a sort of alternate-timeline TOS reboot. I don't mind that idea, but these things manage to simply play up the fights even more every time.

I still think a properly-executed incarnation of Enterprise would make for some awesome Star Trek.

Doomkid said:

Star Trek is supposed to be cerebral,

Says who?

Well, anyway. This Star Trek reboot never was my thing. Those two movies seemed to me like someone took the characters and turned them into generic modern movie stereotypes. Great for a modern audience that has no connection to the old series but not really for someone who grew up with classic Star Trek.

Even if the movie is just this trailer looped for two hours, it'd still be superior to any of the TNG movies.

Graf Zahl said:

I consider that debatable. Depends on what you want to get out of a Trek movie.

I agree with Plinkett on this, the TNG movies go completely out of character of the series. It's not just that they're full of dumbed down aggressive action and pew-pews, I could easily live with that. It's like they're from a parallel universe where Picard is a bloodthirsty maniac that kills for fun and Diana Troy has the arrogant cocktease character of her mother. Basically the crew of the Enterprise chews through opposition like Klingons on the warpath. So dark and edgy.

The problem with every star trek movie is that it has to be a cinema experience.Like they once said about the TOS movies, but which i pull from my memory in a non literal quote : "it has to be spectacular... so add more high quality effect shots of the ship in action."

As long as that J.J.character is earning a lot of money by making these movies, then this capitalist world will let him do what he does... because his movies must be good when looking at the money he makes... while he is just feeding off of the name and fame of the "star trek" franchise.

The main problem i had with his directing is that i want to stop watching after 5 minutes because of the camera motion and viewpoints... it is as if it are hyperactive movies on drugs.

Spoiler

i also played the star trek mmo, but thats almost 2 years ago.

dew said:

I agree with Plinkett on this, the TNG movies go completely out of character of the series. It's not just that they're full of dumbed down aggressive action and pew-pews, I could easily live with that. It's like they're from a parallel universe where Picard is a bloodthirsty maniac that kills for fun and Diana Troy has the arrogant cocktease character of her mother. Basically the crew of the Enterprise chews through opposition like Klingons on the warpath. So dark and edgy.

Have you even seen the same movies as I? Somehow I doubt it, you can't even get the character names right.

Graf Zahl said:

Have you even seen the same movies as I? Somehow I doubt it, you can't even get the character names right.

The best star-trek movie i have ever seen remains... a TNG movie. And Kirk dies in that movie. I have never seen William Shatner play his role better than in that movie.

Graf Zahl said:

Oh no, my argument is invalidated by wrong name spelling! Where should I return my turbonerd card, oh Keeper of Lore?

I've only seen two TNG movies, First Contact and Nemesis. I actually thought FC was a very good, watchable movie. perfect? No. But it was still entertaining. Nemesis was fucking retarded.

You have to remember that these are Star Trek movies. The movies have been historically different than the shows. Also, only TNG could be considered to be any bit cerebral. TOS had some hashed up morals that were antiquated even by the sixties, but the show didn't rely on that so much as it did rely on Sci-Fi escapism into a positive future with a galaxy at (relative) peace. There were still conflicts, and Kirk was definitely a fighter, and as such TOS was also rather action oriented, more so than TNG. As such the action oriented nature of the new Star Trek films actually kind of fits the original series.

It's just that the action doesn't suck this time around and is actually molded around a decent thriller/action/adventure story. The new films might be generic to some respects as a scifi action film, but it's that good kind of generic that you pop into your player and be treated to a decent story with some entertaining scenes and good actors doing what they do best by doing their best.

In Reaper I trust.

Saw this trailer the other day - took 20 seconds before the inevitable EXPLOSIONS started. Looks like the spirit of Roddenberry is dead and buried at this point.

I've never cared about wrestling. But, when I watched The Wrestler, I got sucked into that world of danger, pain and showmanship. I've never really cared about boxing either, but films like Million Dollar Baby and the first Rocky draw you into the action with the immense determination on display. I've also never cared about generic, fake, inconsequential fight scenes, and after watching the trailer for Star Trek Beyond, I still don't, because scenes like this contribute nothing to the story and deep down we're all just waiting for them to end. At least The Matrix and Equilibrium had style.

I actually liked the first J. J. Abrams Star Trek movie on its own terms, and it's kind of refreshing that they're trying to de-escalate the scale of the story with Beyond. But, come on. You have all of space at your disposal. Do something cool with it.

(Anime geek alert: the most compelling portrayal of high-tech spaceship combat I've seen to date was in Starship Operators.)

Seeing how the last movie was horrible and the one before that was OK, I might just wait until this new movie arrives on DVD.

If there is no DVD version though, I will most likely never watch it.

Clonehunter said:

Nemesis was fucking retarded.

And not quite coincidentally, apart from the first Trek movie, the only one who was directed by someone with no previous Trek experience. And it clearly shows in execution - with both. With a better director Nemesis would have been a lot better. Why did they choose someone whose only previous efforts have been two mediocre action films that also had massive execution problems? I knew the moment the director was named that he'd screw it up - and he certainly did.

Aside from more modern moral stances and special effects, I find TOS and TNG to be the two most similar pieces of Trek history by a long shot. Everyone knows TNG has a lot of social commentary almost "masked", but after giving a few TOS episodes a shot, I still find a lot of the same. Commentary about the way men view women? Check. Commentary on what too much power does to people? Check. Commentary on questioning your preconceived notions? Huge check. Lots of similar teachings in that show I tell ya hwat.

