Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

Revolution! MIDI Pack project (COMPLETE! Also a surprise on page 10)

Akse: Thanks for the contribution!

I have nothing to complain about this track, as nothing sounds wrong as such. Sounds like some of Black Sabbath's more mellow tracks, with those heavy fifths. You've got some cool ideas in this one, but all it needs is for them to be fleshed out, allowed to come into their own.

I think you definitely need a new instrument to come in at the section starting at 1:17 (and the repeat at 2:34) - maybe some strings instead of the mute guitar. And a new one at 1:30 as well - maybe a slightly higher distortion guitar? Or some frenetic, melody-driven saw lead would also be cool.

The guitar solo at 2:46 could probably be on an overdriven, perhaps with a subtle echo? That would really call attention to that particular part, rather than having it kind of camouflage in with the rest of the track. And since that guitar solo repeats towards the end of the track, maybe a fadeout would be neat on all tracks but the guitar, before the final drum hit comes back?

Nice work overall! Hope this isn't asking too much.

---

Soooo heyyyyyy everyone else, how's about we get the ball rolling again? :O

Structurally speaking, my first submission is nearly complete, after that it just needs additional elements.

I really dig your track, Aske. It has a nice groove to it. I think if you take some of Jimmy's advice, it could give it just a bit more "punch", but it's really suitable for the map and is just darn groovy.

i've kind of hit a major art-block recently regarding music and a lot of other things, so i probably won't be contributing anymore to this project for a long while. granted, it seems to be doing fine, and i've already contributed 4 tracks to this, so i guess i'm not really in a bad spot to say this, but i just thought i'd mention it.

First contribution done. Made with MAP24 in mind, but might also fit 13.

Beneath the Stars (03:31)

It's not the most ambitious piece, quite simple structure and chords being used, but that's sort of what I was going for anyway. Even augmented chords have their place :V

EDIT: Shameless plug

Eris Falling: I gave you my thoughts on IRC so yeah. :V Really great stuff!

EDIT: Also I've cleared jmickle66666666's MAP01 and MAP03 slots since he requested I do so, via IRC.

---

Download Revolution! MIDI Pack alpha 1

We're nearly halfway done with this project now (with 15 completed tracks out of the total 35!) so I figured it was time for an alpha! This should stir up a bit of intrigue outside of the contributors, I hope.

This alpha includes both the music WAD and the "now playing" WAD, which you can run together with ZDoom and it will display the name of the track being played when you load it up. I have included a few tracks that currently could be considered Work In Progress (as I'm awaiting responses to the feedback I gave their authors), although the tracks are still suitable for showing.

There's some really fantastic quality tracks in this set from all the contributors, so everyone please check 'em out!

Outside feedback is very very strongly encouraged!

Track Listing:
Title: "Tzimidzi Greets You" by CWolfRu and Jimmy
Intermission: "Imp's Tradition" by DoomLover234 and Jimmy
02. "Trash" by Alfonzo
04. "Westopolis" by Doomhuntress
05. "Last Resort" by Jimmy
06. "Wasted" [WIP] by Doomkid
08. "Hangar 7" by Jimmy
09. "Phalarope Shuffle" by yakfak
10. "Mint Petal" by Doomhuntress
11. "Smooth Infiltrator" [WIP] by Kassman
12. "Midnight Dinner" by CWolfRu and Jimmy
14. "Super Mecha HG" [WIP] by Hellish Godzilla
15. "Sappers & Moles" by yakfak
16. "The Revenant" by KevinHEZ
17. "Mining for Paranoia" [WIP] by Akse
20. "Black Colossus" [WIP] by Hellish Godzilla
23. "Ancient Enclosure" by Doomhuntress
24. "Beneath the Stars" by Eris Falling
26. "Reach Within" by Jimmy
28. "I Sacrifice" [WIP] by Hellish Godzilla
29. "Souls Trapped Between Rotten Bricks" by ClumsyDoomer
* 21 tracks total.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed so far - we've got something very cool in the works right here. :)

excellent, project is going swimmingly.
I might change the progression of pha_shuf because it is currently dumb as heck

some of the MIDIs in the pack seem really loud and brickwalled to be honest but it might be me using volumes other than 127 to blame =P

Jimmy said:

as I'm awaiting responses to the feedback I gave their authors

I'm working on it.

I also thinking about claiming map01 as well.

yakfak said:

excellent, project is going swimmingly.
I might change the progression of pha_shuf because it is currently dumb as heck

some of the MIDIs in the pack seem really loud and brickwalled to be honest but it might be me using volumes other than 127 to blame =P

in my experience, turning a MIDI's volume to 127 isn't usually a problem, it is if you combine it with having all the note velocities being at 100 too. have either one or the other and it should be fine, IMO. the reason i turn the volume knobs up all the way is because otherwise they get overpowered by the SFX ingame, usually.

