Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

Revolution! MIDI Pack project (COMPLETE! Also a surprise on page 10)

My laptop is dead. Not sure if the repair people can fix it but it could be anywhere between several days to about 2 weeks before I can do anything. Fortunately there was nothing in progress to be lost.
Anyway I decided that I won't give in to creative block so I'll hang onto my slot for now. I just hope I don't end up being the only one holding this back

i could give out some more stuff to this project should some people be unable to contribute to their slots in a timely manner. i don't have much new stuff in order, but i could pawn off some old stuff into here if needed.

Oh no, it's King Roo: a track for map32. This one bounces around a bit with the time sig, so it might sound affronting to the ear at first... or indeed at last! Quibbles welcome; this is a risky track and it may expose my lack of understanding in musical theory.

Oh man, that track really is killer.. I love how the rhythm is so groovy while the bassline is so tense. Great guitar licks in the middle, and the brass at the end sounded very Klemmy. Nice one!

Cheers, Doomkid! I'm a bit worried that I've bitten off more than I can chew with those signatures, though: I usually play ball in the familiar courts of 4/4, 3/4, 7/8 and 5/8 and so on.. Hopefully the percussion doesn't sound too ham-fisted and I'm just be being on edge, but I'd be surpised if I pulled this one off without a hitch!

Alfonzo: Maaaan this hits all the nails on all the metaphorical noggins, I reckon. :D Consider it added to the first post and the next alpha/beta.

Jimmy said:

ClumsyDoomer, anything to show for MAP22?

High-grade sleepiness, forgetfulness and health problems hold my neck tight right now, sorry for that. I won't ditch it though. Hopefully it will be ready in a week.

Get well soon, man, that sucks to hear. :( Serious unfortunate circumstances befalling this project, geez. Thanks very much for the update, though.

Jimmy said:

Akse, how's your time to work on MAP03's track been?

Counterproductive for quite a while. Slowly, but surely though we got this party started. A demo will be ready soon.
P.S. Sorry for keeping you waiting.

There's no way .NET Framework 4 ever works for me again.

Sorry, but I relinquish my claims on MAPs 25 and 27!

Whoops, I missed these replies at first. Thanks for the updates, people, the first post has been updated with the claim changes.

Unearth is a track for the wormy Haustereum (tautology?!). Went in with a half a mind for what I was doing and came out with an almost DN3D-like mash-up between Plasma and PRIMEVAL's 'Jungle' for PRCP. It's a sort of understated track: plenty of mixing but not all of it immediately noticeable. Should fit the mould!

Alfonzo: Hardly bears me saying again, but great stuff as per the usual - consider this added. :)

Doomhuntress: Mmm, I'm not really feeling this one, I'm afraid. The wailing guitar at the beginning is a bit of an earsore, and the track itself just feels a bit too speedy. The map in question is a small, confined castle-like structure, so I'm thinking something far slower, and generally more ominous or even ambient would fit better in that slot.

Thank you for the contribution nonetheless! I'm sure it can find a decent home somewhere. I will place the track in the "Unassigned" bracket for now so it gets bundled with the finished project even if it doesn't get one of the slots - unless you'd object to that, of course.

it's alright. i just shoved it here to just try and make the workload a little lesser now that two new slots opened up. i don't really have anything new to contribute to this project though, so i'll let someone else deal with it.

ughhh I just can't seem to at all make anything worth a damn, had to try it again though

dropping out again, sorry!

WAIT I think I might be getting somewhere now. Convenient timing, I know :x

Going to try one more fuckin time. Back to 27 please. If I do drop out a third time, that'll be the last, I promise :P

Don't really feel like this is up to the same standard as my previous two, but I'm bored with the song now, so here it is. For MAP13.

Haze (3:08)

Obligatory shameless video plug

Spoiler

Eris Falling: This is pretty great. It maybe has less of a hooky kind of feel than your other tracks, but it's got oodles of atmosphere and melancholy, befitting of the cemetery setting of MAP13. I love that the melody and harmony intensifies just slightly at the 2:00 mark. The track kind of reminds me of Jade Empire from the Plutonia MIDI Pack, and it also feels a bit like my Geometry if it wasn't quite such a garbled mess. :D

Consider this added! I think you did a bang-up job personally. There'll always be those few tracks we work ourselves to death on only to end up entirely uninspired by the finished product. But I feel that everything with honest effort and critical thinking applied to it certainly has merit all of its own. :)

It's been a while, so here's my my map22 track demo, just in order to show some progress. Still raw, the drum patterns suck a bit and the solo I was talking about in IRC is missing. There are some noticeable changes though, so check them out. Damn, I'm really bad at working hard.
PS: I'm (hopefully) getting a real electric guitar tomorrow, so it will be even more fun to make that solo. \m/

ClumsyDoomer: This is a really great start. Can't wait to see what you do with that solo. :D I'm actually liking the drums a lot already, but of course I won't object to further improvements! Really nice outro too.

I'm currently working on MAP25's Keepsake Fever. Should be done with it some time today or tomorrow - it still needs another couple minutes at least - but in the interest of keeping things moving I'll drop it here for now. Comments welcome, yay or nay!

Very nice start, fonz!

'Progress' update my track: Struggling. Started over a couple times and it's not looking (or sounding, for that matter) good. I hate having stuff that sounds good in my head and then being unable to actually translate it over to MIDI. I'm going to make one last-ditch attempt this weekend, as I really want to pull through with this.

Alfonzo: "Keepsake Fever" is wonderful so far. I love the drums in the intro to bits, and the choir is constantly interesting and dissonant. The "rain" solo is quirky and jarring - I'm not sure if I'm fully used to it yet after a few listens, but "unsettling" seems to be very much the atmosphere you're going for here.

I'd maybe recommend getting the drums to follow what the rain solo is doing, and bring that rhythm in just a few times over the course of the track.

Have no other criticisms, it's shaping up superbly. Am certainly looking forward to the finished product. :D

Aww, now my Anvil Studio finally works again! Welp, good luck to everyone and let me know if a spot opens up.