Creaphis nailed it - This trailer is not compelling at all. It's so generic in every feasible way... Ok, we get it directors, your billion dollar budgets allow you to over saturate literally all films with 1337 realistic explosions now. Cool. What about the plot? What about those bits that make you think?

Side rant but I swear an absurd amount of modern media can be summed up with a Zappa lyric: "The people think that substance is a bore, but if it looks good, hurry on back for more!"

This is going to be a piece of garbage, like that one movie that just came out that was directed by someone other than George Lucas. Star Wars the Force Awakens, or something like that.

People who don't have experience directing Star Wars movies will always produce inferior movies, unlike George Lucas. Similarly, people who do not have experience directing Star Trek movies will also produce inferior movies.

It is only logical to think this way. Live long and prosper.

I am also above the age of 25, and I have started to have difficulty adapting to new concepts, and learning new information... it troubles me.

Doomkid said:

Side rant but I swear an absurd amount of modern media can be summed up with a Zappa lyric: "The people think that substance is a bore, but if it looks good, hurry on back for more!"

Why do you think LSD ("acid") is so popular?

frithiof said:

This is going to be a piece of garbage, like that one movie that just came out that People who don't have experience directing Star Wars movies will always produce inferior movies, unlike George Lucas.

Oh, boy, haven't we made a fool of ourselves?

Reality check: Of the seven SW movies released, the least popular have ALL been directed by George Lucas himself. And Episode 1 is easily the worst of the entire bunch.

And please check up who actually directed The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi!

Graf Zahl said:

Oh, boy, haven't we made a fool of ourselves?

Reality check: Of the seven SW movies released, the least popular have ALL been directed by George Lucas himself. And Episode 1 is easily the worst of the entire bunch.

And please check up who actually directed The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi!

So, basically, what you are saying is that Star Wars (Episode 4) was a massive piece of shit because George Lucas directed it?

You sound like the kind of person that uses GZdoom as a source port.

frithiof said:

Why do you think LSD ("acid") is so popular?

Is it really that popular still?

People have taken LSD for many, many reasons over the years, but I get the impression a lot of young folk are into all this MDMA shit, not LSD. People don't want to think anymore.

With that said - why is this relevant to Star Trek? I'm not trying to be an ass here, I'm genuinely curious.

Doomkid said:

Is it really that popular still?

People have taken LSD for many, many reasons over the years, but I get the impression a lot of young folk are into all this MDMA shit, not LSD. People don't want to think anymore.

With that said - why is this relevant to Star Trek? I'm not trying to be an ass here, I'm genuinely curious.

It was just a response to the side rant that I quoted.

Ah, so the bit about people loving superficial substance-lacking crap. I'm still curious about what you meant about LSD though?

frithiof said:

So, basically, what you are saying is that Star Wars (Episode 4) was a massive piece of shit because George Lucas directed it?

No, I said that his other films were shit. You made it sound like he was the only competent director to direct Star Wars. Which he clearly was not.

frithiof said:

You sound like the kind of person that uses GZdoom as a source port.

Of course, why do you think I made it? :P

Doomkid said:

Ah, so the bit about people loving superficial substance-lacking crap. I'm still curious about what you meant about LSD though?

Well, I kinda like LSD, myself. It was the first hallucinogenic I've ever tried, and it is still my favorite (jenkem is cheap as shit, but it's really not the same).

Honestly, most of the fun comes from seeing things that look good, for the most part. And of course, there's that weird buzz that sometimes makes me feel really happy.

But it is a bit superficial, in many ways, as what I'm experiencing isn't necessarily "real". It's like prozac, or zoloft, or whatever... they are drugs that modify how reality is perceived.

For me, drugs like LSD are the equivalent of a cheap vacation when I can't afford to spend the money on an actual trip elsewhere. And for most people, they view movies as a sort of cheap trip into a world of fantasy where they can go somewhere else. Somewhere where they can enjoy, on some level, what they are experiencing.

frithiof said:

For me, drugs like LSD are the equivalent of a cheap vacation

Sorry to become harsh now, but I consider people like you a menace because they give a bad example to the youth.

Taken from an earlier post of you:

frithiof said:

I am also above the age of 25, and I have started to have difficulty adapting to new concepts, and learning new information... it troubles me.

Drug-induced brain damage, maybe...? :D

Graf Zahl said:

Sorry to become harsh now, but I consider people like you a menace because they give a bad example to the youth.

Taken from an earlier post of you:

Drug-induced brain damage, maybe...? :D

You are just mad because you know you created GZdoom.

Why couldn't you have created Chocolate Doom?! *shakes fist, angrily*

GZdoom has probably killed more people than LSD. I can't be the only one that accidentally created a map with GZdoom Builder that summoned interdimensional monsters as a result of its lack of sanity checking (apparently you can make certain shapes that bend the rules), and GZdoom... it just loaded it right up! It should have crashed, bro. It should have crashed...

Back on topic, I actually kinda liked the last two Star Trek movies. I wasn't too fond of seeing overweight members of TOS... and Shatner wasn't really all that good of an actor. The show worked in spite of him.