My MIDI editor just has 'note volume' and 'track volume'. The max is 16 on tracks so I usually set it to 13 or 14. Note volume is just used to manually phase stuff in/out. I don't think mine should be too loud compared to any others, at least I hope not. I'm stuck with a really crummy, tiny set of speakers at the moment so it's honestly hard to judge at the moment.

Jimmy said:

a few tracks that currently could be considered Work In Progress (as I'm awaiting responses to the feedback I gave their authors), although the tracks are still suitable for showing.

I'd still like to be part of the project, but I've had other demands on my time and energy this month (mostly schoolwork). If you or anyone else would like to tune up my work, go ahead. You're also welcome to discard my work. That would not offend me.

Eris Falling said:

First contribution done. Made with MAP24 in mind, but might also fit 13.

Beneath the Stars (03:31)

It's not the most ambitious piece, quite simple structure and chords being used, but that's sort of what I was going for anyway. Even augmented chords have their place :V

EDIT: Shameless plug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE3_OeDNkD4

You're too modest, it's a pretty great song. My favorite in the pack so far, along with ClumsyDoomer's "Souls Trapped".

Gez said:

You're too modest, it's a pretty great song. My favorite in the pack so far, along with ClumsyDoomer's "Souls Trapped".

Even after winning "best music" contests, he never stops being humble :p

It's a great tune, the guitar came in exactly as I was thinking "a guitar would be nice here" - Really sets the mood pretty damn well if you ask me!

Thanks there, dobu. ;P

And done!

Freighthoppers (3:04)

Could probably still use some minor tweaks, but I'm pretty happy with this. I almost feel like I wrote it too quickly, haha. (To be fair, there's a lot of c&p going on here. :P)

Gez said:

My favorite in the pack so far, along with ClumsyDoomer's "Souls Trapped".

Just wow.
It was a great childish pleasure when I got my old crappy tracks accepted in PMPP along with awesome stuff by other people, but this time I can make myself stop thinking that I'm spoiling the entire pack.

MAP30 can be completed in ten seconds, so naturally, here is a four-minute MIDI for it. (someone please use this in their map one day so it isn't another petrichor D:)

The Forgotten God - 04:07

I don't think I actually know any other chords x_x

edit: As a disclaimer, I did try putting other chords outside these three in, but it always sounded wrong D:

edit 2: Updated link, corrected a small error in the metadata, and bass is now picked like it should have been to begin with.

Excuse me while I sneakily edit this in too...

Spoiler

Eris Falling said:

MAP30 can be completed in ten seconds, so naturally, here is a four-minute MIDI for it.

blame Opening to Hell for that. it's such a well-made MIDI, but the battle itself is so bland and forgettable.

KevinHEZ: Hmm, interesting track. Again, it's long. 7 minutes is perhaps a bit higher than would fit a TVR! map, since they're all succinct and action-packed. That said I'm not even sure it needs to be that long - the content doesn't really justify the length, since the song kind of sticks to its guns and doesn't particularly branch out into wildly different territories throughout its duration. Musically it's cool, although I think we might struggle to find a slot for it. Thanks for the contribution, anyhow! I'll keep it in the reserve.

Eris Falling: You know what I think of this, but I'll reiterate summarily: fantastic stuff. Also congrats on being the 17th (of 35) completed track. We're near-as-damnit halfway done now! :D

Akse: Hmm, an improvement, yes, the variation in instrumentation certainly helps things. I personally would have gone a bit more liberal with the heavy guitars, but I do like how this is, and certainly not every track needs to be heavy rockin' shit. Nice work. I think I'll call this done unless anyone has any additional feedback for you.

Also cheers! :3

---

Since a couple of people have dropped out (jmickle and AD), I'd like to remind everyone that there are still empty slots! Namely 03, 18 and 22.

I'm also gonna need updates from Alfonzo, yakfak, Kassman and DoomLover234 about how they feel about their current slots, since I've not heard much about where they've got to with their unfinished tracks.

Wow, map22 is free? Can I take it?
PS: I'll probably keep that "acidic lymph" track I showed in IRC for my own map. I don't think it deserves a good place here.

Next track shouldn't be too far away; a couple of days at the most. If I don't cough up in that time I'll relinquish a couple.

Jimmy: I still intend to do another tune for this at some point, but if you think it's got momentum and wanna finish the pack quick then free me up - I'm currently making tunes for my own projects!

Jimmy said:

unless anyone has any additional feedback for you.

Will be appreciated.

Jimmy said:

I personally would have gone a bit more liberal with the heavy guitars

I'd like to if you can suggest where to add it. Solo, for example, sounds like crap when i cast overdrive/distortion upon it.