Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Azuruish

Comic Sans Font

As a visual artist, I find it to be a really ugly and childish looking font. It was developed during a time in which we didn't have many choices for hand-drawn looking fonts. It wants to look "analogue," but it's way too digital looking to be aesthetic. It's hard to imagine where it could possibly look any good, even in the context of a comic strip.

joe-ilya said:

Doomworld needs comic sans as default font.

No... let's take it to the Next Level!

Freedoom should use comic sans as the default font!!

joe-ilya said:

Doomworld needs comic sans as default font.

Your web browser most likely allows you to provide custom style sheets, so you can make every site appear as such.

However, Comic Sans would not work as a font because systems might be lacking it (such as mine, Comic Sans is an evil non-free font made to suppress the will of its users), and in most browsers there lacks an ability to use web fonts or there is the ability to disable them.

Ichor said:

The problem isn't so much the font itself, but on how widespread it was back in the 90s. It was used for just about everything, even for things where that font just wouldn't work. For instance, suppose a life insurance company has a website that uses comic sans. That summons you just got? Imagine if it was written in comic sans. See that war memorial over there? Comic sans. Some people just got tired of seeing it everywhere.

Yeah, this pretty much described why people dislike the font.

Anyways, I find the hate on Comic Sans ridiculous, and I generally like the font as it has a cute look to it. Even though it was used a lot as Ichor said, I don't see how it could be considered that annoying.

i never knew about any of this before i encountered this thread... i didn't even know about comic sans being used a lot. (°_°)'

There's a similar hate among web developers for html tables, and especially table-layout web pages.

Now, I'm just a humble back-end dev, but tables seem to work fine for these forums... >_>